Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Lap Band Buddy / Mentor Need experienced/successful bander

I am 40 years old, female and I was banded May 2004. I did great at first, losing about 60-70 lbs in the first year. The I plateaued for a while and didn't lose for another year. Then I got back on track and started losing rapidly...another 50 lbs. Then it all went downhill. I quit smoking and had a problem with my band in the same month (10/07) and had to have all the Fluid removed. I went crazy and ate everything in site for the next month, until I was refilled. Unfortunately, I never really got back on track after that. I seem to eat anything and everything now. I gained back about 50 lbs and can't seem to stop. I would love to talk to someone who has been successful and can give support and advice.

I have had a similar problem with my band. It has slipped a bit and the Doc took all the Fluid out in the hopes it will fall back into place. Since then, I have been struggling mightily--eating alot and feeling hungry--and have gained 10 lbs. I have lost 57lbs altogether--it was 67lbs. So I am in the same boat you are. I don't know how to reverse this slide, until I get my band fixed. Maybe we can talk about it.

I was banded on 9/8/08. Although I'm a slow loser (53 pounds) I have a very positive attitude. I'm glad I had the surgery and I'm making good food choices. I have two kids still at home, and i'm cooking more healthy for them, also. Basically, I have let them join me on my journey and they are really enjoying it.

I am here if you need some help. I feel like I have a good handle on this process, and I'd be more than happy to help in any way you need me.

Well, I am lucky my band is ok - and it does help with restriction but as you all know - even with restriction we can eat around it...

This is why I have never considered myself as being on a diet - I have really truly changed my eating habits I eat healthy - so if I did have a problem with my band ya I could eat more - but I don't think that would be a major major problem cuz I have cut out the junk - sweets and high fat foods.. Well I do still have treats but they are planned and in controlled portions - I buy 1 candy bar not a halloween size bag and eat the whole thing in one nite - cuz I don't have that kind of control - I am a food addict - so I don't do my trigger foods too often and if I do have one like I said - it's just a portion

It's not eating one piece of cake that made us fat it's cuz we ate the whole darn thing..

Yes our bands help - but as you know - it's really up to you and your food choices - heck I am almost 2 yrs out and I will be physically food but I still want to eat ..

IMHO the majority of our food issues are in our heads and not our stomach

You just have to get your mind in the game and not think of yourself as dieting - get the junk out of the house - would you leave a bottle of booze on the kitchen table if you were an alcohlic??? So why are you going to have candy Cookies whatever it is that you love - in your house.... Same principal...

So tonite clean out the pantry - make a menu up of healthy meals - tomorrow go out and buy the stuff - and make healthy meals - go back to logging your food and get out and take a walk - get back in the game - this isn't about being skinny really it's about improving our health...

If you want a few more years on this earth - the it's time to make the changes that are necessary to pro-long your life by getting the weight off...

You are welcome to come and join us in the "I'm here to help thread"

Hugs - Janet