Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Band Or Not To Band

I have been overweight for the last 10 years. I have tried everything, but to no avail. Problem I suffer with decipline and I am an emotional eater. I am currently on anti-depressants and are suffering from depression which I believe is greatly caused by my weight. I am about 40kg overweight bit I am sincerely not happy with myself. And I am gaining because I am in this cycle of emotional eating and derpession.:thumbup: The one feeds the other. Now I am considering Lap Band. I am however very conflicted in my feelings and I was hoping someone out there can give me some advise and some insight if they were/are in a similar position. Will lap band help for someone that suffers from emotional eating? The changes and the struggels that comes with the band?:smile: So in other words: Should I or shouldnt I?

Hi band. I'm probably ignite a firestorm and get lots of angry PM's, but I'll tell you what I think: The band doesn't do much for emotional eating.

The band is a fantastic tool for helping us to feel more satisfied with less food; However, the real power of the band is that it helps re-train us on how much of a portion size we should be eating.

It is entirely possible to still overeat with the band. The band doesn't make you eat healthy food. The band doesn't make you exercise. There are some things you HAVE to do for yourself if you want to be successful with your band.

Remember, if you're in doubt, then it's probably better to hold off, for now. This is one of those things where you want to err on the side of caution.

I was so worried about these same things. And you know, I believe once an emotional/over/compulsive eater, whatever applies, you always will be. The band doesnt make that go away.

But obesity doesnt result from truly awful eating behaviour all the time, it results from slight imbalances in energy intake that go on for years at a time. And likewise, weight loss does not result from utterly perfect dieting behaviour for the rest of your life. It results from slightly changing that energy balance to the negative side and maintaining that for years.

With a band you can do that.

Will you eat poorly again in the future? Yes. But the band gives you an awfully big kick in the behind, a big shot of determination to make it work. It helps you get back on track when you fall off the wagon and most of all, your blow outs will be minor compared to what they are now. You may like to down a cheeseburger, fries and a large coke, but you simply wont be able to anymore. You will feel equally as guilty for having eaten a small fries!

And if you can get the exercise going, which no surgery can EVER make you do, that you have to do yourself, that really really helps you to get good results.

I'm the same person I was before banding in many ways, I tend to eat in the same situations, I have the same problem foods, etc. But the balance has changed enough to cause me to loose weight, I've gained confidence in my ability to manage my weight. Most of all, since I gave up dieting forever and allowed myself to eat what I want when I want it, confident that the band would keep me in control, my vicious cravings for certain food have pretty much gone away. Why eat an entire packet of Cookies when you know you can have one any old time you want anyway? And I discovered a real passion for running, and now a real love for being super fit that keeps me on the straight and narrow.

So really, its just the end result of a thousand little steps. There's no transforming yourself into a perfect person, no need to.

Thank you for your advice. Do you have any advice for me for my first consultation with the surgeon? I am scared that he will deny my decision and not do the Lap Band for me? What should I do and what shouldnt I do? What should I say and what not?:thumbup:

I made up my mind but now I need to get the doctor to approve me for surgery:blink:

Its so different here in Australia that I'd hesitate to give advice, because you guys get denied for all sorts of reasons that we dont face, for starters hardly anybody would do a bypass or switch here! It hasnt been done for years, lapband is the norm for anyone wanting weight loss surgery, so you wont find surgeons pushing you into other surgeries. And we dont have all the dicking around with insurance either.

But I'd suggest being clear on the reasons why you want the band and firm about the fact that you understand the work that is involved with a restrictive weight loss surgery (band OR sleeve) - that you know that diet and exercise choices made by you are a big part of the success.

Good luck!