Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to get banded but i am so scared

Ok so i have been struggling with my weight since I can remember.... even when i was a cheerleader I was never the small one so i was self conscience... anyways I have gained somuch weight and I know part of it is from all the diets I have tried... I think the only diets I didnt try were like NutriSystem...

well I am desperate and I've been looking into Labband.. now according to my research I am a candidate for the tool that will give me that boost and real results... the problem is 1) I have never had any surgery in my life.... 2) after reading blogs I am so so so so so scared that things will go wrong.. I read how people throw up all the time or all these horror stories of the lab band ...

I have read how people reccommend a Mini gastric Bypass instead because you can eat regular food or what not and how with the bad some people do not loose weight...

anyways I need advice because this is something that I am desperate to do .. and I do not want to invest 13 grand on it and then it go all wrong..... Please Help... (btw tomorrow I have my first consulataion)

One more thing... I am getting annyoed by people saying that I am going to take the easy way out... and that I just havnt tried hard enough with the diets...

anyways ya's advice will be greatly appreciated.

The problem with the band is or any weight loss surgery for that matter, is that a lot of the success of it has to do with the individual. Will you follow the rules? Will you say no to those french fries when you go by McDonald's and choose a salad instead?

The lapband is not a forced diet and you still need to make good decisions from it. That being said, it's not the easy way out. It still requires work from you. I personally have a looser band with no fill in it. That means I must be on my toes all the time. I have more unhealthy food choices opened to me. Or you maybe the type to get a tighter band, where bread, Pasta, and fruits are already cut out for you. It really depends on you and how much fill you want in your band.

You can even do everything right and still have things go wrong with your band. Things you have no control of. It's just a risk you have to take.

In the end however, your only other option besides surgery is stay on regular diets, which you already know don't work. I guess the best way to look at it is, it's better to try something new than try the same thing you know will fail anyway. Risky as a lapband can be, it does have the potential for great results and I recommend it to people considering it.

Edited by Fae

I'm at the same point. I'm really considering it, but I've read a lot of posts about people throwing up. I'm wondering how common that is. If you're what you're supposed to are you still throwing up? I really hate throwing up :/

Almost everyone is scared at some point in the process. Really spend a few weeks reading all the posts and seeing the good, the reality and the bad parts of the LB. No one can tell you if you are ready, many people take years to know this is what they need and that they are ready to make the changes. I spent several years leading up to making my choice (June 8th for my surgery).

I also highly recommend reading the blogs, they tell a much more detailed story of the process and the ups and downs.

I can tell you from everything I have read, those who have had success seem to do three things: consistent exercise, reasonable eating (not perfect) and they ignore the detractors. The key to the lapband is using the tool as intended, not weather it is easy, hard or somewhere in the middle. Just focus on your goals and what you need to do to achieve the desired results.

As for the rest of the world, some people will always be judgmental about something, so let them think what they want and then ignore them. This is a deeply personal choice and only you can make it work, because in the end, we choose what we eat, if we exercise and if we let others rule our choices. I can tell you from reading what others have posted almost everyone have met with their share of detractors (often very harsh detractors) and they only achieved their goals because they had conviction in the face of adversity. I can assure you that your are not alone in any of the concerns and issues you outlined, so keep reading the answers for the posed questions are hear and in your head.