Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If Your New and You Know It Clap Your Hands

OH EM GEE!!! I am 4 days post op and the hunger pangs are the WORST I have ever felt, to the extent that I feel like Im about to pass out. I went to the movies yesterday, drank my broth before and took along a bottle of Water. Well, we missed the time and had to wait an hour, not thinking, I just sipped on my water. 45 minutes before the movie ended I was in tears from the pain of being hungry. I will never ever do that again. Seems like instead of every 4 hours, I need to eat every 3 hours. It happened today as well, first day back to work. I had to run down to get the broth and nearly passed out. Did anyone else feel like this? It takes about 15 minutes after I've eaten to ease this pain and I go slow for fear of stretching my stomach! I HOPE this is not forever! :cursing:

OH EM GEE!!! I am 4 days post op and the hunger pangs are the WORST I have ever felt, to the extent that I feel like Im about to pass out. I went to the movies yesterday, drank my broth before and took along a bottle of Water. Well, we missed the time and had to wait an hour, not thinking, I just sipped on my Water. 45 minutes before the movie ended I was in tears from the pain of being hungry. I will never ever do that again. Seems like instead of every 4 hours, I need to eat every 3 hours. It happened today as well, first day back to work. I had to run down to get the broth and nearly passed out. Did anyone else feel like this? It takes about 15 minutes after I've eaten to ease this pain and I go slow for fear of stretching my stomach! I HOPE this is not forever! :cursing:

This may sound so silly...but are you sure it is hunger pain and not gas? Just a thought bc I havent ever been so hungry I am in pain. Are you drinking your Protein shakes? They didnt taste that good but they helped a little with the hunger.

It will pass one way or the other :cursing: Just hang on!

That is not enough nutrition to keep you healthy, definately call your doctor, I suspect you have misunderstood your instructions, normally full clear liquid diets include broth, Jello, clear fruit juice like apple and white grape, if you dont eat more than what you mentioed you are going to pass out very soon! LOL seriously call your doctor, that does not sound right.

Welcome all newly banded, soon to be banded, or bandsters new to the site. I was thinking this morning, now that I am a little over 3 months out, I could share some information with those of you just beginning your journey. Some of this is kinda common sense, and some of it is info I wish I had understood better before the band.

1. before get very far into your journey, take some measurements. I forgot to do this and now I wish I had my beginning measurements. This is good, bc sometimes when the scale is not moving...you are still losing inches! SO MEASURE YOURSELF!

2. Take some before pictures. I take pictures all the time, but I know some people hate the way they look presurg. But you will wish you had some before pictures after you start losing :thumbup: It's only going to get better afterall!

3. This is really important. And I didnt have a clear grasp on it before surgery. After surgery, and after you heal...you will still be hungry. AND most likely, you will still be able to eat whatever whenever you want. The period after banding and before you first fill is referred to as BANDSTER HELL. It's hell because you have to rely on willpower. What's that you say? I know I know...if we were good at "dieting" then we wouldnt need the band. But for a few weeks at least, prepare yourself to practice restraint. Just bc you can eat it...don't.

4. Know that after surgery, and when you start to eat mushies and real food. Your weight loss will probably stop for a week or so. Your body is going from a really low calorie liquid diet to actual food. It needs time to adjust. So dont get discouraged or give up. Hold on, watch what you eat...and more importantly...start moving.

5. Which brings me to this one. Exercise. It doesnt have to be anything huge! I started walking and I HATE walking. But I set a goal for myself. I wanted to do a 5k. I started walking 1 mile. The next week I added 1/2 a mile and so on. In March, 2 months after my surgery I did my first 5k. Is was a nonscale victory (NSV). Exercising will help your scale start moving again, and even when it appears you arent dropping pounds, you are changing the shape of your body.

6. Start a blog. It's pretty easy. Blogger is one great one. The link to my blog is in my signature. If you go check it out, you will see all of the other ladies that blog. Blogging or reading blogs lets you get to know fellow bandsters on a more personal level and see progress and share experiences.

7. When you go to your doctor ASK QUESTIONS! That's what they are there for...and that's what we (or our insurance) is paying them for.

8. Realize that all doctors are different. You will learn that really quickly on this site. We all have different instructions.

9. Dont be afraid to call and ask your doc if you can change something, move to the next phase sooner..etc. All they can do is tell you know.

10. FILLS! Most of us dont feel any restriction after our first fill. I didnt feel anything until my 3rd fill. My doc is pretty aggressive with fills, if that's what his patients want. I had 4ccs my first fill. I called back bc it didnt do anything for me and went in 2 weeks later for my second fill. He gave me 1.5cc's. Still didnt feel much so I called and went back in one week later and got .5cc's. That has held me for over a month now.

And finally.

11. Love yourself! Dont be ashamed of the band. It is a TOOL. You DO have to work at it. You CAN cheat it. IT IS NOT THE EASY WAY OUT! Be proud of who you are and who you are becoming!

Hope some of this helps!

--Amy

Great post! Thank you!

hey everyone! I just wanted to remind you to measure! lol...i just now measured (73 pounds down).

I recently started a bootcamp and have been working my butt off and havent been losing much weight...but at the suggestion of other bandsters, I have started measuring myself...so if the scale isnt moving I can still see my progress!

Another thing to remember...and this is an important one...YOU CAN DO THIS!

Foxxy,

I guarantee you that after youf 1 month post-op diet you will be feeling much healthier and happier. Do call your surgeon's office and tell them what you are experiencing. If you are experiencing dizziness or weakness then you are not getting enough Protein. Perhaps there is something you missed in the post-op instructions.

I remember experiencing a great deal of head hunger around 10-14 days out and feeling like I just needed to chew on something or I would loose my mind. This feeling will pass but you have to hang in there and follow your surgeon's instructions to the T. You can do it. We all got through it and you will too. Change your focus. Go for a walk or several walks if this is what it takes. Go to sleep if all else fails. Just hang in there. The results will make you so glad you did.