Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie here with lots of questions

Hi there! I am considering getting either the lap band or Gastric bypass surgery. My doctor just sent the referal yesterday. I am 37 years old and have a load of health problems due to my weight. This is my deal; I have Diabetes, Cholestorol, knee and ankle problems and I have polycstic ovaries which prevent me from ovulating monthly thus having only one child (very thankful for him)

I am mostly doing this for my health and energy level basically my quality of life. I dont expect to jump into a swimsuit anytime soon as I know I will have lots of extra sagging (not looking forward to that)

Based on what I have been reading I may just opt for the lap band it doesnt sound so invasive.

Please bear with me as I have LOTS of questions and have never participated in a forum; Here are my questions to you:

:mad2:

Lap band VS Bypas surgery ?

What is a FILL?

How soon did you hear from the Richmond location after the dr referal?

How long b4 your surgery was actually scheduled?

what are the regrets if any, you had after the surgery?

any suggestions on things you should have considered before the surgery?

How was Kaiser, were they sensitive to this issue?

Did you go to many appointments, I live in Sacramento so I'm concerned about that

Did anyone have marriage problems after? I'm afraid because I have always been chunky and my husband met me this way and my son loves me this way too (just not being so unhealthy) he says, I feel like a comfy pillow. I asked my husband how he will feel about this frastic change but he said whatever I need to do to get healthy because he is also concerned. and I know my son would rather I be healthy than always have aches and pains becuase he worrys about losing his mommy.

Please HELP ! sorry for the long post but I have many questions and would like the honest truth not from a Doctor who hasnt experienced it.:D

What is a FILL?

a fill is an adjustment made with saline to the band itself....if you look at a band or a picture of one, it has a "balloon" on the inside that is filled with saline over a period of time to give you the ability to adhere to your diet.

How soon did you hear from the Richmond location after the dr referal? N/A, I'm in Atlanta

How long b4 your surgery was actually scheduled? My first visit with the surgeon was 1/2 and surgery was on 2/10

what are the regrets if any, you had after the surgery? None so far, except that I didn't do it sooner

any suggestions on things you should have considered before the surgery? Not really. My doctor's office went over a lot of information in person and gave me a lot more to take home and read. And I'd done a lot of research on my own before that visit.

How was Kaiser, were they sensitive to this issue? N/A

Did you go to many appointments, I live in Sacramento so I'm concerned about that 2 visits before surgery; 1 10 days out, then fills every 30 days (you'll need 3 or 4 or even 5 to get to your sweet spot)

Did anyone have marriage problems after? I'm afraid because I have always been chunky and my husband met me this way and my son loves me this way too (just not being so unhealthy) he says, I feel like a comfy pillow. I asked my husband how he will feel about this frastic change but he said whatever I need to do to get healthy because he is also concerned. and I know my son would rather I be healthy than always have aches and pains becuase he worrys about losing his mommy. Another N/A

I went through Richmond Kaiser.....we have a thread going right now called Richmond Kaiser if you do a search. Lots of Kaiser ladies over there.

1. I went to orientation two weeks after the referral.

2. There are about 5-6 appointments and you do have to drive to Richmond for them.

3. You have to lose 10% of your body weight to get surgery.

4. You will be on a diet of 1200 calories for the duration.

5. The faster you lose weight the faster you get a surgery date. average is about 6 months.

6. I had orientation on December 12 and surgery on APril 13. I could have had it in March but wanted to go on vacation first.......

7. No regrets

8. Huge lifestyle change so make sure your ready for this. This is nothing to play around with.

9. Relationships are a challenge after weight loss depends on your situation........Kaiser talks about this.

Come over the other site we have lot of people to anger your questions!!

Thanks for all the info...I did go on Richmond Kaiser very cool. I love knowing there is local support I can go to. Can I attend your meeting on I think was May 22?? Anyway, I recieved my orientation date yesterday I didnt expect it to be so quick. I am so excited! It's at 7:30 AM! on May 26. I plan to drive myself, if my husband can't get the day off. How is the drive? I was thinking of leaving at 5:30 am from Elk Grove. Is that adequate time? I am sooooo excited I am ready to be at a normal weight! my family is very excited too. I am always in pain either spraining my knee, ankle I am just a complete mess I know it's becuase of my weight, I am weighing 256 and I'm 5'2. I hope this helps me!!! I have so many mixed feelings about this decission but more and more I feel it's best for me.