Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band restriction

Guest AndyK

Guest AndyK

Hello, I'm considering the lap band, has the band restricted you in any way?

Uh, I eat less? Let's see...I have to chew better and eat more slowly, that really is kind of a pain and "restrictive" but I get over it. Hmmm, I am motivated to take care of my band by slowing down, paying attention to my foods, which ones, how much, so many "it depends" situations, which is kind of restricting but again, I get over it.

I eat pretty much what I want (okay, so I can't eat asparagus-too stringy- or pineapple unless I spit out the wad of Fiber left over after chewing out all the sweet parts-or large hunks of steak-but I can eat it cut small and well-chewed)

Nope, life after banding is different, but most definately livable. Best thing though, I'm losing weight. It's work. Ain't easy. But I can do it. And not just for a week or two. I can do it day after day after week after month. Yep. I'm restricted. But only from eating my way to my grave.

Ditto!! What Kathy said.

If anything its opening up a lot of doors. Im eatting less, loosing weight, feeling better physically and emotionally...I can wear the style clothes that I like rather than what fits...and I dont have to worry about dying young and leaving my son. I think those benefits far outweigh anything that may be restricted after banding such as not being able to eat certain things...Your activity isn't limited in any way....except during healing of course....... I hope this helps ya in making your decision. If I had to do it all over again, I just would have done it MUCH sooner!!!

I agree - Restricted isn't a good word...I like to think I am making a better lifestyle change. I know think about what I am eating and am eating less then I was pre band. So lossing weight and feeling better is a major accomplishment for me. I have a 2 year old son that I know can play with more because I have more energy. food wise....haven't come accross anything that I am restricted from, just chew chew chew and eat slowly and it's all ok.

Good Luck...I think you will find alot of helpful advice here.

It takes a while to get your head around it, I was terrified of not being able to eat certain healthy foods (and I still havent got my head round the fact that salads may give me trouble, then again they may not) but really in the end, what do you want more - white bread or a healthy body?

You just have to take your time in the process, it does fall into place. Even if I dont get the band (going to see the surgeon this morning) these types of thought processes have been hugely enlightening for me. But it does take time to think it all through.

"Normal" eating is what got us all in trouble in the first place.