Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous about exercise...

So I am on my feet 12 hours a day 5 days a week. On my feet, I mean my butt doesn't hit a chair until I get off work. 8am to 8pm and sometimes alittle later. I have two little children at home and no lunch. Literally, my lunch consists of eating a veggie delight from subway inbetween rooming patients and doing sutures. I also work from 6pm to 9am Saturday night into Sunday morning, but that's home care for an elderly lady so it's pretty simple. No physical activity. I don't know where to fit in exercise. I'm nervous that I truly will not have time to fit it in. I refuse to take my time away from my children because I have so little of it as it is. Any suggestions?

Can you work them into the exercise? Maybe do Wii Fit just to get something in? Or walking together? Or get an exercise machine that you can use with the kids in the room? The band may not always work, but exercise always helps!

That would be my suggestion too - get a treadmill or something so you dont have to leave home. Increase family activity.

I take my kids to the park - our local one has a 400 metre boundary path. They play on the equipment - well the boys at 13 and 11 like to come, but I do it sometimes just with Eliza who's 6 - and I run 2 laps round the path to warm up, then I do a circuit - do pullups on the play equipment and tricep dips, run a circuit, put Eliza on my back and do step ups onto a bench, and squats (holding a live child for squat work is very hard!!!), run another lap, put my feet on the swing and do ab exercises, hamstring work by using the swing like a fitball, etc, run another lap, do planks etc on a towell on the ground, piggyback eliza while doing a staggering run round the perimeter again, then a bit of fun, push her on the swing, run round to the other side and push from the other direction, back and forth with each swing.

This is a REALLY hard workout, it gets my heart rate up to like 180, me red faced and sweating, its definitely personal trainer quality stuff, not some lame thing I made up round the kids. Its entirely possible to get this sort of workout in with your kids present, you jsut have to be creative and have the desire to do it.

That's OK in summer, bit harder if its wet or freezing as you dont want to be lying on the ground outside then. So I just adapt!

Lol, the point though isnt to make someone feel bad coz they dont workout quite at that level. I've been at this a few years now.

Its more that you can get in quality workouts that involve your kids.

I take my daughter biking.