Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suggestions, Help, Frustration

I was banded on 2.19.09 and i've only lost 17lbs. and that was in the beginning.. the last couple of fills I have been up and down.. I am not eating as much (not even close) to what I ate prior. I am more active and I am working out. Now I admit I am not working out like I should, but shouldn't I still be losing? I am not snacking like i used to; though I am a stress eater so that is now affecting me. I am up to 8cc in my band and not feeling the restrictions or other items people had told me about. I am just frustrated that I am over looking what I need to do or not doing what I should because I am FRUSTRATED......

Have you ever felt any restriction? Let's face it, everyone of us bandsters has been an overeater (and probably still would be were it not for the band). Do you eat as prescribed, that is 3 oz of Protein, steamed or raw vegetable and then and only then, if still hungry WHOLE GRAIN carbs? Do you snack? On what? I was told that if I was hungry between meals that I should snack ONLY on Protein -- a half cup of cottage cheese, a boiled egg, an ounce of low fat cheese. Do you have problems swallowing any foods? If not, go back and get another fill and, more importantly, TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR, HIS STAFF, THE NUTRITIONIST....and ask for assistance.

I know that 8ccs in a 10cc band SOUNDS like it ought to be enough but everyone of us is different. So please TO YOUR DOCTOR, HIS STAFF, THE NUTRITIONIST.

You may want to have the Fluid level checked in your band to make sure in fact what you say you have is indeed what is in there. Also try measuring out your food portions and counting calories for a week to see if you have a loss by doing so. Alot of times even though it seems as if your not eating alot the calories consumed are over and above what it takes to lose weight. Best of luck to ya!

ParrotHeadCathy ~

Thanks for your reply; I don't get many on here... I guess It's all my fault; I am just not being as diligent as I should and it's frustrating.. I was just hoping this tool would give my discipline a kick in the A**... Which if I get to a point with the ccS it will... I just have NO willpower..

As far as your questions:

Have you ever felt any restriction? I have to a point.

Do you eat as prescribed, that is 3 oz of Protein, steamed or raw vegetable and then and only then, if still hungry WHOLE GRAIN carbs? I wasn't given this information.. We have a nutritionalist for the beginning and were told to keep it below 1,000 calories on days I don't go to gym and 1,200 on days that I do.

Do you snack? When stressed...

On what? Nuts, yogurt, jell-o... but I do have bad habits (chips ~ not much though)...

Do you have problems swallowing any foods? not really; starting to see problems with breads, but I am not really eating them anyhow.

Based on the answers to the questions, I'd suggest making an appointment for another fill. It sounds like you might be getting close to your sweet spot. And don't be shy about making another appointment a month out from there just in case you need it. Knowing you have it coming up may help you be a little more accountable for what you put in your mouth (it helps me). You may be very close to your sweet spot and not realize how close you are. I've discovered if I eat slowly I do recognize that I am getting full and should stop. If I eat fast, I can go right past that point and not even feel it.

I was told to always eat the Protein first, then the vegetable, then I could have a little whole grain carb. The Protein fills you up differently because it takes longer to digest, so it stays in your stomach longer. That's also why I was told to snack on protein instead of other stuff. I've had problems with soft bread since my first fill but it's only been since my most recent fill that I've truly been able to go 4 hours without feeling hungry and still that's not every time.

Good luck and if you have any other questions, I'll try to answer.

Hey Neena,

You in a very similar boat as me! I only had 85 pounds to lose...and it took me over 2 months to lose 20 pounds...I am up to 7 months and have only lost 40 pounds. You cant compare your weigh loss with someone who has 150 pounds to lose, because when you have less to lose it will take longer. You are right on track, though you made need another fill. Find foods that are high in Protein to keep you full, and make sure you are drinking A LOT of water! I found when I was working out, and eating that if I didnt drink close to a gallon of Water a day, my weight loss slowed way down...now, on the other hand, I only drink water...I dont drink soft drinks or juice...so a gallon is not hard for me...but try and get at least 72 oz if not more. Good luck, and contact me anytime if you need anything or have questions!

Shauna