Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Guys!

I just got approved for my surgery yesterday after 5 weeks of waiting. The date is set for next Friday, May 15th. I am so happy and excited but I have one small problem. The timing is absolutely terrible. My boyfriend's sister is graduating from college the week after my banding. We are all going to make the 4 hour drive to San Diego and then the 2 hour drive to LA for a 3 day stay at Disneyland. My surgery scheduler said that I shouldn't be in the car for long periods of time. So, I guess my question is regarding whether or not I will be ok to attend the festivities. I know everyone feels differently after surgery. But, if I take it easy and avoid the rides, will it be an incredibly stupid idea to make the trek? My boyfriend wants me to move the surgery but this is something I have been waiting for for a very long time. Thoughts?

Thanks! :thumbup:

I would have said its too soon to go, as how do you know you are going to be up for all that walking/standing about, & the others are going to be eating, drinking, going on rides having a good time when you might be in pain/discomfort & over do it just for the sake of it,

I would go for my OP, to me thats more important & catch up with his sister another time, im sure she will understand?

As long as you get out and get your legs moving to avoid clots the ride would probably be fine. My concern would be the 3 days at Disney. Thats A LOT of activity for only being 1 wk post op.

If it were me, I'd reschedule.

I returned to work in 3 days but I still had a lot of fatigue up to about 2-3 weeks post op.

You are going 1 week post surgery? well 1 week post surgery they removed my staples and I had already been back to work 4 days and driving for 3 of those days. You will be okay. Just be careful on some of the rides. Maybe stay away from space mountain.

This may seem kind of weird but why not reschedule your surgery for when you get back? That way you can go to Disneyland and have fun and concentrate on youself when you get back.

I know you have been waiting 5 weeks but what is another week or two? The surgery and band will still be here I promise.

3 days at Disney a week after surgery? You're brave/crazy, LOL. That's a lot of walking, never mind skipping all the rides. Then there's the whole liquid diet thing. Disney doesn't want you to bring anything in with you so you'll have to explain (and take a doctor's "note" in case you need it), AND that's a lot of stuff to have to carry around (unless you are staying in a hotel "in" the park and can go back to your room).

I'm sure somebody else will think of other considerations. But I think I'm with your boyfriend at this point.

I felt pretty good one week out.... but not good enough to go to Disneyland. That is a LOT of walking and standing. It is pretty warm there already and if you are on pain meds.... I just don't think it sounds like a good idea... or even fun. Also, you didn't mention if you are staying in a hotel or not, but it might be kinda hard to be on the post-op diet if you are not at home. Hot tea, broth, sf popsicles..... not that easy to find and have around if you are in a hotel. If you don't want to reschedule your surgery, then I would pass on the trip to Disneyland. Good luck to you! Becky

I know you've been waiting for the surgery and it is SO exciting to actually "get the date". That said, I would definitely move the date of the surgery until after your trip. Everyone heals differently and it is quite possible you could still be in pain, immobile or both. You definitely won't be able to schedule proper eating in my opinion. Enjoy all of Disneyland and it's glory and be excited the entire time knowing your surgery date is waiting for you when you get home. I've gone to a Disney park every year of my life, and WOULD NEVER suggest anyone not go, EXCEPT in this instance. I healed very fast from my surgery and STILL wouldn't have been able to do the trip you're taking. Take it easy and slow and enjoy Mickey and have the surgery when you get back.

Disney rents wheelchairs. It makes access to the tame rides faster. I rented one when I was pregnant but perfectly capable of walking just because I didn't want to overdo. It was great. If you opt to do that, you can walk some and then be pushed. Would your boyfriend hate pushing you everywhere?

I dunno, I live 40 mins from Disney and I'd probably go.

Since your trip is longer, can you borrow or rent a more comfy vehicle, like a van/minivan or something where you could "kick-back" a bit and not be cramped for 4 hours?

Good luck whatever you decide!!! :thumbup:

RE: the liquid diet... I've never had anyone complain about the sippy cups I bring in for the kids. You can call ahead and see if you will have a problem bringing in liquid diet stuff, and if they take issue with it, determine if there is a restaurant that could serve you something you could eat (I am still pre-op and don't have all the dietary things memorized, so I'm just thinking Clear Liquids, right???) They don't want to "lose" a customer and I am sure they would prefer to take the 20$ loss on the food over you canceling your trip.

Not trying to encourage you to go, I am just saying if you want to do both, it's not entirely crazy. :D

Edited by 39andholding

Hi Guys!

I just got approved for my surgery yesterday after 5 weeks of waiting. The date is set for next Friday, May 15th. I am so happy and excited but I have one small problem. The timing is absolutely terrible. My boyfriend's sister is graduating from college the week after my banding. We are all going to make the 4 hour drive to San Diego and then the 2 hour drive to LA for a 3 day stay at Disneyland. My surgery scheduler said that I shouldn't be in the car for long periods of time. So, I guess my question is regarding whether or not I will be ok to attend the festivities. I know everyone feels differently after surgery. But, if I take it easy and avoid the rides, will it be an incredibly stupid idea to make the trek? My boyfriend wants me to move the surgery but this is something I have been waiting for for a very long time. Thoughts?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Hi,

I had the same thing happen to me. I was finally ready to schedule and they gave me 5/7/09 but I'm due to go on vacation 5/8. I changed the date until 5/14 which seemed great but I forgot about the two week preop liquid diet. If you are going to reschedule take that into consideration, the last thing you want to do is be on a liquid diet at Disney. I say change the date. Let this be your last hoorah and enjoy yourself.

Rosa

There's no way I could do that at one week out, that was the first day I had gone anywhere and all I did was go to Target for about 20 minutes and I was pooped!

I would reschedule.. at 4 weeks post op i went to Six Flags Great America for 4 hrs, i was so dizzy, nausious and light headed.. and i went on NO rides. And i was on mushies.. Your body doesnt have the fuel that soon.

Also at one week you wont be up to riding in a car or going to disney, maybe sleeping.....

I am three weeks post op and I would NEVER even consider going to Disneyland at this point!! I am still fatigued and sore........the liquid diet, at least what I am, has tired me out on top of the trauma of surgery.

Oh I can't even imagine being at Disneyland at this point!! I am driving and going back to work on MOnday but I am gonna take it slow...........

Hmmm..........I agree reschedule the surgery for a week AFTER. I did that I put surgery out a month so I could go to Africa for three weeks than had surgery when I got back.....