Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scheduled for May 19!

Hi all,

I am a newbie and scheduled for Tuesday May 19th! I have been looking into LB for over a year and finally made the decision to self-pay rather than waiting for insurance to approve. I am very excited, and a bit nervous that this will not work for me like everything else I've tried in my life (starting at age 11 going to Weight Watchers). But seeing so many posts with successes is a real motivator. I hope to be one of those successes one day in the not too distant future! :frown:

Congrats! Glad to have you as another mayo Bandito!

Thanks Kellster! Tomorrow is your big day! Let us know how it goes!

Welcome, dmarcy! I did the same thing you did -- self-pay all the way. I was tired of waiting around. When you're ready, you're ready!

OMG, Kellster - You are post-op now, and I'm going to search for your story now!

Two more nights of trying to sleep...one more day to work...then my new life begins! I am so ready! :laugh:

Welllll....I did it! I had my surgery this morning.

Got up at 4:00, checked in at 5:30 and went in to surgery at 8:00. I was out at 8:20, but didn't wake up until almost 9:00 (I think). At first I thought, "what have I done to myself," not because I was in pain, just the pressure from the gas, and the grogginess, but once they got me up and walking that really helped with the gas pressure...and lots of burps too! This is not the time to be lady-like! They gave me Clear Liquids, Jello, and broth, and checked me out at 4:00pm!

My doc ended up doing two incisions, which I am happy about. I am pretty energetic and am trying to walk a lot around the house.

I am so glad to have the surgery behind me and my new life in front of me!

Blessings!

Holy cow! Two incisions and only 20 minutes?! That's incredible! Best of luck on a continued easy recovery. :unsure:

Thanks for the kind words! I slept pretty well last night...on my side as usual, but a pillow pushed up against my stomach to support me...that seemed to work. Still gassy but it seems to be easing up more and more. I think after lying horizontal all night it spread around a bit, so this morning it's coming out the other end...TMI, I know, but that's the facts! LOL. :unsure: I've decided to just use Tylenol for the discomfort (can't really call it pain) and headache.

Sailor Kristy...are you getting so excited?? Can't wait to hear how your surgery goes.

Have a great day everyone!

Thanks for the update. I hope and pray that my experience goes as smoothly as yours seems to have been. (20 minutes? That's gotta be some kind of record. Seems like a waste of anesthesia -- heh heh heh. Maybe they could have just numbed you up well and then plyed you with cocktails or something?)

Yep, 2 more days of work, 3 days of visiting with family, then it will be my big day. :cursing:

So excited for you Christy...please update us when you get banded!

I think the reason mine was so fast is that my doc does lapbands exclusively. He used to do general surgery and bypasses, etc., but went exclusive about three years ago. Yeah, still have to go through all the anesthesia and gas stuff, unfortunately. But, I took a shower today, did my hair and makeup, then went and got a mani and pedi, then to the mall with my daughter (the walking really helps the gas). So, I am exhausted, but glad to have had some fun!