Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, I have not had the band yet, but will on 5/6 and I have a sister that is older than me and has all kinds of issues. sleep apnea, high blood pressure, diabetes, ect. She also has irritable bowel syndrome and she is thinking about getting the band but would like to know if there are others out there who have ibs and the band and how they are doing. She doesn't have a computer and it is difficult for her to get out of the house to go to a seminar. I appreciate any information you have to offer.

She really REALLY needs to attend a seminar. She'll need to like the surgeon and whether or not her IBS is an issue can depend on the doc and his/her experience. Plus, does her insurance cover lap band? It's worth it to go..

There are also tons of books out there (I bought a couple from amazon) about lap banding that may get her going.

Thanks restless, I have given her all the information I have from my surgeon and he is the best in the area. I am just wanting to know if there are others who have had IBS before the band. Basically is it possible to have IBS and still get the band. Hope that makes since.

Here's a link to the "contraindications" (scroll down) straight off the trademarked lap band web site:

Lapband.com - LAP-BAND® System Risk and Complications Information

IBS isn't specifically listed but some doctors may feel it falls in there along with other digestive problems...so truly it depends on the surgery and she would need to talk with a surgeon (or several) to find out that info!

I was banded on March 30th and have had IBS for 8years. I know i've only been banded a month but my IBS problems have not been an issue. I had to have alot of test done before surgery not because of my surgeon but my gastro doctor wanted to make sure everything would be ok. I had a colonoscopy, EGD (have to have for surgery anyway), Barium enema, Blood tests, Upper GI, and another one where they looked at the small intestines (can't remember name). My surgeon knew from the beginning and it wasn't an issue at all. Since surgery I had problems the first week or so but none since. I take a powdered medication with food or liquids to help control it. I have the IBS where I am always running to the bathroom in pain and well I'm never constipated to say the least! If she has it with Constipation then I'm not sure. I think that with IBS she really should talk to her doctor first to make sure but so far so good with me. Hope my experience helps some!

I have IBS (the running to the bathroom kind) and having the band has actually improved my symptom! My gastro doctor thinks it is because of all the Protein, but admitted that he can't truly explain why my symptoms are improved. To be honest, he wasn't thrilled I was getting a band, but now, he could not be happier with the improvement in my symptoms. I, too, went through all the testing beforehand and had no contraindications for banding.

I still have my up and down days and I always will, but there are way more up days than down days, now!!

Hope this helps!!

. I had to have alot of test done before surgery not because of my surgeon but my gastro doctor wanted to make sure everything would be ok. I had a colonoscopy, EGD (have to have for surgery anyway), Barium enema, Blood tests, Upper GI, and another one where they looked at the small intestines (can't remember name). My surgeon knew from the beginning and it wasn't an issue at all. !

same here - had to have the same tests done and a conversation between my gastro & lapband surgeon... i have crohns though not IBS.

my lapband surgeon was leary - but honestly, i feel 10x better now than pre surgery and haven't had one single flair up.

to the OP - you sister will likely have to have many tests done, and even then the surgeon may have doubts. she won't really know till she meets up w/one to have that conversation.

I have had IBS all my life. I was also worried about how the band would affect it. I am so much better! I used to have constant nausea and I was so worried about it being worse with the band. But it is much better now. I can't explain it. Maybe it has to do with diet changes and not eating as much. I do still have problems with diarrhea and Constipation, but I feel so much better than I did before I got the band.

Thanks for the info everyone. She definatly has the running to the bathroom kind and I realize she will have to talk to a surgeon and take many test. But her husband has Alzheimers and she would need to get someone to take care of him while attending a seminar and didn't want to even bother if she new it wasn't even going to be a possibility since she has IBS.

I know none of you are doctors and I am not asking for professional advice. I just wanted to know if others with IBS has had the band or if it was even possible to get the band with IBS. It sounds like it is and this is very helpful information to pass along to her.

I also know that everyone will have different results after the band, and hers may even get worse.

The reason I like this forum so much is that there are many people with all kinds of experiences and it is a great way to get information from others who have been there done that.

I would still like to hear from others who have had this condition so that I can share them with my sister.

I would even like to hear any negative experiences from people who have IBS and the band if they do exist.

Thanks to those who have already shared.