Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I am looking into lap band surgery with Dr. Bauman in Concord. I know a few of you had surgery with him on this NC forum. I just wanted to say a quick hi.

I know I will have ton's of questions. The first struggle is with the finances of the pre-op phase. I had my original appointment in August and I decided I needed some more time. I have rescheduled for October. I am hoping to have the surgery at the end of this year. I do have 100% insurance coverage through my employer, but it's the inital money for the consult and the nutritionist that is freaking me out. I keep thinking if I want until 2006 I will have flexspending money, but if I do it now, I will reap the rewards of this sooner.

I'm just confused as to where my priorities are. I will definitly have the surgery done, I'm just unsure when. Could anyone share their stories with me. I am just a bit scared if it's ok to say that. The surgery doesn't scare me, it's the fill's and the unknown outcomes.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Welcome, I'm in the process of getting a surgery date now. Basically waiting for insurance approval and a date. I'm with Dr. Vollinger. I think Bondgirl went with Dr. Bauman though and she could give you more surgeon specific info. You should check out some of the other NC threads and come to some of our get togethers. They are fun. :D

Melissa

Hi, Welcome,

I have my date for November 9th. My original date was for Sept 19th but Dr.V had an emergency and now I'm moved to November. :D Oh well it's all for the best. From day one when I was thinking of doing this I thought November would be a perfect time for me. Then I got the Sept date and was ready for that. There really is no rush for this. Preparing your self mentally and physically before hand can only help you more in the long run. This is all a process. It is also a grieving process. So take it slow. If you need a counselor, I have a great one in the Weddington area. She has had WLS and truly understands the fears and excitements of this whole process.

As for me and this process, the most important I can tell you that has helped me through this process is giving it to God. He knows the right time for you. TRY, to let things go and trust him for the money, dates and procedure if you can. I have, every once in a while I take control again, and thats when the fears and doubts enter my mind.

Good luck, I hope you make it to our next get together on the 19th and then on the 24th.

Please feel free to contact me if you'd like more info on my counselor.

OH no! NOVEMBER....crud it might be january or Feb for me. I'm so sick of my life being on hold. I'm trying not to volunteer for stuff in the fall because I don't know when surgery will be. URGH. Okay done venting.

Congrats Diane on getting a new date. Know you are bummed about the September date, be will all hang with you to the new date and beyond. :D

Melissa

Thanks for all the responses ladies. I had actually given up on having the whole wls thing because 1, it's the money, and 2 i really want the right provider. I had entered all the infor for dr bauman and I never heard back. I had a bad experience with one practritioner in Charlotte whose just starting up. I don't have alot of money to spend on visits and things. My husband is just getting back to work after being out of the work force for about 18 months. So many things have happened. I realize that it's time to put me first.

However, I struggle with putting me first. I have a 4 year old and him. Realistically I need to do this, because of the co-morbidities and risks. My insurance is United Health Care and it pays 100% after the $100 copay. I do know they do not cover the nutritional program. This is where it leaves me short, this is $500.00 They do everything they can to accomodate their patients financially. I struggle with putting myself first though. Like is it ok to spend this money for myself. The weird thing is I'm not "sick" like when you have an infection or something so it seems weird to have surgery and not need to remove something.

I good in one respect I already had my gallbladder taken out. I have the stamp of approval from my PCP and she's totally supportive. You are right though about god.

I just need to turn this over and stop worrying about it. I am a worry wart by nature.

My husband is 100% behind me having this surgery. Everything is a go except I'm holding myself back. Why? I just don't know.

Sorry to write so much but I need all the support I can get. I have a few close people who are supportive of my and the others' My sister, is totally against it. I haven't even told her that I'm having it done. I figure I'll keep it to myself. I have discussed it at work and one sucessful patient of dr baumans at work is very supportive.

Where do you have your meetings at? I could really use some Charlotte friends. I spend alot of time with DH and daughter, since everyone I know has kids and they don't leave their kids on the weekends for any adult time.

Thanks for reading,

Jennifer

I have a 5 year old and 14 year old, both girls. And there are a couple more with little ones too. So anytime you just want to go hang out at mikey d's playground at the mall or something give a holler, you might get some of us willing to take you up on it. :D

Melissa

Thanks for the offer. My daughter just loves other children. She's going to be five in December. She's so affectionate and loving. Today we went to concord mills,

I wasn't in a shopping mood but we spend alot of time in build a bear. She needs a few sleeved shirts and shorts for school, since we bought tanks and spaghetti straps this summer instead of dress code clothes. I didn't think she'd go back to school this year due to my husbands unemployment. Things worked out weird.

Ah concord mills, my kids favorite mall. Well the 14 year olds favorite mall. The 5 year old is torn between concord mills and southpark mall. Southpark has a libbylou....which Karah is a HUGE fan of. I think we are meeting twice in September...once with other baratric patients at presby...(all types of baratric patients there) and then once with out smaller lap band group. We are meeting at a resturant for lunch on one of the Saturdays in September (its all in the other thread). We had alot of fun at the last one.

Melissa

Welcome to the board Jennifer....I am so glad you joined us. Melissa is right, Bondgirl (Angie) went with Dr. Bauman. I did talk to one of his patients and he does make you pay for things up front and then file with the insurance. I have United Healthcare also, and they have been great.....I went with Dr. V and I haven't one once of problems with the insurance. I think Dr. B wants you to see his nutritionist so I am not sure of the rate. The one that I saw through the center was 150.00. I did file it with UHC and got a little back not much. But it has been well worth it. Angie will be able to answer all your questions about Dr. B and the rest of us will be happy to answer lap band questions in general.

