Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Speedy loss on lap band

I was curious to see examples of peoples diets and exercise programs that have had fast weight loss on lapband(70 or more pounds in the first year).

Hmmm, I lost about 70 in the first year.

My starting weight was about 245, BMI 36. I did 3 weeks liquids (only 1 day clear), 2 weeks mushies an then onto solid foods.

I ate (and still do) a diet based on ALL food groups meaning I dont restrict healthy carbs such as wholegrain cereals, breads, brown rice. I also occasionally eat white rice and Pasta. I dont count Protein, or do Protein first, I eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegies, moderate dairy and I firmly believe this is NOT a diet, but a new lifestyle, so yes, treats do come into it occasionally.

However, overall, I reduced my calorie intake to about 1500 calories a day, 3 meals a day, perhaps one snack. By the end of the first year I had about 2.2 cc in my 4cc band.

For the first couple of weeks after banding, I walked about 2 miles every day. After that I spent a few weeks at the gym doing an interval style cardio program on the elliptical. Then at about 3 months in I cautiously tried a jog. I ran 3kms that night and was hooked, I ran at first about 4 times a week outside, then I bought a treadmill and began to run 4kms a day, most days of the week. I trained for several fun runs and by the end of that year, my routine was mostly outside running, 6 or 7km at a time.

Keeping up that routine and building my running up to distances of 10kms or more (not every time) and over the second year, I lost about 30lb, then I have maintained ever since, about 18 months now.

Honestly, I dont want to sound smug, but I found it really easy. I wasnt trying to do some super duper strict diet, so the control on portion sizes just meant I was eating normally, which wasnt hard. I didnt have a lot of appetite or head hunger between meals in that first year and I really do believe you have a window of opportunity with this, because a more normal appetite has gradually returned to me, however I still have small portions and exercise regularly so I havent gained.

ok so I had my surgery on december 12, 2008. Since starting the pre-op liquid diet I've lost 80lbs. I've lost a little over 100lbs since starting the 6month diet my insurance company put me on last may.

after surgery I was on liquids for 1 month then onto pureed foods for another month. Finally I could start on solid foods 2 months after surgery. I eat a little bit of everything. I normally eat a lot of Protein just because that's what I prefer and it seems to be the easiest to eat. Vegetables tend to get stuck really easy. My doctor told me to stay away from milk because it doesn't give you that full feeling. Instead I like to eat cheese and wheat thins if I'm feeling snacky.

As for exercise I've been really bad. I really don't exercixe outside of work. I work at a dept store and my job is to run carts. this means a lot of running around with heavy clothes. It's exhausting!