Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If Your New and You Know It Clap Your Hands

Welcome all newly banded, soon to be banded, or bandsters new to the site. I was thinking this morning, now that I am a little over 3 months out, I could share some information with those of you just beginning your journey. Some of this is kinda common sense, and some of it is info I wish I had understood better before the band.

1. before get very far into your journey, take some measurements. I forgot to do this and now I wish I had my beginning measurements. This is good, bc sometimes when the scale is not moving...you are still losing inches! SO MEASURE YOURSELF!

2. Take some before pictures. I take pictures all the time, but I know some people hate the way they look presurg. But you will wish you had some before pictures after you start losing :thumbsup: It's only going to get better afterall!

3. This is really important. And I didnt have a clear grasp on it before surgery. After surgery, and after you heal...you will still be hungry. AND most likely, you will still be able to eat whatever whenever you want. The period after banding and before you first fill is referred to as BANDSTER HELL. It's hell because you have to rely on willpower. What's that you say? I know I know...if we were good at "dieting" then we wouldnt need the band. But for a few weeks at least, prepare yourself to practice restraint. Just bc you can eat it...don't.

4. Know that after surgery, and when you start to eat mushies and real food. Your weight loss will probably stop for a week or so. Your body is going from a really low calorie liquid diet to actual food. It needs time to adjust. So dont get discouraged or give up. Hold on, watch what you eat...and more importantly...start moving.

5. Which brings me to this one. Exercise. It doesnt have to be anything huge! I started walking and I HATE walking. But I set a goal for myself. I wanted to do a 5k. I started walking 1 mile. The next week I added 1/2 a mile and so on. In March, 2 months after my surgery I did my first 5k. Is was a nonscale victory (NSV). Exercising will help your scale start moving again, and even when it appears you arent dropping pounds, you are changing the shape of your body.

6. Start a blog. It's pretty easy. Blogger is one great one. The link to my blog is in my signature. If you go check it out, you will see all of the other ladies that blog. Blogging or reading blogs lets you get to know fellow bandsters on a more personal level and see progress and share experiences.

7. When you go to your doctor ASK QUESTIONS! That's what they are there for...and that's what we (or our insurance) is paying them for.

8. Realize that all doctors are different. You will learn that really quickly on this site. We all have different instructions.

9. Dont be afraid to call and ask your doc if you can change something, move to the next phase sooner..etc. All they can do is tell you know.

10. FILLS! Most of us dont feel any restriction after our first fill. I didnt feel anything until my 3rd fill. My doc is pretty aggressive with fills, if that's what his patients want. I had 4ccs my first fill. I called back bc it didnt do anything for me and went in 2 weeks later for my second fill. He gave me 1.5cc's. Still didnt feel much so I called and went back in one week later and got .5cc's. That has held me for over a month now.

And finally.

11. Love yourself! Dont be ashamed of the band. It is a TOOL. You DO have to work at it. You CAN cheat it. IT IS NOT THE EASY WAY OUT! Be proud of who you are and who you are becoming!

Hope some of this helps!

--Amy

Thanks Amy, you are right, I like the measurement idea, and you are also right about pictures, I hide:scared2:

I am really afaird of being hungry so I have put a lot of thought into that aspect of this proces, I think I have a "handle on it" for now anyway. How soon did you start "walking" after your surgery?

Thanks Amy, you are right, I like the measurement idea, and you are also right about pictures, I hide:scared2:

I am really afaird of being hungry so I have put a lot of thought into that aspect of this proces, I think I have a "handle on it" for now anyway. How soon did you start "walking" after your surgery?

I started walking my first day home. I just walked a block or two...really to help with the gas. I started walking the mile about 8-10 days later. I will tell you that I used to wear Nike Shox, but found out they are horrible for walking because they raise your heal. I went and bought real nike walking shoes and it makes such a difference.

Dont be afraid of being hungry! It was kind of fun at first bc I hadnt felt real hunger in forever! I just wish I had known it was going to be up to me to eat good those first 3-4 weeks after surgery. From all the nutrition classes I attended pre-surg, they made it sound like the minute after surgery how and what I ate would change. But that's not the case.

Thanks for the advice! I will be banded a week tomorrow and it has been a week for HELL! The whole liquid phase is killing me but I just have to tell myself that it wont last forever. I havent taken any measurements yet but I think thats a good idea!