Again welcome and we would love for you to join us in Sept when we meet either one would be great....check out the thread "I had fun" here under NC and it will give the details and I know as the date gets closer we will post a new thread so anyone that wants to join us can.

Hello again,

Thanks for welcoming me to the board. I am going to pay for Dr Bauman up front even though the fee's have me stressed. I haven't made peace with my decision yet.

I go Oct 10th and I will let him schedule and follow through for me. I doubt my insurance will deny the claim because they pay 100% and it's an employee benefit my company offers. This is one of the main reasons why I haven't looked for a new job. I need a new challenge though. I have been in this limbo state for much of this challenege, I do want and need to lose the weight. I keep wavering on the money.

I have dh support 100% so it's important to him too.

I will try to make one of the meetings, I cannot promise though, since I work M-F 8:30-5 and it exhausts me sometimes. i will let you know closer to the date, I do appreciate the invite.

I do have a question, how big does the band wind up being after iit's inserted and filled? A few centemeters? I'm just curious because I read that when you eat it fills up in the pouch and you have to wait for it to pass. I'm just curious.

Can you eat normal foods too? I would figure it's just a few bites. One other thing that concerns me is the fills. How frequently do you have to have them? Do you feel the band in place or do you forget about it after a while. I guess I have alot of questions.

Jen

Hi Gang,

I've learned to go with the flow, hang in there Melissa you'll be sooner than you think.

All is good. I'm ok with it. We booked a 9 day cruise in mid October to help the days go by!

I've never heard of Timothy Kirwada, where is he from?

Welcome Jen! Ooooo, yes, lots of questions!! You came to the right place. I was banded in April and I forget about the band...well, let's say I forget about it being inside me...it doesn't feel like extra, it feels like a part of me. It did take a while to feel that way and one day I realized that it's just there. My port used to be a little freaky (I can feel mine when I press and if you come to the lunch, I'll let you press it and feel it. Starr and Dianne did. It's on my left side around my waist area so I don't mind ;)) but now it's just my port. No biggie.

I am self-pay. I went to MX for my surgery. You are very fortunate to have your insurance coverage. $500 bucks is a bargain to me!!

I eat normal food, I just take smaller bites and chew alot. I get full faster when I don't drink with meals and when I eat hard protiens first (ie: chicken). sometimes I do have to wait for food to pass if it gets kind of stuck...like not well-chewed enough. But well chewed food tends to stay up top and make you feel full as it dribbles down through the band, like a funnel.

I have the 9.75/4cc Inamed Band. That means it's 9.75 centimeters around and has a 4cc saline capacity inside the band. There are several models and sizes. Your doc picks the right one for you during surgery. It depends on your anatomy. At 5 months post-surgery, I have had one fill. But everyone is different on the fills. Some have had 5-6 at 5 months. It depends on your band size and your restriction and the amount of saline your doc puts in each time.

I experience no malabsorbtion, no dumping, no nothing but changed eating habits and weight loss. I love it so far. And, of course, the more weight I lose the better!

How much are you wanting to lose?

Oh, and I have a DD(6) and a DS(2). Anyhow, welcome!! Get those questions answered!

You are so lucky to have found this site prior to surgery. Dr. V told me about it just 2 weeks before my surgery so I had most of my questions answer by then but it's beena great support since then. I love this place...

Ok I agree with Kathy (the best me) I don't know it's there. It's part of me, now that I have lost close to 50 pounds I can really feel the port when I try to. Otherwise I wouldn't know it's there. You have CHEW CHEW CHEW...and the meat can't be dry you will have problems with things getting stuck. I can eat pretty much anything. I haven't really had any problems, if I do I normally try it again later and it's ok. I eat about 1/2 of what I use to now that I am a few months post op. I do feel up on 3-4 oz of protien w/ a fruit or veggie with each meal. When we go out...I almost always can make 2 meals out of it.

I have 4cc band meaning it can hold 4cc's of saline, not sure how long it is. I am filled to 2cc's now and think I need a little more. That is just me, I think I could do better with a little tighter fill.

Hope this helps some...please keep asking away we are here to answer what we can and always more then happy to share our experience.

Thanks for the warm welcome and inviting me to the support groups. I look forward to having a support group available. I honestly didn't know this website existed. I have been on obesityhelp.com.

I am trying to gear myself up mentall for the surgery. I got Oct 10th. I am nervous.

I do not think that I will be denied. I hope the surgical approval goes through quickly at UHC. My insurance is excellent - it will cost about $800 or so out of pocket, but it's worth it. Yes, self pay would not be an option. We are habitually broke, dh is just beginning work again after a long hiatus...

I hope to launch this new life and enjoy being skinny. A coworker did say to me that some of the fellow workers who had the surgrey are not happy. I'm having surgery for my health, my happiness will come second. I just want to get things moving, fast....

I hope everyone has a great weekend. I hope to relax this week for a change.

Welcome!

It may be that the folks that aren't happy were expecting some sort of miracle or magic to occur so the fat would fall off with no effort and no pain - but that is not reality.

I hope that we are happy with the surgery - but on the other hand, I can't say that I am truly happy right now - so I guess if I am not happy after the band, I will just be not happy in a more healthy way.

Good luck on the insurance. I am waiting for approval on that, too.

:]