Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

good fill bad fill -- please reply!

I hope you get good results from this fill. Remind your doc it takes approx 7.0cc to get it right with our larger bands!! I could even go a little tighter, which is great for when I plateau again down the track. I know this because I can still eat a small amount in the morning - but I can feel every bite going down, which is tight enough for me right now. Compared to what little restriction I had at 5.5cc, where I almost felt wide open and ate everything in sight and felt discouraged and completely out of control, this fill is wonderful!

Let us know how you went with this fill after you get back.

Karen - I hope this fill helps you as well. :D But, if it doesn't, you will keep going back until you get to the level that works for you. I DO understand the disappointment of not making goals (I wanted to lose 100 pounds this year before my boyfriend's visit in January, but it just ain't going to happen - sigh. :D I have to remind myself that SOMEDAY I will be where I want to be, and missing this milestone is no big deal in the big scheme of things. :D )

Leo - I'm sorry you are PBing frequently - I just cannot stress enough to anyone that PBing cannot become the "norm" in our lives. If we are unwilling/unable to chew enough and eat slowly enough, or avoid the foods we have problems with to stop PBing, then we are too tight.

I have not met that many bandsters personally, but of the handful I have met 3 have had to have their bands emptied for 2-3 months to heal esophogitis from PBing. One gal was on her second unfill, and had regained 30 pounds during her healing phase. Being too tight and losing more quickly through frequent PBing will likely backfire on you in the long run.

Okay, "mother" mode off! Be safe and happy out there! :D

Hello Everyone

I have an AMI band also with Dr. Sanchez 8/14/03. I had my first fill 9/24/03 at that time they started at 5cc which closed me up alltogether and very painfull. As they started un-filling while drinking Barrium I could see the opening(X-ray) at 2cc and felt my esophagus open up. I had the dr. stop at 1.75cc. Everyone is different .

Now I'm lossing very slow 1/2 lb a week if that and have starting thinking I need another fill? Most of my diet consist of a piece of chicken or fish, I notice every bite going down too, twice I ate Pork and it came right back up. I read alittle lubrication helps, ketcup, mayo.. and that helps me. Yes I can eat as much salad, Soup, potatoes..I want but I don't.

I'm trying a stick to foods I feel going down they seem to keep me fuller longer. With the Holidays coming up I don't know what I'm going to do.

I just wanted to note that everyone is different. I think that as your stomach shrinks and the amount of fat around it has alot to do with Fills. I'm no expert.

I believe that Barb from Penn who has an AMI also has had a 4cc Fill. So I'm not sure if theres any correlation to the AMI bands and Fill amounts, again I think its an individual process.

I am always interrested with others that have an AMI band and there progress.

Good luck with your Fills.

Thanks so much for the support. I got my (2nd) fill at 1p today (4cc) (central time) and went for Soup a hour or so later (tomato basil, all liquid) and although I could sip it all I felt very full a little while later (I could feel it actually go in to my stomach slowly - almost like the barium dripping down -- this probalby doesn't make sense.. but I watched while I was getting the fill and watched it drip - is it from the stoma to the stomach?? at any rate my Dr. said if you get any more you are going to throw up and stopped at the 4cc... and on my way home from eating soup, I actually felt it coming up a little. So now I think I know what a PB or that full feeling FINALLY :D feels like! I had no idea. I really don't think for my first fill that I got more than .5cc (not even a whole cc) because when she drew the syringe back, nothing came out. :D (My Dr. is still learning). It was a good experience this time though because I experienced NO pain - thankfully, because the first time was pretty rough. I don't think I was numb enough. This time she dosed me up pretty good. I just felt a little pressure. I don't know how Dr.'s can do "good" blind fills... So I will have to see, I'm really excited, even though as I type my stomach is growling and growling loud.

It was really cool today too (while waiting to get a fill) to meet all of the people that came in from Mobile, AL, Mississippi, and areas around New Orleans. Most of us (6 / 8) had surgery in Monterrey by Dr. Sanchez and have the AMI 11cc band. One girl had a 9+ band (can't remember the percentage) and another got her's from Ortiz in Tijuana and has a much smaller band. I tried to tell my Dr. about your experience Jeanette with the 7.5 being your magic number. And it is true, everyone is different. One girl I met today has had her band for 2 years (the odd sized band) and has lost 105 lbs and looks great. Her experience was that she didn't start losing until her 2nd or 3rd fill and the WALLAH and she never "dieted" she just ate more Protein and less carbs but basically anything she want(ed)(s).

Well enough of my rambling, take care all!

I don't know how Dr.'s can do "good" blind fills...

My doctor does blind fills, and he does a great job! I feel a 'jab' as he puts the needle in the port, but no real pain. The only time I felt any pain, was when he filled the band really tight, then let some out, and it felt like it pinched my esophagus. It only lasted a second or two, and then it was fine. Even sitting up with the needle still in my port is not painful. A little uncomfortable, but not painful.

My Dr. tried to do a blind fill on me last week and although she eventually hit the port (or at least we think) it hurt so bad and I had 5 holes poked in me. She didn't do a fill because she was afraid she'd mess up my band (I was a guinea pig), but she does feel confident that she will eventually be able to do them. With the flouro though, it's such a breeze for her to find the port. I'm sure as soon as any dr. get's enough practice they should be able to do the blind fills with ease, but until then I would prefer having the flouro. They can see so much with the xray- and it's really cool to watch. Have you ever had one done under flouro? I really wouldn't care how I had it done as long as it was done properly and pain free. I am though, just amazed at the ones that do them (especially on a new patient) that they can find the port with such ease - with all these different ports and body types, but then I guess (MAYBE???) all ports (lapband/cancer) or basically the same... I don't know.

Karen, although my doctor is good at blind fills, I do believe I would have found my correct restriction quicker if I'd had a fill under fluro. It's a little hard to judge if you are restricted enough just by drinking Water at the time of the fill, whereas under fluro, there would be no doubt when you were tight enough. I'm glad you got a good fill today.