Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight: Life Long Battle.

Hi, I am new to the idea of lap banding.

I am 5'4 and weigh 270 or 80, i stopped counting. However what i have not done is stopped feeling how my body is talking to me about how i have spent a life time of miss treatment. I would like to know if there are people in the Melbourne Florida area who are thinking of getting the lap band done and people in the area who have had it done already. I work with two people who have had it done and both have had great success. Never the less i still have to talk to more people and ask lots of question. This is very serious stuff and i am scared to death to move one way or another.

All i do know is i'm ready to make a change in my life. Im tired of living through others for my dreams. Its time to take off the shakles of despire. Sinserly,:cool2: Dawn

Not in Florida BUT that's the beauty of this forum. You can talk to LOTS of people and hear their stories, get their advice and, receive support (as well as give it). ASK AWAY.

I'm not in your area either but I'm 5'4 and started out at 269, I was banded on April 23rd at 263, and now at just under 2 weeks post op I am down to 249. If you have any questions I'm happy to help!

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for the replies... What finally brought you to the point to make such a big change? How have you learned to eat differently from the way you eat before. The band does not change the emotional part of the problem. It only help with the wt. part? Dawn Pimentel

Hello Lilith... what brought you to the point of change? So far have you found things you can not eat and how do you control the portion size. I know you can only eat 4oz but don't you wont to eat more since that is what you are use to eating. How is the surgery part of the banding. Dawn

I'm in Lakeland. I'm seeing a doc in Zephyrhills. I;m sorta new to it all too.

This is what I did:

Find a doc near-by.

Go to seminar.

Fill out info for doc.

Have consult.

Call insurance. Doc also submitted request for coverage on medical necessity. (I am 4'10 and 190-ish at consult, 180-ish now due to gall bladder attack induced starvation diet)

Psych eval tomorrow.

Gall bladder being removed Friday... have to wait at least 6 weeks for lapband surgery.

No date scheduled yet, but I guess the soonest would be first week in July.

ETA: my insurance policy does not have any awesome hoops to jump thru.

Edited by 39andholding
additional info

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for the replies... What finally brought you to the point to make such a big change? How have you learned to eat differently from the way you eat before. The band does not change the emotional part of the problem. It only help with the wt. part? Dawn Pimentel

Truthfully, I got on the scale back before Christmas and I was 284 pounds .... and I swore then I would never, ever see 300. But I knew darned well that unless I did something I would see 300 in the near future. My best friend and I had been talking about lap band and I talked to my doctor about it on December 17, when he told me I was an ideal candidate. He gave me the name of two surgeons he felt were good and I took it and RAN with it. Didn't even bother with the seminar, but made an appointment for an individual consultation (my friend went on the same day) and was working on thoe pre-op required testing within a couple of days. I went for that consultation on 1/2 and had surgery on 2/10. And, I have never looked back. Down 52 pounds since then.

I never had a problem losing weight; keeping it off was a whole other story. As a type 2 diabetic, I was eating reasonably well, just larger portions than I needed. So I gave up soda in January, and have simply focused on the "plan". As I get closer to my sweet spot, it's getting easier and easier.

Hello Lilith... what brought you to the point of change? So far have you found things you can not eat and how do you control the portion size. I know you can only eat 4oz but don't you wont to eat more since that is what you are use to eating. How is the surgery part of the banding. Dawn

Hi Dawn,

Right now I'm still on the post-op diet, I just started the pureed stage. I'm not having a problem with portions, a little bit seems to do it (as long as I listen to my body and not my mind) - the most difficult part is not being able to drink while eating, this is going to be my biggest challenge.

As far as why I decided to be banded... I was sick (am sick) of sitting on the side lines watching my family go about life without me. My two youngest kids are now overweight and I want to make this change for all of us. Banding was the safest option as far as WLS was concerned so that's what I went for.

Edited by lilith

Hi Guys,

went to seminar last night. Good information and made me relize if i keep going at the rate i am i will not live to see my kids have kids. sooo i found out i was self pay so that means leg work for me. i will keep all posted. Im still hopeful. Dawn

I live in Melbourne (Viera). I've just made my Intro post and I'm going to a seminar on the 28th.

Whose seminar did you go to?

Hey Dawn,

My story is not new but one that appears here regularly. I have had a weight problem all my life. I mean my mom had me on weight watchers at 9. She looks back and is upset as she seems to feel it set the tone for my life. Which was ups and downs with weight until I finally gave up in my early 30's, figuring I was desinted to always be 'fat'. Then when I was about 38 my sister introduced me to the Atkin's diet. I lost 65 lbs in a year and managed to keep it off for seven. I thought I'd finally found what I needed.

Well three years later I had a family emergency which had me stray from the diet. Each day or week was, I'll get back on next day or week until I'd gained every hard lost pound back. Becoming resigned once again to severe obesity, I got a wake up call when my cholesterol and triglycerides came back borderline high. I've had controlled high blood pressure since my 20's but now this. Add to that I had a new granddaughter I felt the need to watch grow up.

It's been a long 11 months since I asked my PCP if I qualified for a lap band but it was worth the effort. Here I am a few days post banding and I am ready to get on with my new life.

Hi Hollij,

I went to Doc. Fosco's. It was very informative and he seems like a great doc. I'm just a little concerned that he has not done more surgery's than he has plus the exspence is very hi. He has done about 600 surgerys. But for all i'm going through now i guess the exspecne is even higher. The seminar was at the mimia building behind holms regional.

Where is the seminar at that you will be going to on the 28th. Let me know and if its not the same one maybe i could go with you. I also live in the veria area of melbourne. Dawn