Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've got a date!!! :-)

hi vangel

Yes, I am going by myself. No one knows I am doing this, I put my family and friends through so much when I had the emergency surgery, I just couldnt have them worrying about me again or take more time from their jobs or school. I dont doubt they would be in favor of me having any more surgery either...so what they dont know wont hurt them. Let me know if everything gets lined up. Renee is my coordinator but she and Nina talk frequently. Nina takes care of my reservations. I was going to stay in SD overnight on Wed and meet the driver at the airport the next morning and go to Mexicali.

Hope everything works out. It would be great to have a friend along.

Ruthi

Is Renee new? I keep hearing about her but I know nothing about her from two surgeries.

We'll figure out a way for someone to be there for you. At the very least, I'll be there via phone for you!

I don't understand... what happened? I thought you would have surgery sooner. What is going on?

hi vangel

I was going to stay in SD overnight on Wed and meet the driver at the airport the next morning and go to Mexicali.

Hope everything works out. It would be great to have a friend along.

Ruthi

I will strive for the 12th -- hope you're already working on your passport - it takes time. DBF said we can just drive to Mexicali ... he's been there before .. I don't totally understand the airport/driver thing -- is it just a meeting place or do you fly somewhere? (Sorry if that's a stupid question).

I've asked Nina what I need to do to get the whole process started ... do you know? If so I'll start on it tonight!!!

Let's definitely keep in touch -- I'll "loan" DBF to you ... he would love a threesome ... ROFLOL ... :ohmy:

angel

You can get an expedited passport but it costs more. To explain. On March 13th (Friday) of course, I had to have emergency surgery to remove my lap band, there was some sort of stomach spasm and swelling that cut off circulation to part of my stomach and it became necrotic and had to be removed, thus a partial gastrectomy. Just another complication with the lap band that happens with about 1 in 500 thousand patients. Anyway, Dr Aceves said I had to wait 12 weeks because it wouldnt be safe until then. I am thinking of changing the date to the 5th of June as that is actually 12 weeks after my last surgery. I dont know if Renee is new but she is in Arizona and one of his nurse coordinators. Since I was alone on this trip I was going to let the driver take me to Mexicali since I dont know the city. I have been to Calexico a few times but no into Mexico. As far as the process, just have to fill out the paperwork and Nina sends you all the information you need. Have you filled out the paperwork on his website already. If you have questions, just call Nina, she will take the time to explain everything or call and ask for Renee's number, she is wonderful. I tried the financing too but got turned down and not sure why, I have good credit but bought a house about 8 months ago, that may have had some effect on my credit, who knows.

A threesome huh,??? sounds like we will be great friends and WE WILL KEEP IN TOUCH thanks to both you and wabbutt

Ruthi

Edited by ruthgrosvenorcox
not finished

Ruthie - I received an email from Nina this evening - she must be working late - and have filled out the forms. Guess I better get busy and see if I can get financing. I have my passport already -- we got them last year.

My DBF wanted me to ask anyone if they have ever been charged more than the quoted price once at the hospital.

I know you're in a hurry to get the surgery ... but I don't think I can get everything in order by the 5th of June ... I might be able to, but the 12th would give me another week ... can you wait another week to have company for the journey?

I will keep you posted ... just heard an official case of swine flu has hit the LV Valley and that a toddler died in Texas - first death in the US. Scary stuff.

Ruthie - I received an email from Nina this evening - she must be working late - and have filled out the forms. Guess I better get busy and see if I can get financing. I have my passport already -- we got them last year.

My DBF wanted me to ask anyone if they have ever been charged more than the quoted price once at the hospital.

Nina quoted the price and that's wnat it was. In fact, I was told that money would be returned to me if Dr. Aceves saw an erosion and I had to wait for the VSG... thankfully I did not. It would have been $6000 for the band removal in that case.

I know you're in a hurry to get the surgery ... but I don't think I can get everything in order by the 5th of June ... I might be able to, but the 12th would give me another week ... can you wait another week to have company for the journey?

I will keep you posted ... just heard an official case of swine flu has hit the LV Valley and that a toddler died in Texas - first death in the US. Scary stuff.

That toddler was not healthy to begin with. I'm an RN and this whole Swine flu thing is being sensationalized by the media. If you're healthy and use handwashing and stay away from sick people, you'll be fine.

Sure I can wait, the 12th is the scheduled date and would probably be better for me all together. Is financing being a problem for you also? I ended up being a self pay AGAIN. This is truly my last chance to be at a healthy weight. I will be totally in debt but I am worth it. I paid for my stupid lap band at the cost of 19K and now this at 12500. Geez, this has got to stop!

