Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded May 6th

Well, yesterday was my surgery. It went very well. The DH and I got up at 4:30am in order to get there at 5:30. About 7:30am they wheeled me into the surgery room. The last thing I truly remember was the oxygen mask being placed over my face. Next thing I knew they were calling my name and telling me I was in recovery and everything had gone fabulously. I looked at the clock and it was about 8:45am. They brought my DH in to say ‘hi’ before making him go back to the waiting room but let him in because it would be a while before they had a bed for me. In fact it was after 1pm by the time they got me settled into a room.

They gave me some pain meds, I think morphine, before taking me to my room. I didn’t need to ask for any more until about 5pm when they gave me my 4oz of broth and 2 oz of juice. I didn’t get nauseous but my stomach ached a little as if sore from using the muscles. I finally got up to use the bathroom. After another dose of meds and a nap, we walked around the floor. After my walk, they came by with a meter for me to take deep breaths and then cough. That caused me some pain so it was another dose of meds and a bit of napping.

I had the choice of staying overnight or going home. It really didn’t matter that much to me but DH wouldn’t have slept a wink if he went home without me so we left around 8:30pm. We stopped for my liquid hydrocodone and headed home. I noticed that one of my incisions was aggravated by my pants but I’m keeping an eye in it. I was all tucked up in my bed by 11pm. Woke in the middle of the night with a headache which they explained I could get from the gas.

Today I’m only in pain when I shift from lying to sitting to standing and vise versa. Not hungry at all and have only managed one Protein Shake so far. I’m on full liquids today and move to pureed foods tomorrow. I’m not walking as much as I’d intended but this is a time for healing so that is what I am going to focus on.

Congratulations on a successful surgery! Thank you for sharing your story. How are you doing now? I'm being banded tomorrow and I'm nervous but SO ready to have it done.

Hey Jennifer,

I'm doing really good I think. My biggest challenge is the Protein intake. All of a sudden my Protein shakes are making me gag. My diet quickly went to mushies but I will be on them a total of two weeks before two weeks of soft foods. Less than a week out and I am missing normal food.

Best of luck tomorrow!

Hi, Mac. Congrats on your surgery! Glad to hear it went so well and that you were able to come home that night. I am also having trouble getting enough Protein drinks in. Today is the first day that I am actually feeling any hunger. I'm jealous that you get to go to mushies so quickly!

Best wishes for continued success! :mad2:

Hey Jennifer,

I'm doing really good I think. My biggest challenge is the Protein intake. All of a sudden my Protein shakes are making me gag. My diet quickly went to mushies but I will be on them a total of two weeks before two weeks of soft foods. Less than a week out and I am missing normal food.

Best of luck tomorrow!

Hang in there Mac I was banded on May 4th and I too am having problems with Protein Shakes. I really like carnation instant Breakfast (no added sugar) 13grams when you add milk and I like AS advant edge strawberry 17grs you can get both at wal-mart. I'm still on full liquids until Monday then go to pureed. I'm really not hungry which is a good thing I guess, but I excited to eat refried Beans on monday.LOL

Good Luck!

Hey Ann,

Don't be too jealous of mushies. ^.~ Actually I'm a pretty picky eater, don't like cottage cheese and many of the things you'd normally eat for mushies. Some of the stuff I am pureeing doesn't even taste good when all is said and done. I think I liked living off of full liquids a little better!

Good luck to you and keep in touch!

Well, I wasn't sure about the mushies stage, either, because it sounds so gross, but I went on the "What did you eat today" thread and got some good ideas. Here's a few things that I plan to eat:

* fat-free refried Beans with melted low-fat cheese, topped with FF or LF sour cream (YUM - love Mexican)

* Ricotta Bake - basically lasagne without the noodles. LF ricotta topped with spaghetti sauce (no meat), topped with LF mozzarella, baked until cheese is bubbly. (Dying to try this one!)

* Scrambled eggs (Egg Beaters) with LF cheese

* Hummus

* Mashed sweet potatoes

Hope that helps you with some ideas. smile.gif

Thanks Naynayto2 and Ann!

I think I'll head out for the carnation instant Breakfast today. And you're right Ann, I need to find some other options, did the 'lasagna' but used groudbeef in the sauce. It's good but I got tired of it quickly. So, you think scrambled eggs are okay? May try that for lunch.

How many grams of protien do you have to take in each day? I will need 60. My center does not have us do protien drinks or power so I'm not sure how I'm going to get this much. ??

Thanks for the good luck! :-)

Hey Mac and Ann, what about creamed Soups? I've been having those and adding Protein powder and have been doing pretty good.

I thought I had oatmeal in the cupboard but was mistaken. I was going to put that in my bullet to thin it some more, but since I didn't have the oatmeal I tried something else.

Here's what I had... I pureed a 1/4 of a banana with just a tiny bit of milk, added powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chocolate Protein Powder and some PB2 (powdered peanut butter) It came to a thinned pudding consistency and was delicious.

Hey Hallelujah girl,

I didn't get the uninjury unflavored powder but ordered some yesterday to do just that and add to creamed Soups. Had some very milked down oatmeal and that was good. I'm not so much a sweet eater so all the flavored Proteins don't do me any good. I have a refrigerator full of low fat puddings not evey touched!

And Jennifer, if you can stomach them, I no longer seem able to, the new slimfast low carb shakes have 20 grams of carbs so three of them a day would give you your Protein.