Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone! My journey is just beginning.

Hello Everyone~ I am new to this site and am reading up on everything that I can. Let me say that I am learning ALOT and am soooo thankful this site is here and thankful for everyone sharing their journey! My Dr. is recommending that I get this lap band procedure done. She recommended it to me 1yr and 1/2 ago but was scared to death to go thru with it and give a 100%. Why??? I really don't know other than my weight has been my comfort zone. I have been a type 2 diabetic for 18yrs now and things have been spiraling out of control these last 5 yrs. I am 5'4 and weigh 231lbs. I am 38yrs old. I take 12 pills a day. The diabetes is killing me.... I am so sick of taking my meds. I take pills for blood sugar, pills for high blood pressure, pills for depression and now sleeping pills to sleep. I also have a heart murmur from a valve not working properly. Its getting to the point that I am afriad to go to the doctor because what other bad news is she going to lay on me. What else is the diabetes gonna do to me. OMG! I am so tired of living like this! So today I said lets get this ball rolling and I want my life back. I am ready for a change....a new life. So I am at the very beginning stages and I am kinda excited by what is around the corner for me. I am getting encouraged by everyones stories they are sharing. I want to say "Thanks" to each and everyone of you for taking the time to write your journey on here and sharing it. You will never know how much they are helping me and others reach for our goal and start our journey!!!:) Your all amazing!

weight.png

Edited by Babs15

Hello Babs 15 I am also new to this site and I am from Illinois about 30 min from st.Louis where are you considering having your surgery performed. I also have hbp, cholesterol and was just dx with diabeties about 6months ago trying to control with diet and exercise, but thats not working to well. I know if I don't get this lap band I'll be on diabeties meds before the end of this year. I suffer with heal spurs so it's really had for me to get exercise my husband is helping me shop for an olyptical exercise machine. I hope this well help me. I have already made up my mind I want the band the surgery doesnt really bother me I have had my gallbladder removed laprascopically no big deal. It's the fills and maintenance of the lapband I'm dreading.

Lisa73

245lbs

Waiting to attend a seminar May 15 DR Van Wagner

St. Alexius New Start

Lisa73

Edited by Lisa73

Hey Lisa73~ I am considering have my surgery performed in Joliet by Dr Christopher Joyce. I have to attend a meeting or seminar...whatever they call it on May 13th and I guess that starts the ball rolling. I am not scared about the surgery either....I had surgery to repair my right broken ankle 4 yrs ago. Like you I am kinda scared bout the fills and maintenance. I hope to keep in touch with you and maybe help each other out and walk thru this together!!!! :glare:

Babs 15

231lbs

Waiting to attend seminar May 13th Dr. Christopher Joyce

Welcome to both of you! I am not new here, but I'm not banded yet. I've been waiting a couple of years, but that's a long story in itself. This is a great site to learn about the band. I just recommend you do lots of research and reading here to help you get through this. Good luck to both of you!

Joan

Hi Joan~ Thanks so much for your reply! I am doing alot of research. This site has been so much help. If you don't mind me asking.....why haven't you been banded yet?? If you don't want to say thats ok. I was just curious. Take care! I hope to stay in touch with you!

Sincerely

~Babs15~

I don't mind telling you why I'm not banded yet at all. I saw my surgeon, Dr. David Provost in Dallas, 2 1/2 years ago. I was all excited and didn't think I would have any problems going through the approval process. He told me he wanted cardiac clearance,because I have several stents in my arteries. So, the cardiologist did a test called a PET test, which showed I had blockage in 1 of my coronary arteries. The cardiologist did a heart cath and put 2 stents in 1 of my coronary arteries. Well, he used medicated stents, which meant that I could not be off of my blood thinners for a year. To get my lap-band, the surgeon wanted me off of the blood thinners for a week prior to surgery. So, the surgery was postponed for a year. I waited the year and talked to my cardiologist about clearance, and he said I was good to go. I called the surgeon's office to try to set a surgery date, and was told Medicare had started requiring a 6 month dr supervised diet before they would pay for the surgery. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT! So, I talk to my PCP and she didn't want to get involved and told me to talk to my cardiologist. He told me he didn't do it either, so I was in limbo. Finally, last May I got my PCP to do it for me. I did the 6 months and put off going to see the surgeon, because I was extremely ill with pneumonia, etc the last couple of month of 2008. When I called in Janruary, I was told my doctor was no longer with that practice and had moved to another city north of Dallas. So, I called his office and saw him February 2, 2009. We discussed the lap-band again and everything for surgery is a go. There's only 1 problem. Medicare requires the surgery be done at a Center of Excellence, and the hospital where he has his new practice doesn't have that certification yet. He told me it would be 3 to 6 months before they get it, but they have applied for it. He offered to send me to another surgeon, but he has done thousands of surgeries and I want him to do mine. So, that's what I'm waiting on now. I called last week and they still don't have it. That puts me back in limbo until they get their certification. What a mess, huh?

