Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having problems and need some feedback!!!

Ok so I was banded on June 11th 2008, my starting weight was 260 and I am currently at 168. I am so happy with my weight loss but I have had a really hard time with the band. I had my first fill late July and it was like 2 cc's, then again I got another fill October (not for sure on dates?) and it was another 2 cc's. I got an unfill in December due to throwing up too much and she took out like 1 1/2 she said. So since then I have had this horrible pain and it isn't everyday but it is like weeks at a time and then goes away. It happens usually at night after I eat, and it is a stabbing pain in my left side radiates up my shoulder and into my back, lasts about 30 minutes then it is gone??? Has anyone had this before? Also I throw up all the time??? I eat slow and eat what I am supposed to but I feel like I am basically anorexic I can't eat. I have been living on ice cream and coffee? ? I am getting frustrated has anyone had these problems???

Ok so I was banded on June 11th 2008, my starting weight was 260 and I am currently at 168. I am so happy with my weight loss but I have had a really hard time with the band. I had my first fill late July and it was like 2 cc's, then again I got another fill October (not for sure on dates?) and it was another 2 cc's. I got an unfill in December due to throwing up too much and she took out like 1 1/2 she said. So since then I have had this horrible pain and it isn't everyday but it is like weeks at a time and then goes away. It happens usually at night after I eat, and it is a stabbing pain in my left side radiates up my shoulder and into my back, lasts about 30 minutes then it is gone??? Has anyone had this before? Also I throw up all the time??? I eat slow and eat what I am supposed to but I feel like I am basically anorexic I can't eat. I have been living on ice cream and coffee?? I am getting frustrated has anyone had these problems???

oh my goodness....i just replied to ur other thread...but i know see ur problem.....have u tried going to a major hospital in AZ and visiting their bariatrics division or something....im assuming if its a major hospital...they wont deny u of assistance regardless if they did ur surgery or not.......u definitely need to take action asap!! sounds like u been dealing with the pain for almost 5 mnths now.

Sounds like gall bladder pain to me too. Losing a lot of weight can cause gall stones to form more rapidly than normal. Have it checked out. A severe attack will leave you vomiting a lot and that isn't good for your band!

Gall bladder is on the right, not the left. You definitely should ask your doc...in fact I'm shocked you haven't already! The band is for weight loss, not suffering and torture. Plus you may have an issue that needs to be treated; you could be hurting yourself beyond repair. For example, GERD left untreated can erode your esophagus. Call your doc tomorrow...if not lap band, then your primary.

Correct gall bladder is on the right, but some people have pains in weird places. Wont hurt to check it out, but from what you are saying it sounds like you could be having gas pains too... have you tried gas x or something like it? Also, ice cream and coffee are both bad for different reasons, one sugar one acid. Both are not good for your stomach. Definately talk to your doctor, they need to rule out any serious issue and then can help you figure out what is causing it. Good luck.

Your gall bladder pain can be on the left, right or middle. Trust me, I have been having attacks for two years and in the midst of recovering from one now (bad attack Saturday, the pain still has not gone away... had an u/s yesterday and the techs told me NOTHING but I suspect a stone is lodged in there currently given the fact I've got stabbing pain directly thru my chest, midline but it "comes from" my back.)

Before I knew what gall bladder pain was, I thought it was gas, really bad gas. My pain can also be under my back shoulder blades, either of them. A hot shower beating on my back helps the pain, as well as pain pills :thumbup:

It doesn't matter what it is, it's serious IMO. I'm not going to argue about pain I feel. :blink: I believe the appendix is another organ that is on one side of your body and pain can present on either side. Besides, no offense to previous poster, people confuse their right and left sides all the time. :)

If you walk into an ER and complain about STABBING PAIN that happens AT NIGHT AFTER YOU EAT and then GOES AWAY and you are OVERWEIGHT.... they are going to check out your gall baldder. It might be something else, but again it doesn't matter, please get it checked out, pain is never a good sign!!! :sad:

I have had these pains too. Usually only after I eat certain foods though and I do not have my gall bladder anymore. It feels almost like some of the food gets stuck passing through. Gall Bladder pain does not subside within 30 minutes in my experience so I do not think that is your issue.

Thanks everyone for writing. I called my doctor in Oregon and they referred me to some more doctors. The clinic I talked to today said I would have to ay 1.000 up front to be seen and enroll in there weight loss program for one year, and that was if the doctor reviewed my case and decided to see me as it was case by case. This is the third doctor and I just don't have that kind of money, and she was a complete bitch about it!! I am so frustrated about this I went and seen a pcp and he said he wasn't a bariatric doctor and I need to see someone who specializing in lap band so frustrated!!! I am just doing liquids until I can see someone so I am not throwing up anymore. Haven't had that pain in like five days it comes and goes it is so odd!!!

My surgeon has me on a med, twice a day, for one year to keep me from developing gallstones! It's nasty, never dissolves in the Water, but I take it religiously! Wish your doc had started you on something like that too! Good luck ... get help asap!

I took gallstone meds at first my doctor said I only needed to take for 6 months. I am about tired of doctors right now. Called the last two in my area and they will not see me advised me to fly home for an appointment!! I have been feeling ok. Only doing liquids and mushys to kinda heal my body after throwing up 2 nights ago. I am trying to drink lots of fluids and adding Protein Shakes and such. I will keep paying someone will see me!!