Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thoughts after having the Band for a year

My partner and I have had our bands for a over year now. It is an interesting journey. Here are a few things we have learned:

1. You still have an eating problem. I still crave sugar and now it's easier to eat it than regular food!

2. Keeping the weight off is much easier and probably is the best reason for me to have the band.

3. You still have to diet hard but the weight stays off.

4. Right after you get the band, start your diet and keep dieting until you get to the weight you want. Do Not Start Eating Sugar and junk until you lose your weight. I was doing well and losing weight until I binged on sugar one weekend and it has been wicked hard to get back into dieting.

5. Feels great to step on the scale and have it be the same number as last week.

6. You go through a true grief process missing the food you used to be able to eat. Still want a big ole hamburger. We have both had lots of changes in how we see food-- it is very emotional. Food is no longer there to sooth me. It's very hard sometimes.

7. A big plate of food makes me almost gag now. I can't believe how much I used to eat and how much everyone else eats. No wonder we are an obese nation!

8. It's much cheaper to eat out. We just share an appetizer now. Order and drink your drink before the appetizer arrives!

9. Very glad I got the Band but still hoping I lose more but I'm happy I don't really worry that much about my weight anymore.

10. Gaining and losing, gaining and losing is a wicked destructive cycle.

11. Love smoothies now with Protein of course!

Good luck on your journey.

Sadie

i went on my jog/power walk last night and i thought to myself ....this isn't so bad!!!!!!!!!!! if i keep eating the way i am and exercising like i do....which also has been such a plus 4 my son...we really enjoy bike riding and talking on walks...he is only 6 and the best exercise partner i could ask 4...(full of energy....lol)...i can stay fit....i wont have to worry about my weight anymore...i'm okay...this was a really good decision...im still eating food that i enjoy...(i'm lucky i was born without a sweet tooth)...and im use to exercising now...i dont think the fact that i wont gain it back .... if i keep doing what im doing has hit me yet...i only lost 6 ounces in the past 2 weeks...but i have not gained a single ounce in 6 months.....wow!!!!!!!!...lol

Thanks so much for posting these thoughts. I have only had my band since January but have experienced many of the same issues. It's very helpful to read postings such as this one and realize that we are not alone in our struggles.

It will be a year for me the 22nd of this month and I totally agree with you about the sugar!

Easily my biggest challenge throughout this journey has been to stay on regular, healthy but hard to eat foods and not live on Cookies and chocolate. But staying on regular food is what makes the band work.

Its just so great not worrying about gaining though! Yes you have to work to lose but I find can go on holidays or it can be Christmas or whatever and I just no longer have that fear that 10lb will come to visit and not leave.

I am only three weeks out but grieving food in a big way.........also noticing how much food is put on plates at resterants and how much I use to be able to eat!! Now I am only eat a 1/4 of that even though I want more. It is a good thing but also a hard thing to get used to..............everyone else can eat and I can't. You sorta feel like an outsider sometimes.............grieving process I guess!!