Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded april 21st.

Banded on 21st in PhoenixAZ, lost 7.5 pounds. If anyone needs a fantastic Doctor Dr. Simpson is the best also just for anyone check out his website it has a wealth of information for everyone even if your using a different Dr. I download his podcasts to my ipod its awsome.He is one of Phoenix Top Doctors 2009. He is co-owner of the privtae hospital next to his office where I stayed it was great everything and the whole staff were the best. The only Dr. that teaches in the State and he has taught in many states. website is Dr. Simpson.net

Edited by Vinca

Hey Vinca, it's cool that you found a doc that you really "clicked" with. Since you recommend him so highly, maybe you should post your opinion of him under the "doctors and hospitals" section on the home page. It seems like more people read the subforums than the "intro" section.

Hi there, hey by any chance are you in dental field ? Just noticed the "flouride dope" thing.

Edited by Vinca

Hi there, hey by any chance are you in dental field ? Just noticed the "flouride dope" thing.

No. There was this one poster on here that could barely type legibly. I think he was a bit of a troll. Long story short, he tried to insult me by calling me "flouride dope"......yeah, it's as weird as it sounds!

Hi Vinca, I just found your post. I have a consult with Dr. S on Thursday morning. Do you mind my asking if you were self-pay and how long the process took from the consult to the surgery? I'm excited!

Hi Marcy, well i'm not selfpay, my insurance covered everything. Really the time til surgery depends on you nd the insurance or if you're self pay then it's up to when you want to do it really, of course as long as you're a good candidate. I have been procrastinating for at least a year, I had a patient at work who was having it done and she gave me her Doctors name and number I had a consult and I di'nt get a good feeling, the visit was very rushed and he just seemed very tired and just said he can do it and I asked what would happen after I lost the weight and he said he would remove the band. I was supposed to go to a seminar at Good Sam but when I called (after 2 months) they said he didnt work out of there anymore. Anyway, i got a referal from my Dr. and they gave me Dr. Simpson and I feel very lucky. I did a search here on this site for him and there was a couple of old thread from a couple yrs back and they said that he;s ok but he has a wierd sense of humor and that youll see him for the surgery and for a couple of fillings and then his staff will take over the fillings so the person changed to another Dr. Anyway, heres the scoop, you have to know that Dr. Simpson is an old fashioned Doctor, he's a bit quiet but he will ask if you have any questions and he will answer them. If you have any questions or concerns email him cause he always has his blackberry and he will answer your email. If its urgent he will answer it asap. I understand why he would have his nurses do fills, he does this surgery everyday. I know he does at least 6 or 7 a day just at Southwest Surgical and the nurses told me he works out of a couple of other hospitals. I had no idea they did so many, anywa they get you in quik providing that you are qualified, he has a couple of finance places if you're self pay. Also I read about this guys wife that had surgery with him and was sick in the hospital with complications, the more I am finding out is that when theres complications its usually due to the persons not following the rules. Once I got my letter of referal from my Physician for the insurance and faxed it to Dr. S on a Thursday they called me on Monday or Tuesday and said im approved and gave me some dated within three weeks. Everyone was supernice at the hospital and everyhting was pretty easy compared to other stories I hear. Just get undressed and into a gown, get vitals and he likes his bloodwork "hot off the press" as they told me, so they get that they have a lab there, then get you IV wheel you into the op rm and jump on a table and get a mask on , thats all I remember til I woke up and they gave me some warm blankets and hot tea, which I hear other people dont get, lol. The broth they serve is actually very good, everybody raves about it. Youll get Broth, Jello, Water, and crystal lite for all meals. Of course most people do go home same day so thats up to you or him. The only thing to remember is to walk as much as you can they want you to walk 10 min every hour. I shouldve walked more but I enjoyed my room, I did try though. As far as pain , its more soreness type, the gas is the worst thing , youll find that you get the pain under your ribs or up the shoulder(i didnt get the shoulder)the best thing is walk and burp instant relief.I think im talking too much here. I got bad gas pain under rib in car rides. Also he does a small fill while in surgery and so when I went in after a week he gave me an unfill. But after talking to people here they say the band is tightest in the morning you definitly notice this. And youll want to have a bunch of nice big pillows for sleeping, im still sleeping that way and i find it strange to sleep on my side still. My BMI is 43 and so he didnt require pre-op diet, and when I went to my week appt he said I could start some solids as I could. I tolerate solids fine. I thinks its crazy other Dr.s to have people on Clear Liquids and soft liquids for three or more weeks. I lost 7.5 in the week,, but he said if you lose any the first week its just a bonus. I need to get a scale I have no idea where im at. He does his first fill after 4 to 6 wks. Well let me know how it goes and goodluck. Sonya

Edited by Vinca

Wow! Thank you for all that great information! I have my first appt with Dr. Simpson tomorrow morning...yay! I don't want to wait another minute to finally get this weight off...I hope he can schedule me for surgery next week! Haha. I look forward to seeing your progress! :cool2:

You have given me so much information, thank you!!! I am having surgery in 18 days. How long did it take you to feel better after surgery? How do you feel now?

Hi Vinca! I've got a surgery date! I'm getting banded on May 19th...I never thought this day would come. I really liked Dr. Simpson...straight-forward but humorous too! Yipppppeeeeee!

:thumbup:Woo Hoo u go Marcy! I'm glad you liked him, he is just very softspoken and old fashioned, but he has a sense of humor. Did you tell him about me? Have you gone to his website Dr.Simpson.net , he has like 5 or 6 but it's the one with the apples, it has so much info, and also video of the hospital and I really liked his pod casts i loaded them on my ipod and theyre good, i cant wait for first fill cause I have no restriction and im eating too much i think. Well im happy for you , ill be looking out for you.