Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extreme Pain with Fill

Hello,

Even while I write this note, I want to cry. I have the 10cc Realize band and it was placed on March 27, 2009. I went to have my first fill yesterday and OMG!!!! First of all the nurses kept reassuring me that it would not hurt a bit. Then another nurse came in and she could not find my port, so she kept pushing on my incision site and sticking the needle in and out of my stomach. I was literally in tears. Then she called the doctor who continued to do the same. He eventually put the needle in and moved the port around until they met up. :) I cried, and cried and cried. First of all I am 1 month post op and still very sore on my incision site. Second, OMG!!!! When I looked at my stomach later that night, there were 5 pokes where they attempted over and over again. I am still sore today, I still want to cry. He was supposed to give me 3 cc but he decided to give me 2 and 2 more in 2 weeks. Do I wanna go back? Im scared. And, today I ate a can of tuna and bread and crackers. Is the thing working? Im getting so discouraged about this band now. I am holding at 15 pds., but is this it? Is this all Im going to loose? Will it hurt the next time like it did this time? Am I supposed to be able to eat that much food after a fill? Somebody please help me.:thumbup:

Gosh, Jacquie! I am so sorry it was so terrible. By all means go back in two weeks BUT demand that they do the fill under fluoroscope because of the number of times they had to stick you this time and because the only way the doctor got the needle and your port to line up was to painfully manipulate your port and push it to where he wanted it to be. I promise, it isn't supposed to be painful. It really isn't! I've had 3 fills and felt nothing more than a little prick.

This was your first fill. The period between surgery and reaching some level of restriction is "bandster hell". You've probably seen the term on here in other threads. In the first few weeks after surgery, weight loss isn't even a goal! Healing is all that should be on your agenda. I know, you want it to start working IMMEDIATELY. I know, I did. But it will start working. You may need 3 or more fills after this one to get to your sweet spot, but know that every fill takes you closer, and increases your weight loss.

Again, I'm so sorry they were so terrible. I hope there were profuse apologies in the very least. They should feel like crap for hurting you that way.

I am sorry you are going through this. I have the same band and didn't get a fill until 6 weeks post op, and had no problems. Surgeon said to do a 'crunch' and wala, it was done.

I am concerned that your dr.s didn't put you on liquids or mushies post fill. I have to be on liquids for at least 24 hrs post fill and then mushies for the next 24 hrs.

I have also been told and have experienced that I don't feel restriction for a few days after, so it is likely you will feel tighter in a few days. It took me three fills, a month apart to get to my 'sweet spot'.

Good luck to you and I would not hesitate calling the surgeon to voice your concerns.

Some people do have trouble with port location. I expect this will be better in time, as you lose weight.

I had to get unfilled a bit one night and came home looking like a pin cushion. It is not pleasant BUT it does get better with time.

As for eating, I would do as your doctor advised. I am extremely sensitive to fills so I have to do a day or two of liquids and then a day or two of mushies to get back to normal. I do lose weight during this time so I don't complain.

Your incision will be healed more at your next fill so it may not be as uncomfortable. I go in now, he finds my port, pokes the needle in, I sit up and start drinking while he starts adjusting, and voila! We are done! It does get better.

Hang in there and look ahead to the thinner healthier you!

i know what you mean and no its not suppose to be painful. i remember back in january they tried to give me a fill tried so many times and moving the needle around in a circular motion all around your stomach. at the end my stomach looked like a pin cushion. what he ended up doing was giving me a bigger dose of pain meds to numb that area and worked pretty good. usually when this happens you might ask for an xray maybe your stitches popped out and you need to get a port revision that is what happened to me i actually had my stitches pop out due to my muscles growing and they popped out the stitches and the doctor couldnt get to my port easily.

i had surgery to fix that problem and now no issues at all went in to get a fill and was in and out. but i do understand what you mean

omg!!!!!!! that sounds horrible...i'm sorry u had to go through all that...my dr. fills me while i'm standing...i feel absolutely nothing...

i got my 5th fill yesterday...i didnt eat last night...and 4 Breakfast i had a banana and a yougurt....and the same for lunch...i like to test my fills out with mushies....to get a sense of my restriction....which i can tell is absolutely perfect again; dr. paya!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

Thank you all so much for the advice. I did liquids for 24 hours but that is all they told me to do. I have been feeling sick all day like I wanted to throw up. This is a different kind of experience. I am going to ask them next time for a local or a flouroscope like it was suggested. Thank you sooo much again. Keep me in your prayers. Yes, I am very anxious to get the weight off, I have to keep reminding myself that it takes time.

That sound like a bad deal. I have had 9 fills and not anything like that. The first fill he poked me 2 times and then we sent for the FLouro. Of course each time there was less fat on top of my port so it was easier to locate just doing a crunch with a pillow under my lower back. He asks each time if I wan thim to numb it before. Truthfully, He has filled some with and some without numbing, no different. Sometimes I have a tiny, tiny bruise and a little sore. Always do liquids two days(48 hrs) and two days mushies. The last fill I got which brought me up to 9 cc in a 10 cc band. I slowly got a little tighter every day for about 4 weeks. I was sliming almost everyday at least once a day. It takes time to adjust even being 15 months post -op. I am 10 lbs from goal. So probablyu no more fills for some time now. Jsut hard work now getting those last 10 lbs off, more extra cardio.. good luck hang in there. Ask for the fill to be done under the FLOURO next time.

Ask them to numb you first. I am a huge needle phobe but I do ok because I make them numb me.