Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody out there?

I would love to hear from anybody in the North Kansas City area...what kind of follow-up & support are you getting from your doctors? Do any of the clinics or hospitals in the Nortland offer support groups? I am new to this area. I was banded in March of 08. I have had very SLOW weight loss. Medically I am doing great, but the progress has been not at all what I expected. Total of 35 pounds. I am really having a hard time staying motivated. Everytime I have gone in for an adjustment, the doc was in & out of the room within 5 minutes. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Caligirl55 -- I work at Weight Loss Surgical Center, and while we don't have a northland location, we have two clinics in the KC area, both with support groups. One is at our Overland Park clinic, off Highway 69 and 135th. It meets every third Saturday at 11 a.m.

The other is at our Independence clinic inside the southeast entrance of Independence Center mall. It meets the first Wednesday of every month at 6:00 p.m.

You can also check our Weight Loss Surgical Center community link for a local, online support group.

Hey, thanks for the info. I'm really surprised that an area as large as KC has so few resources for bariatric patients. My biggest struggles are motiivation & accountability. The computer is fine, but it doesn't replace a face to face group with real people sharing their stories & challenges. In fact, my whole experience with this surgery has been pretty impersonal, my doctor & his staff are very nice, but very busy & very, well, impersonal. From the receptionists to the nurses to the nutritionists. So I was hoping to connect with a group in KC. I probably will try out the support groups available, but the choices don't seem to be that great. Best of luck to all.....

New Hope Bariatrics also has a monthly support group and nutritional group. They are located in Overland Park, KS. Depending on where you live in the Northland, in can be a bit of a drive. I know bc I live in the northland too, but it is so worth it. The meetings are free to anyone, not just their patients. The support group meets the 2nd saturday of every month. I don't know if I can post the website, but you can google it. I will be at June's meeting, I hope to see you there. Feel free to pm me if you want another KC northlander to talk to.