Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks post op and frustrated.

Hang in there. Stay off the scale. I know it is easier said then done!!!! My doctor would not let me weigh in the office till after the third week. You are still swollen and healing from your surgery. It will start coming off just stick to your food plan, eat small bites and start moving.

Lisa, I advanced to mushies about that time. First added cream Soups and SF/FF pudding, runny mashed potatoes and the like. After about 7-10 days, I was allowed to start adding "regular" food slowly, with the caution about bite size and chewing.

Yes, I agree that this sucks! Here we take this drastic step to lose weight -- and then we get on the scale post-surgery and its like WTF????

However, I wanted to send you some thoughts from my 4-week post-surgery perspective. Today is my 1-month bandiversary!

I lost 14.5 lbs. on the pre-surgical diet (2 weeks). That gives you some idea of how bad my eating was prior to that 2-week stint! That liquid diet cleaned me out and got me on the straight and narrow!

Well, post surgery the first week I felt so sick that I was really upset -- I was very pissed at myself that I had done this WLS (buyers remorse, big time). I could barely get Water or juice down. Felt like something big was in my esophagus. I had lots of upper left shoulder pain. I even told my DH, "I should have never done this!"

Day 8, I started to feel much better. I concentrated on sips, sips, sips of fluids 24/7. Even then, though, I did not really drink sugary things -- mostly salt free broth, sugar free green tea, sugar free Jello ice pops etc. and the obligatory 2 Protein shakes a day (blecch).

I was then moved to mushies (a few days early) by the doctor -- around 7 days. They told me to walk, walk, walk, to get rid of the shoulder pain. And it did help! I have a small house, and there I was walking from one end to the other turning and going back again... They also said if I had a rocking chair (believe it or not) to sit in it for a few days, gently rocking. Something about the backward-forward motion helps dissipate the pain.

Tolerated mushies very well (tuna, hummus, refried Beans, egg whites, etc.) Advanced to regular foods 20 days post op (eleven days ago).

Kept to the plan that dr. recommended for after first fill -- 3 meals a day, no Snacks. About 1 cup at a meal, mostly (if not all) Protein. Chew, chew, chew, eat slow. Put fork down between bites! I stayed TOTALLY away from mashed potatoes, rice, bread, oatmeal, any type of full carb type foods. Really no veggies/fruits to speak of -- kept to fish, lofat cheeses, ground turkey, fat free greek yogurt, vegetarian Meal Replacement products from Whole Foods/Trader Joes etc. mainly protein only with liquid Vitamins.. And lots of water! Water metabolizes fat!

I was not hungry until last Wednesday -- when wham! I was starving 24/7. It was really really tough to stick to my plan but as I heard that the first 3-4 months are the "golden" days of WLS when the most weight loss can occur, then slows down, I wanted to give it 200% these first few months. I totally ignored the hunger and got busy doing something else. Still keeping to my 3 small meals no Snacks.< /p>

I was able to lose 10 lbs. additional - but 1 week ago the scale stalled, big time. It had not moved in a week -- very aggravating! The last 7 days I spent cursing the scale!

But yesterday I upped my water intake 100% (from 4 glasses to 8 glasses) plus got on the elliptical for 20 minutes last night.

When I got up this morning -- woo hoo the scale finally moved and I dropped another 1.5 lbs. for a total of 26 lbs. since pre-surgical diet.

So my suggestions are:

1. Walk (or rock) to get rid of shoulder pain

2. Do some type of movement/exercise every day min. 20-30 mins.

3. Try to limit your foods to protein - stay away from the carbs

4. Water, water, water and then drink more water besides!

The scale will move, don't worry!