Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Single incision vs multiple surgery "filled vs regular Lap-band"

Hi, I am scheduled for surgery Friday morning. Just got a call that I was moved up a few hr which is fine but also that due to equippment problem instead of a "Filled Lap-band" Single incesion they were going to do a regular Lap-band with 3 small incesions and one larger.

The woman said this is what she and her husban has and that the single incesion actualy hurts more than the 3 small and one large.

Untill yeasterday I was not sure what type band I was even getting as they gave me alot of information on the realise band but yeasterday they gave me the actual post op package for the Lap-band.

Seems I should have asked more questions but the two bands seem quite similuar. I am not sure what this woman who just does the appoinments meant by Filled vs regular as I do not see anything on line about filled vs regular lap-band as the lapband seems to have some filling anyway?

Any comments????? Think I need to call and try to talk with the nurse.

Going 3 small and 1 large incisions won't be too bad. I had it done with 4 small and 1 large and other than the large incision, there was almost no pain at all for the small ones. Small bandaids covered them and it was no big deal.

As far as filled or regular I can only guess that it might be the difference in whether it is inserted with Fluid or not. I know that the Realize band, which I have, is typically put in empty but the Allergan Lapband usually has a small fill already inside. Perhaps they are talking about two different brands of band but I am not sure.

Functionally the Realize and Lap Band brands work the same, just different manufacturers. Filled vs. unfilled? I never heard that. Some doctors will put a couple of ccs of saline in bands when them place them but most don't so far as I've heard from other patients on this forum and others. I have the Lap Band brand band, and my doctor tested it by filling it completely and then draining it before he placed it. In actuality, that left .6cc of saline in the band, but that is so negligible as to make no difference at all starting out. I would consider calling the doc's office and asking about the filled vs. unfilled. But as for 1 incison versus the other, I can see where 1 bigger incision could hurt more because they doctor will have to do everything through that one spot and pull and tug more as a result. I have 1 2" incision, 2 1" incisions and 2 "poke holes". Surgery on Tuesday and back to work on Friday. No pain, took no pain meds.

I'd guess Heather's right, that's what she's talking about - a small fill at the time of surgery.

Dont worry about the incisions. Its mainly the big one that's sore anyway, and you'll still have that, as for the others, well I cant even find mine 3 and a half years down the track. The scars from the small ones disappear entirely.

Thanks all, I called the Dr. Office and they explained that there is a problem with the Hospital equipment needed for the single incesion. I asked too about the Lap Band vs realise. Told them I was not even sure which I was suppose to get as they have given me so much stuff on the Realise band. (That is Marketing for you) She explained that they give them lots of stuff, tote bags etc so they use them. I could have the Realise ban if I wanted. I asked what the Dr. Prefers and at this time she said he prefers the Lap-band as the one he uses is actually newer technology that the current realise band that is on the market. Seems they are constantly improving these thing. So tonight is my last day of Food! I was never put on a liquid diet, but they said that the day befor they prefer I eat a liquid type diet, Soup, etc. he does not want to find a big cheese burger sitting in my stomic when he goes in there.

I am kind of getting excited to get this over with. My Wife has told a number of people hoping they would say DONT DO IT. But most of her friends are involved in the health care. work in Dr offices, Nurses, etc. They all said that I should do it because they know the troble older people who are in the Hospital have to go through! Well comming down to the wire now.

Thanks to all

Ross