Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

when did you lose clothes sizes not just lbs.?

I have lost about 24lbs. since my surgery 36 days ago. I'm happy that the numbers on the scale are going down, but my clothing size has not changed :unsure: Last year I lost about 15lbs., was about 270 and I could definately tell a difference in my clothes. I weigh less than that now, why no change?

Anyone had this issue before?

Thanks for reading :)

At 5ft 10 with 80 to 100lb to lose, I had to lose a good 30 before I could say I'd gone down a size. In that time, I did squeeze into a few tighter items in my wardrobe, but I didnt need new clothes until I'd lost 30 or so.

At this end of the journey, if I lost 10lb all my clothes would be way too big. It depends entirely on how much you have to lose and where you carry it. I went down sizes much more quickly in tops than I did in jeans and pants too.

Also, post surgery with the liquid diet and all, you lose a lot of Water weight. You probably havent lose 24lb of fat in 36 days. Fat loss takes a lot longer but fat loss is what makes the size difference.

I had wondered the same thing... I had lost like 25 pounds before I needed to go down a size. I kept thinking, when will my pants size change. Then I went to visit my parents out of town and my Mom told me my clothes were just falling off. Turns out she was right and I tried on a smaller size & it fit perfectly. I guess I still had the old image of myself in my head.

Just to give you a little of an idea, I am 5 foot even and weighed 218 to begin with, I needed to loose 88 pounds. I was at about 190 before I changed a size. I am now at 186 and can tell less pounds now, make a bigger difference. However, people still say the most dreaded phrase to me "I can REALLY tell in your face" and my response in my head is always, COME ONE PEOPLE, I DIDN'T LOOSE 32LBS (so far) IN MY FACE!! :unsure:

God luck, it wont be long now until you feel extra room in your garmets!

Meg - A lot of people commented about my face at first as well. I thought the same thing, but now I suspect I must have lost it from there first.

Pappy, I'm pretty sure it took close to 40 pounds for me to change sizes and also for folks to notice. I discovered that people always commented when I would get into a new size, even now they notice when I change to a new size, but not until.

Congrats on your weight loss!

5'9", starting weight 284, wearing a 3X/26. Now down 53 pounds, wearing some 1X/20. My clothes started getting bigger pretty quickly but I kept wearing anything that didn't fall off me because I was postponing any shopping. Still haven't bought anything except some 1X tshirts. I'm making do for as long as I can.

It took a while. 20 lbs into it my shirts were hanging off me and here I am down over 40 lbs and I'm finally down 1 pants size.

I went from a 26 top and bottom to 18/20 top and 24 bottom. Hopefully by the end of summer they will be the same.

It comes off of each of us differently and different styles and fabrics fit differently. I lost about 12lbs. before my pre-op diet and got into an 18 for the first time in about 4 years; that was on the 28th of Feb. I was at 228lbs. I have now lost a total of 38lbs. My daughter took me Mother's Day shopping on Sat. and she bought me some size 14 jeans that fit really nice. However, we couldn't find anything Khaki that would even come close to fitting under an 18 (which I wouldn't try on). Some tops fit that are large, and others won't go over my breast (which are smaller). Check your measurements and I bet they are going down. My face is slimmer and I can see it. Other the few people that know I had surgery only one person has commented that I lost weight. Try some things on in smaller sizes and I think you will be happy

Edited by niterun

I have lost 35 and just went down a size. My tops went down alot faster than my bottoms. And I agree depends on the brand what fits.

People are just starting to notice I have lost weight. Nobody said anything and just a few people recently have commented.

No one knows about my surgery they thought I had surgery for a hernia. I told them I had to lose weight to have the surgery so not alot questions.

For me my shape is changing, but not so much the actual weight on the scale. Things are just shifting around.

Niterun, you're almost 1/2 way there! Way to go!!

I think that at around 35-40 pounds I had to go down in size. After that clothing size went down pretty quickly and I was getting very little use out of my clothes before they had to be donated and replaced.

Jodi, congrats on reaching your goal! Mine seems to stay just out of reach, but I'm not giving up!

Nice timing with the question. I just bought a pair of 36 waist jeans for the first time in 20 years this weekend. New belt too. Also bought a Large polo shirt for the first time as well. I didn't notice in your post if you were male or female. My wife has lost a lot more faster, so she noticed quickly (bypass) Seems to me women notice faster because they have more sizes. I lost a lot of weight before I started working out, but my clothing size dropped faster once I started working out again.

Then I went to visit my parents out of town and my Mom told me my clothes were just falling off. Turns out she was right and I tried on a smaller size & it fit perfectly. I guess I still had the old image of myself in my head.

I think you hit a key point. I looked at a recent photo of myself and thought, boy you can see how big that shirt looks and was pleased, its obvious I lost weight. After looking at it 10 times, I realized I would still probably look good with something that fit well.

Oh, yea, political correctness plays a part in the other part of your post. I've worked for some big companies where you can get called into HR just because someone perceived you were looking at their body.

Edited by BillOh

5'9", starting weight 284, wearing a 3X/26. Now down 53 pounds, wearing some 1X/20. My clothes started getting bigger pretty quickly but I kept wearing anything that didn't fall off me because I was postponing any shopping. Still haven't bought anything except some 1X tshirts. I'm making do for as long as I can.

I frequently yell at my wife because she is such a pack rat. Well to her defense, she kept a bunch of her "skinny clothes" packed away until she needed them again. And since she knew she was and is continuing to lose, she has found some great bargains at thrift stores.

Jodi, congrats on reaching your goal! Mine seems to stay just out of reach, but I'm not giving up!

Thanks Suzanne. Yeah, definitely don't give up-you'll get there...that last 20 pounds was soooo stubborn.