Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I live in Northern Arizona. I have made it to a seminar, and have decided on getting surgery, just not sure which one or where yet. I am leaning more towards Lap Band, but have been considering the Sleeve also. I have been hearing horror stories about Lap Band, but also have heard some really good things. With the Sleeve it seems that after surgery there is less restriction, less hunger, and fewer complications, but I guess it depends on who you talk to. which is why I am glad I found this site, it will be nice to get to talk to some people who have had this done.

The other decision I am torn on is where to get it done. In Mexico it is so much cheaper, but my husband has some concerns about my safety as far as getting it done in Mexico. Anyone have any experience with this? Is just as safe?

Hi.

This is my first time doing this and I admit I feel a little odd. I am considering lap band surgery. I am a 42 year old with about a hundred pounds to lose. I have been lucky so far with my health. I am not diabetic and don't have heart disease (yet) I do however have high blood pressure sleep apnea and depression all related to my weight. I have found a doctor, have an appointment for the psychiatrist and nutrionist but I have to admit, I am scared to death. Scared it wont work, scared I wont live to raise my kids if I don't make it thru the surgery. I could really use some good advice from you who have been here. I have spent countless hours on the internet researching and feel I am more than ready but I am scared.:ohmy:

Michelle, I can't offer any suggestions on Mexico but there are plenty of people on here who have gone to Mexico and had wonderful experiences. I defer to them and their experience. As for being fearful, here's my take.

horror stories about Lap Band There are thousands upon thousands of people who never, ever go to any internet forum and post their comments and stories. People who have bad experiences are often the FIRST ones to find a place to vent. I've read a lot of stuff but no "horror" stories. Yes, some stories of complications (a few who have had their bands slip; a few ports getting flipped) but nothing horrific. The risk of complications with lap band is statistically 0.1%; with bypass it is .10%. That's a big difference.

Mechelle voiced a very common concern: Scared it wont work. Most of us have had that fear. After alll, just how many diets have we been on where we didn't lose and gave up or lost a lot of pounds and then "fell off the wagon" and gained it all back with a few extra for good measure? I will tell you that I personally haven't been able to lose more than 30 pounds without falling off the wagon in quite a few years. But I'm down 52 and really haven't even thought about eating some of the crap I used to. Now, that doesn't mean I haven't eaten a little bit of birthday cake (a very little bit, just enough to get the taste) and I've snitched a few fries when I made them for my granddaughter who lives with me but I most definitely haven't gone crazy. This is a lifestyle that comes with enforcement. Your band, once you reach your sweet spot, will keep you from overeating. Yes, you will still have to make good choices, but you will have help.

There are bypass patients who have eaten around their bypass surgery and regained some if not all of their weight AND GOTTEN A LAP BAND AFTER.

You can eat around any surgery. "Slider foods" like ice cream and stuff has a lot of calories and can get you in a heap of trouble. But guess what? Same problem with other WLS. There is no magic in this. You have to be willing to make the lifestyle changes ... and if you choose the band, you will have a great tool. I can say that because I have the band. I can't say more than I have about bypass because I didn't have that; I've only done my research comparing the band (my choice) with GB. And I know next to nothing about the sleeve so I can't say anything definite about that.

After really doing some research, and thinking about things, I am definately going to get the Lap Band done. Still a little torn on where though.

I am really scarred also, worried it won't work, worried about the surgery, worried about complications, and worried about sagging skin, but I am definately ready to be healthy and thin, and I think that outweighs the fears.

I can totally relate to the fear and concern. I was banded a week ago on the 22nd and i was a mess right before but once it was done, I just feel so much better. I live in Phoenix and had mine done thru Dr. Terry Simpson who I highly recommend. I have lost 15 pounds since last week and am really stoked that i get to move to the mushy stage tomorrow. i have been blogging at Bella5425’s Blog. it will be the best decision you can make. i am 42 with all kinds of health issues at hand. I looked at it this way...there are always risks in major surgeries but on the other hand, if you don't do it you have a much bigger chance of dying early anyway. trust me, you will never ever regret it. my email is southernbella67@yahoo.com if anyone needs a lapband buddy :ohmy:

katie