Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I would LOVE your advice (LapBand) ...

My weight is ruining my life! I'm not happy. I'm not doing what I want to be doing. I'm not having the fun I want to be having! I have various health issues: my knees , my feet, my back, my blood pressure, my blood sugar. I am 125+ lbs. overweight. I have been for atleast 15 years. I have tremendous motivation ... but, it gets deflated if I don't see results (which is always the case lately). Through the years ... I have gained & lost many, many lbs. Beyond working out at home, I have tried/joined many outside sources: Bally's Fitness, NutriSystem, Jazzercize, Curves ... I even tried a Hypnotist. I had temporary success with all. I have also purchased: a Treadmill, a Stationery Bike, a Stair Stepper, the Gazelle, an Ab Rocker, etc. My basement is full! But ... the last 2 years ... I've spent 3 days a week, in Physical Therapy, for various knee & back issues. I'M SICK OF IT!!!!! I'm interested in the LapBand because I understand it's less evasive. I am afraid of doing something that's High Risk. I also need to find out if it's covered by my insurance. Also, I need to know about the LapBand & metal allergies. I can't wear jewelry/glasses without breaking out ... do I need to be concerned about the material used in the band? Thanks for any/all advice you can offer, and any direction you can give. My local Bariatric Dr. offers a Monthly "Meeting" to talk about Weight Loss Procedures, I guess that's where I should begin my journey??? THANKS ALL! <3

First of all, there is no metal in the band...it is made of silicone (plastic) so it is inert.

Insurance coverage. Best thing to do is to call your insurance company (there should be a customer service number on your insurance card) and talk to them. Remember that if you have, for example BCBS, your coverage is not going to be the same as another person on this forum. Get the information from the horse's mouth. If you have coverage, ask for the names of some surgeons in your area who are on your insurance. The local doc's seminar would be informational (make a list of questions you have) and ask them, but they would have to check to see if they are on your insurance plan.

We've all gained and lost plenty of weight. Don't feel alone on that one! Just remember that the lap band isn't a magic wand ... you are going to have to make the right choices and exercise. The lap band will just be a tool to help you with your eating. It will not prevent you from eating a plateful of french fries, for example; it will only limit how much.

Hey there!

First of all good luck with your decision. I had the band put in Jan. 9th (09). Best thing I have ever done. No more joint or knee issues. Have lost 67 pounds and feel great. I was nervous at 1st thinking of how many times I failed diets before. It is an awesome tool! True if you want to eat around it you can. I have not been perfect, but am so thankful for my band!! I walk 1 1/2 miles every day. Have actually started jogging as much as I can. It is hard work, but changes are incredible!!!

First of all, there is no metal in the band...it is made of silicone (plastic) so it is inert.

Insurance coverage. Best thing to do is to call your insurance company (there should be a customer service number on your insurance card) and talk to them. Remember that if you have, for example BCBS, your coverage is not going to be the same as another person on this forum. Get the information from the horse's mouth. If you have coverage, ask for the names of some surgeons in your area who are on your insurance. The local doc's seminar would be informational (make a list of questions you have) and ask them, but they would have to check to see if they are on your insurance plan.

We've all gained and lost plenty of weight. Don't feel alone on that one! Just remember that the lap band isn't a magic wand ... you are going to have to make the right choices and exercise. The lap band will just be a tool to help you with your eating. It will not prevent you from eating a plateful of french fries, for example; it will only limit how much.

I believe there is metal in the band (at least mine there is) The back side of the port is made of Titanium so that during fills the needle will not be pushed all the way through it.

Call the insurance company. Go to the meeting. That is your assignment for the month of May. :cool2:

The first thing you should do is call your insurance company and ask if it is covered. Then you should go to a seminar to get all the information you can.

There is titanium on the back side of the port. But I haven't heard of anyone having any problems form it.

I have been banded a year this month. My weight loss has been slow compared to some of the others, but I still believe it is the best thing I have ever done for myself. But you have to get it in your head to do it. No matter how much exercise equipment you buy, it won't matter if you aren't commited to using it and eating right. The band helps with Portion Control, but there are ways to eat around it. Cookies and chocolate still go down just fine and I can eat as much of that stuff as I want. So you still have to be motivated. Good luck!