Sure I can wait, the 12th is the scheduled date and would probably be better for me all together. Is financing being a problem for you also? I ended up being a self pay AGAIN. This is truly my last chance to be at a healthy weight. I will be totally in debt but I am worth it. I paid for my stupid lap band at the cost of 19K and now this at 12500. Geez, this has got to stop!

Isn't it crazy? A revision to a sleeve (a more expensive surgery) is cheaper than your original band!

Yes, you are worth it. And being at goal makes it VERY worth it!

I've spend about $25K in surgeries and band problems. I do relate. But I had my band by Dr. A as well so it was cheaper than having it done in the US. At least that saved me about 50% or more.

wabbutt,

You are right and although we both went through alot with our bands, everything happens for a reason. I wish I knew then what I know now. I would have gone to a sleeve in the first place. I am soooo looking forward to the 12th of June. Right now I am trying to maintain the weight loss I had from the band. I have to keep that up for 6 weeks through 3 birthday parties and a graduation. I am going to need some major will power. As far as cost, at least I didnt have to pay for the emergency surgery when the band was removed. The VA Hospital did that one for free.

Ruthi

Ruthi

I just applied for financing - so I will wait and see what happens. It always scary because I had a bankruptcy 9 years ago due to my (now) ex-husband's gambling issues and even though I have purchased 3 new cars since then, bought a house and have a few credit cards, that is always the reason I am denied. I can't wait for 2010 when it will be OFF my credit report. I'll keep you posted on the financing issue.

Also, am waiting to hear from Nina as to my "eligibility" for surgery -- I don't think there was anything in that that should cause an issue ... and I told her I'd like the 12th and she thought it was very nice to want to keep you company. :(

Great and better yet, I told Renee about you and she penciled you in for the 12th even though you arent financed yet, she said they can always move your date. You should give her a call ...602-670-3498... she is totally in favor of us going through this together. She has some pull with the finance people too I think.

Ruthi

Ruth -

We'll I've got a date -- the 12th of June -- Dr. A approved me for surgery -- one hurdle over with

Tomorrow I will hopefully know about financing and then I can quit stressing and we can start planning our trip to Mexicali :-)

I will give you a call tomorrow and we can figure it all out!

I'm stoked and scared all at the same time.

Everything was great for me . I did have to wait a long time for Ernesto to pick me up at the Comfort Inn in San Diego. They told me to be in the lobby at 10:30 and he did not get there until noon. He had trouble finding the other patient at the San Diego airport. It was fine . they had a tv in the lobby and I called the office a couple of times to find out what the hold up was.

Everyone here is great . I am using Dr. Campos' computer at the moment. Most of the nurses speak English and are very helpful and friendly. Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos ask you over and over if you have any questions. They could not be more helpful.

The only complaint I had was they promised to call my daughter the minute I was out of surgery. She finally called the office and talked to Monica because nobody called her. I asked the minute I woke up if anyone had called her and they said yes. It was a couple of hours after that, when she finally called the office. I had told

her what time I would be in recovery and she waited a couple hours past that before she called. It kind of upset me that they told me they called her when they hadn't.

My other complaint is that my phone does not work here.

That is not their fault though. It worked the first day I got here and it said AT&T. then the next day it said

TelCel. I had called my cell carrier while I was in San Diego and they told me if it said telcel, it would cost

.99 per minute. I probably ran up a $100 phone bill while I was here, but Dr. Campos let me use his phone anytime I asked if I could use it.

The only other complaint I have is it's pretty boring cause I don't feel like I need to be in the hospital. I know I do, cause I just had surgery, but I don't feel sick.

It's pretty boring to lay around. I went for several walks outside, read, chatted with the nurses, and watched a little tv. There isn't much on cause 2 of the 3 English channels are the same and the rest are in Spanish.

Daisy - Take the time to learn Spanish? Immersion course perhaps? I don't do well with boredom either ... I'll have to be sure to bring my laptop and a book to read ... and plan on doing lots of walking.

When I had my surgery, there was one other case and he was a VSG also (not a revision). His mother was banded by Dr. A. one year ago and she was with him. They drove from CA and were allowed to leave right after the last leak test and removal of the drain.

I was told they would contact my sister when I was out of surgery... they did not. Clearly THIS is something they need to improve on. Beside this, I found nothing to complain about.

I was told they would contact my sister when I was out of surgery... they did not. Clearly THIS is something they need to improve on. Beside this, I found nothing to complain about.

That is definitely something that needs to be improved upon, I know that the people who aren't there and don't hear something when they think they should automatically start to think the worse. I am sure it is probably a matter of miscommunication on their end. Someone asks someone else to call and assumes the call is made.

That's not something I will have to worry about, as the only one who is in the know is my DBF and he's taking me there, along with Ruthi (if everything works out) and the only other ones to know are you here on the forum and hopefully I'll be online not too long after the surgery/recovery. :)