Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band replacement: Old band to AP Band?

Have been approved for a revision of my band to gastric bypass, but have been trying to avoid that like the plague... because I don't want it.

Well, at my last Dr's appointment on Tuesday, they mentioned the AP Band or Advance Platform Band. The lady said that people that have had problems with the original band have had great success with the AP Band. (My problems include: 1 slip, acid reflux, pain with swallowing, etc)

Would really like to try that before I opt into rerouting my guts.

Anyone out there had this switch? Any improvements? Same results/Better results?

Would love to know if it will be worth the money, worth trying, or if I need to give up the band and go ahead with RNY.

I honestly don't know if it is better or not. But instead of gastric by pass what about the sleeve? There are people on this web site that had the sleeve after the band.

Have been approved for a revision of my band to gastric bypass, but have been trying to avoid that like the plague... because I don't want it.

Well, at my last Dr's appointment on Tuesday, they mentioned the AP Band or Advance Platform Band. The lady said that people that have had problems with the original band have had great success with the AP Band. (My problems include: 1 slip, acid reflux, pain with swallowing, etc)

Would really like to try that before I opt into rerouting my guts.

Anyone out there had this switch? Any improvements? Same results/Better results?

Would love to know if it will be worth the money, worth trying, or if I need to give up the band and go ahead with RNY.

I would not get another band. When you replace a band the chances for a future slip is *very* high. Somewhere around 70%.

I had a band and switched to a sleeve. Your MD office may be claiming that the stats are better with the newer band but overall stats are not proving that is correct. They are slipping just as much as the old bands and restriction is a long time waiting so weight loss is very slow.

I'd check out the sleeve section (soon to be a new forum of its own) before doing anything. Having a sleeve is like a band that works better and does not slip or erode.

I have tried to get the sleeve approved. Went all the way to the "top" so to speak, but after the 5th denial letter we put in for the RNY. TWO DAYS later it was approved. Then, I found about this new AP band. Called the Insurance company and it will be approved. "Device failure" does fall under my coverage.

As for the sleeve, I have checked into self pay and the MX doctor that my friends have used now does a two step procedure. He will take out the band $5000.00, four months later, he will do the sleeve $11,000.00... plus travel for both procedures.

Self pay in TX is around the same... Even if BC/BS will pay for the lapband removal part of it... they want the other in cash up front.

So my choices are RNY, Band Removal Only, or convert to new AP band.

The doctors office says that many people that were having problems with the old band are doing better with this new one. But I would like confirmation from someone that has had this done.

**Good grief** I just wish this thing would have worked.

I have tried to get the sleeve approved. Went all the way to the "top" so to speak, but after the 5th denial letter we put in for the RNY. TWO DAYS later it was approved. Then, I found about this new AP band. Called the Insurance company and it will be approved. "Device failure" does fall under my coverage.

As for the sleeve, I have checked into self pay and the MX doctor that my friends have used now does a two step procedure. He will take out the band $5000.00, four months later, he will do the sleeve $11,000.00... plus travel for both procedures.

Self pay in TX is around the same... Even if BC/BS will pay for the lapband removal part of it... they want the other in cash up front.

So my choices are RNY, Band Removal Only, or convert to new AP band.

The doctors office says that many people that were having problems with the old band are doing better with this new one. But I would like confirmation from someone that has had this done.

**Good grief** I just wish this thing would have worked.

The $5K and $11K are not the going rates in MX. Dr. Aceves can remove the band and do the sleeve in one procedure (like he did for me) as that is the Standard of Care in the US and MX. I was at goal when I got my sleeve.

If you do not have a slip or erosion there is no reason why you can't remove the band and revise to a sleeve in one procedure. It's safer for you because less OR time, one surgery total, etc. My doc charges $12,500 for the entire revision. Or if you get your band removed under insurance in the US then you have to wait three months for a 2nd surgery and then it's $9500 for a sleeve.

For this kind of surgery in the US or MX you really seriously have to go to a revision surgeon. You can't go to just anyone. After you have had a band your risk for leaks, infection, and bleeds increases x3. It's due to the scarring and adhesions from banding.