Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Howdy! I just got a June 8th date for my surgery and I am so excited. :ohmy: I would like to hear from those who have been banded and then went on vacation. I am going to Florida on August 8 for a week. I would love any advice!

Howdy! I just got a June 8th date for my surgery and I am so excited. :ohmy: I would like to hear from those who have been banded and then went on vacation. I am going to Florida on August 8 for a week. I would love any advice!

unfortunately i dont have any advice yet b/c im not yet banded, but i do travel alot usually every 90 days..b/c my hubby is in ohio for a lil bit... just north east'sh of cincy..but anyways i was wondering about travel and things like amusement parks....u know when ur on a rollercoaster.....i wonder if i will be able to still enjoy those and that the seatbelt wont mess up my port or something....I would also like to meet banded people in ohio preferrably the cincy or columbus area that could tell me of band doc's just incase of an emergency occurs while im out there on visits.

I have been banded since Sept 18th...I just got back from Panama City Beach FL. You should be fine, but the only advise I will give is eat slow, and realize you wont be able to eat the portions you are used to. If not, you will be running to the bathroom to throw up! Good luck!

I wad banded on February 10, got my first fill March 10, and left for an 8 day cruise on March 15. I went on a zip line in Honduras!!! I hiked some mayan ruins in Belize, I went to a party in Cozumel and I went snorkeling in Grand Cayman. Plus all the activities on board (I go on a cruise every year with a group of about 500 people and we have private events on board alot). I should say that this annual cruise is a fund raiser for breast cancer research put on by the Atlanta Parrot Head Club (I am a member and former Board member) and I think we put on an excellent party! But the bottom line is just over a month out I did some strenuous things, a lot of fun things, and I had a fantastic vacation. So, get ready to have a ball!

I was banded two and a half years ago and have traveled and vacationed frequently during that time. I have never had an issue with flying causing tightness in my band, or issues with metal detectors in the airports. I have done the Disney thing several times.... rode everything without incident. Many a journey out of the country without a problem as well. In fact everything has improved travel wise since being banded!

Thank you all so very much for your words of wisdom! I am so looking forward this time to swimming with the manatees and not being mistaken for one. :thumbup:

I wad banded on February 10, got my first fill March 10, and left for an 8 day cruise on March 15. I went on a zip line in Honduras!!! I hiked some mayan ruins in Belize, I went to a party in Cozumel and I went snorkeling in Grand Cayman. Plus all the activities on board (I go on a cruise every year with a group of about 500 people and we have private events on board alot). I should say that this annual cruise is a fund raiser for breast cancer research put on by the Atlanta Parrot Head Club (I am a member and former Board member) and I think we put on an excellent party! But the bottom line is just over a month out I did some strenuous things, a lot of fun things, and I had a fantastic vacation. So, get ready to have a ball!

This sounds like a fabulous vacation :thumbup: I'm traveling out of the country in July and am looking forward to actually fitting in the airline seat without overflowing to the person sitting next to me.

I was banded on January 20, and travelled to St. Louis on April 2 for 5 days (women's final four). The main advice that I would give you from my experience: bring turkey slices and cheese/crackers, and crystal light flavor packs or something to eat in the airport or on the plane - liquids can't be more than 3 oz, so Protein shakes got packed in my checked bag. I was delayed going and coming home - 8 hours in one place and 2.5 in another, and there was little if anything that I could have bought to eat at the airport that would have been "good."

- Ask to be sure your hotel room has a refrigerator (and you have access to a microwave somewhere, mine was in the Breakfast area). So, you can make an eat-out meal last for a 2nd or 3rd meal (or less if you have kids/spouse to finish it).

- Ask what the hotel offers if it is free Breakfast - the Hampton Inn had eggs, but they were the flat rubbery looks like an egg kind, and most everything else was bread/danish/bagels...but they did have yogurt and Cereal (no skim milk though) available, but it was tempting so I took the Cereal up to my room to eat.

- if you are attending any special events/concerts or "in arena" be sure you pay attention to their security lists. I didn't think of this until the week before I travelled, and needed to get special permission from guest services at the Arena to bring in my own food - I brought Atkins Protein drinks (they would not allow any glass or cans), and the gerber baby bowls that have covers for the deli, cottage cheese, and whatever else you want. They were GREAT once I got there, because it was hard to go past the kettle corn, fresh roasted nuts, pizza and other things that smelled YUMMY, and this meant I could stay in the arena itself, and just buy a bottle of Water as needed.

- I went to the grocery store the first day to buy what I needed, so I had incentive not to be tempted to buy other meals/snacks (I'd already paid for the ones in the room, and had the tools to carry them with me).

Good luck and ENJOY!

Nancy

I should add that while I had done well, I did have a Waffle House breakfast one day, and ate more than I usually do at home for other meals, but while scared to step on the scale when getting home, I was psyched to learn that I didn't gain! I was so afraid I had, though knew all the walking and stair climbing (my seats were up steep stairs in the arena) I hoped the exercise off-set my weak points.

Parrothead - I went on that same cruise last year and had a BLAST!

We spend most of the summer camping, hiking, swimming, SCUBA diving, etc. I am getting banded this Monday, and I have a full weekend planned for Memorial Day weekend. Not sure how it will go yet, but I'll update you at the end of the month :thumbup:

I'm waiting to here the results from our voting to know where we're going next year. I have a blast on every cruise, but this one was a very good mix of ports. I'm going to Destin for Memorial Day weekend. Beach and pool time, fresh seafood. Who could ask for more? :)

You'll be fine by Memorial Day .. other than maybe not being back to all regular food. But that's nothing more than a small speed bump in the scheme of things. What I've discovered is that food is no longer the focus. I used to get up and fix breakfast and then immediately start wondering what I would have for lunch. Eat lunch, and then start planning ahead for what to choose for dinner. Now, I eat because I need to and then get on with the fun stuff. Let us know how you do Monday!

I was banded two and a half years ago and have traveled and vacationed frequently during that time. I have never had an issue with flying causing tightness in my band, or issues with metal detectors in the airports. I have done the Disney thing several times.... rode everything without incident. Many a journey out of the country without a problem as well. In fact everything has improved travel wise since being banded!

thanks for the advice on the roller coasters and the metal detectors.....i travel alot and i was worried about having to show proof that i have the lapband when i go through security clearance at the airport!! lol