Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had banding March 25th and first fill April 28th. 1cc was added because I'd done so well .........hardly felt restriction maybe for 2 days. Now almost 2 weeks out from 1st fill and I've gained 2lbs! Yikes! Help can y'all tell me has anyone else had this happen? I'm trying to stay positive but what should I do? I've called dr.'s office they say I can't get another fill (they do them every 30 days) I'm just so upset, lots of questions........is it me, am I doing something wrong?

Many people either don't lose or gain until they have good restriction and many docs will NOT do aggressive fills (mine's one of them) because of reports of severe issues like esophageal spasms etc. I think you need to just chill, honestly. The band is a process and for some of us it's slower than others. Just try to make healthy choices, watch your portions, and let it happen.

My doc won't do a fill any sooner than 4 weeks apart either. It took me 5 fills to get restriction of any sort.

Just out of curiosity, was that gain overnight? Because if it was, you will always be subject to fluctuations of 2 or 3 or even 5 pounds sometimes. Eat on plan, drink your fluids and do whatever exercise you normally do and it should just go away in a day or so.

Just curious, why would she always be subject to fluctuations of weight? Not everyone retains Water and some who are obese, once they lose, are not as prone to the fluctuations. ? And usually those that do fluctuate can track it to either hormonal issues or excess salt...or exercise/heat.

Truly, I know we all weigh ourselves daily or weekly, but its more often than we should. If your weight at the end of a month is less than at the start then you're doing great. Weight loss occurs over time, day to day we fluctuate and 2lb is just plain insignificant. Our fluctuations are simply Water weight, our fat stores dont change readily.

Nonetheless I get pissed too when i see small gains. But truly, its nothing to worry about.

Monkey, she isn't going to personally prepare every bite of food that goes in her mouth; therefore, she cannot have 100% over sodium content, etc. If she's of child-bearing age, she will be subject to hormone fluctuations which also cause Water retention. Some medications cause Fluid retention (and some cause ALOT) but I didn't even take that into consideration. The simple reality is that it takes 3,500 calories above what it takes to maintain your body weight to gain one pound. If she gained it overnight (which was what I asked first off), then it HAS to be water because nobody here is eating 7,000 extra calories above what it takes to maintain their body weight (and they shouldn't even be eating what it takes to maintain their body weight). But she didn't mention any of those factors (time of month, eating, over what period of time she gained the 2 pounds, etc). I was trying to point out a possibility

Geez, I typed my whole response and then deleted it. Here goes again. First of all, I asked if the gain was suddenly (as in overnight). That would be a big indicator that it is Water, simply because it takes 3,500 extra calories above what it takes to maintain your body weight to gain one pound. If she gained 2 pounds overnight, you can bet she didn't eat 7,000 extra calories or she wouldn't even be here asking this question. Females of childbearing age are always subject to hormonal changes from day to day and that can cause Fluid retention of as much as 5 pounds in some women. Other things like medications come into play as well. And the other obvious thing is that she doesn't prepare personally every bite of food that goes in her mouth and that means she does not have control of potential levels of sodium. For example, did you ever look at the sodium in cheese and have any concern over the impact it had in the scheme of things? And some foods naturally have sodium in them that people don't event think about.

slow and steady wins the race!! I am good at beating myself up too...we just need to chill....