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom. It helps all of us newbies to read about those of you that are already banded. This time next month, I'll be banded and asking how to make the shoulder gas stop!

Thanks for this posting. These are the very things i was talking to my nutritionist about and was saying that they need to be talked about at a support group. It's great to have someone who's out a year and has lost all their weight, but they forget the struggles the first few weeks out. I'm 5 weeks out.

She thought that was a great idea and called and asked me if i would be willing to speak at the June support group. I'm super excited!

Thanks for the advice! I will be banded a week tomorrow and it has been a week for HELL! The whole liquid phase is killing me but I just have to tell myself that it wont last forever. I havent taken any measurements yet but I think thats a good idea!

You are welcome. The liquid phase does suck, because it is like every food commericial in the world in on TV...tempting you! But, you usually get some kickass weight loss from that time! Its gets you going and starts your pre-op on a high note!

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom. It helps all of us newbies to read about those of you that are already banded. This time next month, I'll be banded and asking how to make the shoulder gas stop!

That's right! And then YOU will be giving advice! As for the gas, I took 2 gax x strips 3 times a day for a week at least! They seemed to really help.

Thanks for this posting. These are the very things i was talking to my nutritionist about and was saying that they need to be talked about at a support group. It's great to have someone who's out a year and has lost all their weight, but they forget the struggles the first few weeks out. I'm 5 weeks out.

She thought that was a great idea and called and asked me if i would be willing to speak at the June support group. I'm super excited!

Ooh, that would be super exciting to be asked to speak. We do have a support group here, I have never went. I find such good support here and through the blogs. I should probably go though bc I hear that a lot more gastric RNY patients go....

Thank you Amy for sharing that! I am just starting my journey...I have to attend meeting on May 13th and then my journey really begins. I took notes about what you said in your post and I am going to do them. And thanks for giving me and everyone else the heads up on what to expect. I love this site! I keep learning more and more stuff everyday that I am on here! Thanks so much! And Keep going girl....ur almost there!

Sincerely

~Babs15~

Thanks Amy for banding! I have had my band for four days. I am definately in Bandster HELL! I am not only hungry, but I am having hunger pangs today. I can only have Protein Drinks and Water, Vitamin water or Decaf tea for three weeks. I have so much gas I feel like I am going to explode. Sometimes the gas will come out and other times it will just stay there. It really hurts when it is stuck. I notice when I sleep on my side even though it may hurt a bit the gas comes out. Please tell me how you made it through Bandster HELL? What did you do when you really got hungry? I've nursed my hunger pangs with Protein drinks, but that is not hitting the spot. Please advise! Thanks! :glare:

Hi. I'm new to this. Just registered today. I already went to the first meeting and met the doctor. Tomorrow I'm going to get the endoscopy, bloodwork, ultrasound and something else but i cant remember... all i have to do now is wait for the insurance approval. I'm scared but i know i'm not alone. Thank you for reading.

Thanks Amy for banding! I have had my band for four days. I am definately in Bandster HELL! I am not only hungry, but I am having hunger pangs today. I can only have Protein drinks and Water, Vitamin Water or Decaf tea for three weeks. I have so much gas I feel like I am going to explode. Sometimes the gas will come out and other times it will just stay there. It really hurts when it is stuck. I notice when I sleep on my side even though it may hurt a bit the gas comes out. Please tell me how you made it through Bandster HELL? What did you do when you really got hungry? I've nursed my hunger pangs with Protein drinks, but that is not hitting the spot. Please advise! Thanks! :frown:

Holy liquid Diet! I have heard of people being on Clear liquids for 2 weeks, but never three and Clear Liquids usually include SF popsicles, Jello, broth, etc. Are you sure that you can't have any of those? Someone on here misunderstood her docs instructions and did liquids for like 6 weeks until her first visit! Depending on your relationship with your doc, maybe you could call and see if you could move on to Jello, popsicles, and broth. Broth is just as much of a liquid water. Broth made me feel at least I was getting something that tasted like food. And popsicles let me chew on something...so that was nice.

I called my doc after about a week to see if i could move on to full liquids like cream Soups bc I was getting light headed, etc from all the liquids.

Just try to remember you dont want to damage your band by risking a solid food that could get stuck. I don't have much help for you bc it totally sucks! It will be worth it though! See if you can add some "foods"...with your doc's approval. My doc swears that the Protein shakes are supposed to curb the hunger...I used to wonder if he had ever HAD one!

--Amy