Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cost questions

Hi ! ! I have read a lot of imformation about the lap band it seems like the obesity surgery that will best fit me.

My problem is my employer is self insured and does not cover the surgery even after letters from 5 doctors stating that I should have the surgery and why. I'm morbidly obease and have both a thyroid and adult growth hormone problem which keeps me from losing the weight.

Does anyone know if there are any agencies that can help me in the funding the cost of the procedure. I just do not have that kind of money laying around at this time.

I would appreciate any comments at all.

There are some financing options... In Richardson, TX we have the American Institute of Gastric Banding (AIGB). They have some financing people that may be able to help you.

I may have to use them myself, if BCBS gets persnicketty on me. I start harassing them for an answer on Friday...

But back to you: try calling AIGB - 214-389-7430. They may be able to give you some info on financing.

:]

In Richardson TX we have AIGB - American Institute of Gastric Banding. They have some financing people they work with.

Even if you aren't in TX - they may be able to direct you to a financing source.

214-389-7430

That was my big problem with my insurance company also. I got financing through Capital One medical, my dr's office gave me their number. I was able to get the full amount and have monthly payments. My loan is for 60 months so my payments aren't too bad. I think of it as a loan for my health, something I needed to do badly. I can get you their number if you want it, you apply over the phone and know if you are approved right away.

Dawn D

Banded 8/17/05

Dr. Marsden

I'm morbidly obease and have both a thyroid and adult growth hormone problem which keeps me from losing the weight.

Before you consider any form of weight loss surgery make sure your medical issues are optimized. For example, the thyroid gland is sort of the 'thermostat' of your body, and if you are significantly hypothyroid (have low thyroid function) and are not having adequate replacement through medication, your metabolism may be slowed to a a point that it is a factor in your obesity.

If you do go on to consider and are a candidate for the Lap Band, with regards to patient financing call the surgeon near you that you would likely have perform the procedure and his/her office should have options available for you.

Good luck, and lets count on the day when all insurance plans cover the Lap Band and stop obesity discrimination. As my partner (who happens to be my wife) says, "your insurance company would never tell you 'You got breast cancer and didn't have a mammogram in 3 years, too bad, we're not paying for surgery. You laid out in the sun as a teenager and now have skin cancer, too bad we're naot paying for surgery." Don't want to get on a soap box, but obesity may be the only disease that insurance companies do not have to provide service for. Sigh.....