Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 11th Surgery Stories

I did not get a binder, but I was looking for one right after surgery and I know that helped a lot for you, lucky Cali!! I'm gonna try to find one today, and like you daid it probably will get me sleeping on my side faster.

Hi John--I was May 11 at NYU too. I think I remember you at the Tuesday morning meeting. (because you mentioned your gallbladder). I'm from Poughkeepsie originally, so I know

Wappingers Falls well (although I'm a NYCer now).

Hope you're feeling well and chipper. I just burp all the time now. It's weird--no real restriction, but lots of burping, and I do feel hungry.

And hi to all the other May Bandsters. I think of this as a marathon, not a sprint. . .so let's keep in touch.

lis

256/232/tba/

Glad to hear you're all doing better day by day. John, sorry you're not getting much sleep! I've been sleeping in my bed since the first night home, and I've been sleeping on my side since night three. Here is my secret: When you're on your side, put a pillow underneath your belly as it "hangs down" on the side. The pillow keeps it propped up and the incisions don't hurt as much because gravity isn't pulling on the stitches! Also keep a pillow between your knees. I can sleep all night like that! Hope that helps!!! :rolleyes:

TGIF! I still wake up a little sore and my pain meds take care of that. I am able to pick thing up off the floor today. It is amazing the things you can't do one day and can the next! I am starting to have an appetite but my liquid diet goes until next Wed. then I can have 2 TBS of pureed food 3 times a day. Hope all is well with you all!

Just checking in with you guys. I walked to the park yesterday and I felt ok afterwards, although I think it was too much too soon. By the time I got there all I could do was park it on a bench. Then when I came home I took some pain meds and needed to lie down. That was my first real outing. I am going to a couple of basketball games tomorrow. My son is in a tournament. Are you guys back at it? How is it going? I have heard people go back to work by day three... I can't imagine!

Hello all!

Surgery at 3pm Monday. Left the hospital at 3pm Tuesday. I've been telling everyone it feels like i went 10 rounds with Tyson working on just my stomach. I can't even feel the other incisions. Pain in the left shoulder that subsided by wed. only take pain med at night to make it easier to sleep. occasional tylenol during the day. i worked friday and even went out with some friends tonight (saturday) poured my Protein Shake in a coffee cup. i've told everyone i know so i wasn't concerned what anyone was wondering. it has gotten MUCH better yesterday and today. hungar hasn't been too much of a problem, have tolerated full liquids well. i'm sure the real hunger is only a day or two away though and will probably never be able to look at a can of Campbells condensed Soup again :rolleyes2:

Hi all. Well Monday is 7 days post op for us. I'm returning to work. Office job so no real labor involved. I do find through the day I get the jitters. Anyone else with this?? I haven't taken any pain meds since Wednesday. I thought today I might take some Tylenol in the morning. Eating about 400 to 500 calories a day now. I take a few walks in the day that are about 1000 steps each. At first I though the jitters were from not enough intake but not sure. They are not bad like I'm shaking or anything. Just that I can sense I'm not 100% yet. Anyone else going back to work on Monday or what are your plans??

Hi all. Well Monday is 7 days post op for us. I'm returning to work. Office job so no real labor involved. I do find through the day I get the jitters. Anyone else with this?? I haven't taken any pain meds since Wednesday. I thought today I might take some Tylenol in the morning. Eating about 400 to 500 calories a day now. I take a few walks in the day that are about 1000 steps each. At first I though the jitters were from not enough intake but not sure. They are not bad like I'm shaking or anything. Just that I can sense I'm not 100% yet. Anyone else going back to work on Monday or what are your plans??

Hi Danimal,

It sounds like you're not getting enought grams of Protein. We need to be getting 60-80 grams of Protein in. There are protein powders that can go with the Clear Liquids part of our diet from unjury that is either chicken broth or unflavored that can go in Clear Liquids.< /p>

I'm back to work Monday but had surgery on the 6th. Good luck.