Joan

Hi Joan~ That is a mess isn't it!!!:thumbup: What a journey you have been going thru!! Lets look at the positive side....Good things comes to those who wait.:) I will be praying that things move quickly and in your favor! You deserve it for the mess you have been thru! You take care and please keep me updated!!!!

Hello and welcome :mad2: Sounds like you're on your way to the Lap band now! I really think you will do great and those pills will be either minimal or gone very soon. I was fortunate enough I didn't have that many side effects from my weight prior to surgery. However, I have read all the great stories of people that get to go completely off their meds that it's truely amazing. Embrace this oppurtunity with open arms. You won't regret it :D

Hi Brandy~ Thanks so much for welcoming me. I really hope that the pills will be reduced or no longer needed. I plan on embracing it with WIDE open arms. Congratulations on your success with your lap band surgery!!! Way to go girl!!! :mad2:

Take care!!! If I have any questions after my surgery whenever I find out after the ball gets rolling.....can I contact you???

Today went to seminar and learned so much from it. I also learned that My insurance company Blue Cross Blue Shield of Iowa.... may make me wait 6mths for dietary documentation:frown:. I don't know for sure yet....will find out in a couple days. I will post as I learn more. I gotta keep positive thoughts and not let this get me down. :)

Babs15

Hey if you have to do the 6 month weight loss trial don't be discouraged it's very common with alot of insurance companies it will be worth the wait. I just got off the phone with my ins co UHC my husband just got a new job so this ins co. is new to me, but I just found out my surgery if auth would be covered 100% no co-ins. Hooray:lol:! I have just been assuming it would only be covered at 90% and the place Iam having the surgery charges 20-25,000 so thats a big savings I was not expecting.:)

Lisa73:cool:

Hey Lisa~

Thanks so much Lisa for encouraging me! I need it...It was getting me down and your right....It WILL be well worth the weight!! OMG!!! That is such great news!!! 100% coverage!!!! Who could ask for more than that! :w00t: That is probably one of the best things to hear....besides your surgery date!!!:thumbup: The surgery cost for mine is $15,000. My husbands ins. only covers 90%...I am not complaining but wow...yours covers 100% that is awesome!!! Let me know how things go for you! I am cheering you on over here in streator!!! Take care!!!:rolleyes:

Hi Brandy~ Thanks so much for welcoming me. I really hope that the pills will be reduced or no longer needed. I plan on embracing it with WIDE open arms. Congratulations on your success with your lap band surgery!!! Way to go girl!!! :rolleyes:

Take care!!! If I have any questions after my surgery whenever I find out after the ball gets rolling.....can I contact you???

Thanks and absolutely! I would give you my email but honestly I probably wouldn't catch it in the see of spam I get lol. Feel free to message me anytime on here... or if you have Facebook I have a link to join me on facebook on my blog the link is below :thumbup:

Hey Brandy~ Thanks! I will get a hold of you on either site.

Update: I got a call from Dr. Joyce's office today and i have a consultation with him on June 17th! He is going to go over all the paperwork and send in to insurance and see how they are going to handle it. Crossing fingers....Hopefully I wont have to wait 6mths but if I do there is still wonderful things and times ahead at the end of the rainbow!!! :rolleyes: