Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Found this site a few days ago and have been looking around, finding it to be a wealth of information, support and inspiration.

I had tried many diet plans, my most successful was Weight Watchers, where I lost about 60 pounds-then gained it back plus more. I started thinking about the lap-band about a year and a half ago. I visited a surgeon in March of 2008. Because of my insurance, I had to be under doctor's care for 6 months before I could get the surgery for the lap band. So I went on the lowfat, high Protein diet that is prescribed with the band and time came down to getting the surgery. During the last month or so of my waiting period, I started gaining weight. I was exercising regularly and following the food guidelines, but still gaining. I got up to 316. The surgeon was not real happy with me (nor I with myself), but my pro-op appointment was mad and a surgery date set. At my pre-op appointment, I mentioned that my legs had been swelling up more than normal. When they tested my BP, I was very high...high enough to be sent to the ER. I spent several days in the hospital and as it turned out, my kidneys had failed. I was told to put the lapband out of my mind two days before my scheduled surgery.

I started dialysis, and go 3 nights a week. I Immediately dropeed about 40lbs-mostly Fluid. This past winter I spiraled into a fairly deep depression. Many days I did not get out of bed. I finally admitted to myself that I needed help and asked my mother-good old Mom! SHe has helped push me when I needed it and I cannot thank her more. I feel physically better and have gotten myself on a transplant list ( a story in itself). Then it turns out, the transplant team tells me that less weght on a tranplanted kidney prolongs its mortality and maybe I should start looking in to the band again. I asked my kidney doc and she ok'd. I re-visited the surgeon in early April, he made a surgery date for 4/28/2009. I now have my band!

Things may be a little tricky balancing a dialysis diet and sticking to the band guidelines. Dialysis is getting a little more complex also, being that I need to have fluid pulled to get to a "dry weight" and as I am losing that may be a little hard to determine. I am hopefull though, and thinking positive-things are looking up :thumbsup:

Well it is nice to make everyone's aquatience and I hope to learn a lot from everyone.

randy

Hello Randy and welcome to LBT. I read your story and you have been through alot. Yes, dear ole moms are always the best motivators that's for sure.

Your situation might be more complex than someone such as me that didn't have health issues going in... but all the same we're in this boat together.

If you have any questions please be sure to ask! I am 100% Sure you're not the only dialysis patient that has gotten the band so you might be able to find a bandster buddy out there that relates 100%.

I wish you the best of luck in your lapband journey and hope to see you around the boards :thumbsup:

Welcome to LBT, and congratulations on finally getting your band. You have some unique challenges, to be sure, but it sounds like you have a good support system (your mom) and are determined to make the band work for you.

One of my favorite band quotes is "The band is not around your lips, it is around your stomach. It cannot keep food out of your mouth; only you can do that." The band is a useful tool to help control portion size. It is up to you to choose healthy foods. Good luck on your journey.

Welcome Randy,

As an RN, I can definitely understand you have your own set of challenges, but it sounds like you are on the right track now. As a kidney patient myself, I am just hoping to get my band and lose some of this weight before I end up on dialysis myself.

Joan