Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to this all!

Hello! I am new to this all and have lots of questions. icon5.gif

Not yet banded, my 2nd consult is Sept 22nd 2005. Why 2nd? I needed to do some more thinking about this and have finally decided this is what I want. I also know that the support is right here at my fingertips!!!

1- How many days were you off work including surgery, post op and recovery until you returned to work?

2- Anyone from Minnesota?

3- Any comments regarding RNY vs. Lap-Band?

(my mother, and many friends have had the RNY. All have done well, however, I would be nervous about "rerouting" the digestive system.)

Not a choice I am comfortable with.

4- What are the differences between eating food with the Lap-Band vs. the RNY. Are there any? I realize sugar is different with RNY because of "dumping" but I have a friend who had RNY and she is able to drink beer, and eat almost anything without problems. She is 4 years post op. Most others I know of have problems with this.

5- What should I expect about 3-4 years out post Lap-Band?

I know that I can get great answers to my questions here and look forward to being a sucess story like so many of you I have read about.

Great job to all of you who have improved your lives and your health!

Thanks Schelicon10.gif

P.S. Megan from MN I hope to hear from you also. I posted you back in January 2005. icon7.gif

Hello Schel,

Well I'll answer the question about the amount of time off needed from work. I had surgery on 8/9/05 and because my job is very strenuous, I am off until 9/17/05. Luckily I had plenty of sick time in the bank. I've heard people with desk jobs get back to work in just 4 days. Maybe perhaps an extended weekend. I wish you well in your surgery and I am sure you will learn plenty of important info from this great forum here.

Good Luck,

Ray

8/9/05

280/260/180

Fort Worth, TX

Can only answer one of your questions. I'd recommend to take off a full week after surgery. I tryed to come back in 4 days and really regreted it. Some say it works for them, but it sure didn't for me.

Good luck with you voyage of discovery . . .

Schel,

I took off one full week then went back to work a half days for a week (I work at home so I was able to just do 2 hours then lay down if I needed to, then do two more hours.) I really didnt need to but it was nice to be able to. I will tell you, I had considered RNY but my biggest issue was with rerouting things what happens 20 years down the road. I could not find one medical person to answer that, they all said - we dont know. That was enough for me. I plan on living longer than 20 years so I want to hear an answer. As I am only 5 months out, that is about all I can give you at this point other than I am very happy with my band. I was not scared of the banding surgery. And the only thing in my life that has changed is no soda (which I am totally over) and I am a cheaper date!

Hi Schel,

I have a very flexible office job, so I took two weeks off. Didn't really need it all (one week would have been suffice), but I had my laptop, so worked from home the second week.

I'm not sure what you can expect 3-4 years out, as I haven't made it that far yet, but there are a few bandsters around this board that have, so I'm sure one of them will answer that for you.

I'm able to eat pretty much anything - except gnocchi. I can still drink, but I do drink a bit slower. While some doctors suggest against carbonation, mine said it was fine and I've had no problems drinking carbonated drinks thus far.

Here are a couple of links for you, with different threads about RNY vs Banding:-

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7204&highlight=lap+band+rny

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9104&highlight=rny

Good luck with whatever you decide ;)