Glad to hear you're all doing better day by day. John, sorry you're not getting much sleep! I've been sleeping in my bed since the first night home, and I've been sleeping on my side since night three. Here is my secret: When you're on your side, put a pillow underneath your belly as it "hangs down" on the side. The pillow keeps it propped up and the incisions don't hurt as much because gravity isn't pulling on the stitches! Also keep a pillow between your knees. I can sleep all night like that! Hope that helps!!! :rolleyes2:

I tried that and I finally got some sleep. Thanks....I'm off the pain meds but became extremely constipated and might of caused some damage below. Will wait till tomorrow before calling the doctor. All in all, feeling better each day now.

Can't wait to start eating mushie foods ( next Friday). Have my first menu planned out......B - Soft boiled eggs L - tuna fish D - Tilapia.

I get to eat pureed foods on Wed. I have not thought of the menu yet because when I let my mind go there, I start getting hungry!

John, that Constipation sure can make things tough! Drinking a little Milk of Magnesia will liquify anything you got going. I have found that to be helpful, everyother day or so. What is a good way to get Fiber in when we are able to eat? Does anyone have a good method?

I went to my sons basketball game and it was SO good to be out! Sitting in bleachers with a two year old climbing on me was a bit much, so now I am home with a little pain meds on board. I will not be taking him to the next game! :rolleyes2:

John, glad to hear that you got some sleep finally! I'm having the same GI issues that a lot of you are. I think I might try the Milk of Magnesia tonight. Miralax isn't working for me.

I'm about to leave work for the day -- my first day back was no fun. I couldn't concentrate at all, and about an hour ago the pain started. Time to go home, take some liquid meds and lie down.

Hope everyone else had a good first day back!

:eek:

I just wanted to chime in on the Constipation thing in case anyone is still having difficutly with that. I was able to eat farina on day 5 along with full liquids and that really helped a lot. I try to have it for Breakfast and then again before I go to bed and it helps me sleep, but the bathroom issue has completed been eliminated (pun intended :purplebananna:)

This is day 8 for me and I'm really feeling pretty good. I almost feel normal except for the port tenderness which I expect to last for a while. But the gas pain and the weird pain in the middle of my chest that made me feel like I needed to burp but couldn't is gone. I'm not to start mushies for 6 more days but last night I had a few licks of mashed up avocado and that made me feel wonderful. I didn't think it would be a problem since it seems that there are soooo many versions of the post op diet and they seem to be working for all of us, not that I'm not going to listen to my dr. but I'm also ok listening to my body and using common sense as well. I love to hear we're all doing so well!

Went to the Doctor today for a post op follow up. All looks well. Weighed in at 282. Lost 5 lbs since surgery. ATE REAL food TONIGHT......Tilapia.......SOOOOOO GOOOOOD !!!

Need to buy clothes this weekend for work. Not much, just enough to get by for now. Tomorrow I'm going to have eggs for Breakfast, tuna for lunch and fish for dinner. ( I love fish)

A little roasted veggies as well.

Trying to get past the Constipation issue. I'm getting there.....slowly. I think with the removal of my gallbladder my system is off and I need to get it reset......

I get to eat pureed foods on Wed. I have not thought of the menu yet because when I let my mind go there, I start getting hungry!

John, that Constipation sure can make things tough! Drinking a little Milk of Magnesia will liquify anything you got going. I have found that to be helpful, everyother day or so. What is a good way to get Fiber in when we are able to eat? Does anyone have a good method?

I went to my sons basketball game and it was SO good to be out! Sitting in bleachers with a two year old climbing on me was a bit much, so now I am home with a little pain meds on board. I will not be taking him to the next game! :redface:

You are so right.....We're expected to get in our Proteins first, then veggie's ( if hungry)...With all the Protein, how do you get fiber into our systems.

Fiber-wise, I wonder if we should be taking Metamucil or just lots of Water? Carrot juice would be good. I dont think I could stand the prune juice but maybe those dry prunes in a bag? I really dont know...Cali