Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oprah's weight loss surgery show

Did anyone happen to catch Oprah's show today with the segment on a woman who had an experimental brain surgery to regulate her appetite?

She had electric probes attached to her brain, while she was awake and then they were attached to some pacemaker-like devices in her chest where they could regulate it.

If you had a choice would you rather go through bariatric surgery or something like this? Is this WLS in our future. Will we all be revising to this one day? It seems to make sense but I doubt will be something available to us any time in the future but who knows. Nancy:confused:

You can read about it at her website Oprah.com - Live Your Best Life - Oprah.com

I saw a news show on the deep brain stimulation....is used to treat 'any' disorder or will be able to one day.

This weird neurological disease where the muscles cause bending and contorting - can be fixed with DBS.

Overeating, drug addiction, gambling- all fixed with DBS.

I'm all for it. I'm 129 pounds and would get this today if my doctor offered it. Even at 129 I am an overeater by nature.

I completely understand how you feel when I was down to 125lbs many, many, many years ago (each many represents 10 years) and the first time I was ever "thin" I could tell it was going to come back on and I had no way of stopping it back then. Hopefully the research in obesity will improve so we won't need to do such drastic things to ourselves to fix what isn't working properly. But until then we have no choice.

Deep-brain stimulation scares the poop out of me. I would have to have a terminal condition before I would consider it.

Deep-brain stimulation scares the poop out of me. I would have to have a terminal condition before I would consider it.

You took the words right out of my keyboard.

I agree -- I'd have to have something pretty serious before I'd let them put wires in my brain...one slip and well...that is what scares me about eye surgery too -- you only have 2 eyes and if the computer malfunctions well then what do you do? At least with the sleeve there are other options. Scary stuff as fas as I'm concerned.

I don't want anyone touching my brain. It is the most beautiful part of me.

I'm afraid it would compromise the fit of my hat

So THAT's how you avoid all the covert government brainwashing!! I have to get me one o' them!!

Ok, I'll say what everyone is thinking.......You have to have a brain for Deep Brain Stimulation to work.:ohmy:

Of course, I would fall into that category as well.:thumbup:

Ok, I'll say what everyone is thinking.......You have to have a brain for Deep Brain Stimulation to work.:tt2:

Of course, I would fall into that category as well.:thumbup:

Yeah, the wire would be floating around in empty space for me!!

You know I heard about this, and I think the woman had previously tried other weight loss surgeries that had failed. As for going anywhere near the brain, I believe that is the last resort and only if you have cancer or something along those lines. But if it worked for her then I guess that's great for her then.

I'd consider the source on this one. Oprah's crazier than hell; she lost me forever when she said WLS was the easy way out and she only respected people who lost weight "the hard way" with diet and exercise. Maybe if she took the easy way out, she could keep the weight off!:thumbdown:

Don't you think that's the mindset of most people about WLS? I mean before they get it, of course. Afterwards reality sets in and you learn that the difficulty of changing your eating habits is still there. She has made the same assumption that many people do. I can't say that I blame her. Frankly I empathize with her about not being able to keep her weight off.

I'm no huge Oprah fan, but I'm always surprised at how vehemently negative some people feel about her. Maybe she just is one of those people who is able to capture the emotions of others really well and that partially accounts for her enormous success. She may have it wrong about WLS, but she sure has been able to get a whole lot of things right as far as her business is concerned.