Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

College Student in New Orleans

Hi everyone!

As the header says, I'm a graduating undergrad, soon to be graduate student, in New Orleans. I'm exactly a week away from going to the required informational session at Oschner, where hopefully, I'll have my surgery performed at the end of summer. I'm interested in talking to new people, especially college students, and getting some insight into how you're dealing with school, a social life, and the band.

I'm so glad I found this forum. Can't wait to hear from you!

--C182:smile2:

hey I'm also in college. I got my band during winter break and so far so good. Social life is good after the band, although a lot of people wonder why I don't eat very much. normally i just laugh at them when they tease me about being annorexic and tell them that I love food too much to be annorexic. if you have any questions about the band I would love to help out and answer them!

Yay! I've already friended you back. *g*

Nice to meet you. It's sweet that your friends understand and rib you nicely about it. You've made AMAZING progress, according to your ticker! Are you exercising also?

I'm so glad to find someone who can totally empathize with what's to come. This is a BIG step and its always nice to have support from people who can totally understand where you're coming from.

hahaha I'm actually REALLY bad at exercising. unless you count work as exercise(I do!). I work in a store where I have to run around heavy clothes all day.

so are you going to be self-pay or do you think your insurance will help?

LOL. Running around doing work totally counts in my book! I was doing Weight Watchers for the last two years and managed to lose 80 lbs on my own, but gradually started to lose ground around December. So I've gone from doing the elliptical and weight training to just staring at my Richard Simmons Sweating to the Oldies DVDs. :)

Well, the mandatory info session requires that you have insurance approval before you can even come to it. I guess it's the hospital's way of making sure that potential patients can pay, though it seems harsh. Yeah, my insurance will cover it through a secondary payer, because I'm from out of state.

wow 80lbs on your own is amazing!!! I would never have been able to do that before the band. and that's good that your insurance is going to pay.

Thanks! Did your insurance pay for it or was it self pay?

My insurance paid 80%. let me know how your informational thing goes.

Hi,

I live outside of Hammond, la. I, too, am waiting for my band surgery. I am a college student, as well. I'm a few semesters from my associates degree. I work full-time, to boot. I am hopeing to have the surgery before the fall semester starts. I chose not to take a summer class in hopes that the surgery can be schedule soon. If not, then it'll have to wait until winter break ;)

Kristine

Hopefully you won't have to wait until winter break. It's hard to wait for something so exciting.

Hey!

I wanted to let you know that I've been to the general meeting and I'm on my way to getting the blood work and physicals done. I'm originally from Miami and have come back home for half of the summer. While I'm here, I'll get the basic medical appointments done. Did you have to meet with a psychologist and dietitian before you were banded?

I'm so excited!

Hi!

Nice to meet you. I just graduated from Tulane and I'll be starting grad school at Tulane in the Fall as well. Are you having your surgery done with Oschner? With all the appointments they have mandated surgery candidates attend, I'm hoping I'll have surgery by Halloween.

Here's to keeping my fingers crossed. :blush:

how did the general meeting go? I did have to do a psych eval but it was a piece of cake!

Hi!!

I am a college student too, my surgery is on July 31st and then I am moving back to school about 10 days later soooo I am really interested too on how other college students are doing with the band. Good luck with it =]].

(by the way.. losing 80lbs is AWESOME!! congratsss)

HEY Im a college student too!!! I had lap-band placed 08/2008 and school started a week and a half later and I didnt have any problems walking around campus. I have struggled with it a little but but its finally getting better!! Life really hasnt changed much for me except that I dont eat very much and I dont go out to eat very often. I would love to talk to you more or any other college student, it would be so nice to have someone closer to my age to talk about this with!! :crying: