Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On the other hand, I personally find good carbs like wholegrain bread have the air and bulk in them to really FILL my stomach and provide that satiety which lasts. To get full on Protein can take me 300 calories, to get full on a combo of wholegrain bread, vegetables and Protein about 150 calories. Protein is energy and fat dense generally, so when you dont have the restriction to get full on a small amount, focussing on it can REALLY hamper your weight loss - I mean 2 eggs for Breakfast is one thing but if you're needing 3 or 4, you're starting to have to worry about the saturated fat and calories, when one piece of dry wholegrain toast with one poached egg would do the trick far easier.

I guess it comes down to if you havent got that really good restriction yet, resort to the old dieter's trick of volume foods - high Water and air content - bread, fruit and vegetables because you will have to eat way too much chicken, meat, eggs or cheese to fill yourself.

I always have and always will include high quality wholegrain carbs as a part of my meal and I lost weight whilst not exactly super fast, very steadily and easily.

I'm not talking about making your entire meal carbs mind you becuase that will hit your bloodstream fast and not last, I mean making the overall digestibility of the meal steadier with protein. And def. no white crap bread, donuts etc.

But that's easy for me to say because we dont do protein first here in australia and we dont in general believe in cutting out carbs entirely. So I'm not breaking any "rules" from my point of view, but I know your docs tell you different.

Edited by Jachut

Good things better come to those who wait! It really isn't about the money, but to have gone through such a major surgery and not having the results that I want is really depressing. And every time someone asks, how much have you lost? How is it going? No one really understands when I talk about how I have no restriction. They get this blank stare...and I am just sure that they are thinking that I'm just doing something wrong!

Good things better come to those who wait! It really isn't about the money, but to have gone through such a major surgery and not having the results that I want is really depressing. And every time someone asks, how much have you lost? How is it going? No one really understands when I talk about how I have no restriction. They get this blank stare...and I am just sure that they are thinking that I'm just doing something wrong!

I read this thread and I dont think anyone else has asked (if you answered this already sorry :thumbup:

But why do you only have 2.5ccs in your band? I am 3 months out and getting ready to go back for my 4th fill. You for sure dont have restriction right now, so you are just relying on will power. My doc covered everything for 90 days, so you can bet after my first fill and I didnt get restriction, I called and got another appt. I went in for 3 fills in about 4 weeks. It was free and my doctor agreed that I didnt have restriction.

I will be interested to hear what your doc says. Dont be too down yet. Your band just isnt living up to its full potential yet bc it not very full!

Amy

I too am surprised at the small amount in your band. I've had 4 fills and am now at 6.5 ccs. I do feel restriction at this point. As we loose weight we also loose fat around the stomach. You may need additional fills.

Meeting with a nutritionist or attending local support group meetings may also assist you. My doctor's office recently started a monthly bariatric meal planning class. These first two classes have been great. It is a challenge to live with the band and to meet our weight loss goals. I need to remind myself when I'm tempted to reach for yummy slider food. One other thing I've been doing is tracking my food on a website, the daily plate. Its great to see a visual representation of my Protein to carb to fat grams on a daily basis. Even if I eat a 'less than ideal' food item I track it on the website. The accountability - to myself - is helping me stay on track. It is also helping me realize how long food is staying in my stomach. If I'm hungry one hour after eating I can revisit what I ate - and also review if I am truly hungry or if I want to eat just because.

The doctor is there to serve you his patient -regardless of self-pay or insurance assisted pay. Be persistent with him and with his staff about addressing your questions.

Best wishes to you

I read this thread and I dont think anyone else has asked (if you answered this already sorry :thumbup:

But why do you only have 2.5ccs in your band?

i'm going to guess her small fill level is due to her dr not able to access her port.???. travelsnorkle can respond - but that would be my guess.

l would say Congrats on losing what you have so far....also though, l would keep going for fills until you reach a point that you are feeling full...Sounds to be like you need another fill..You have very little in your band and you can still eat large portions..Good Luck...stand up for yourself.....

Actually, I am at 2.6cc now. He tried filling it to 3 at my last fill (the one under the xray that worked) and I couldn't get the Water down, so instead of taking out a bit, he took me down to 2.6cc. It gave me no restriction. I'm gonna tell him to fill 'er up at the next one though! haha