Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So excited- just getting started

Hi! I just went to my information seminar last week, and am starting my 6 month medically supervised weight loss program BEFORE surgery, which is required by my insurance. I hadn't realized that was required, and wish I'd started long ago- I had thought and thought about this so by the time I went to the seminar I was ready to do it NOW!!! But I know that a structured process is best. Just wondering, so I might know whether to anticipate any difficulties with insurance, anyone have experience with BC/BS? I know the procedure is covered, but am just wondering if they are easy to deal with. Nice to be here!!!:laugh:

Hi 3boyzmom,

I have read a couple of places that BCBS is one of the easier places to get approved but each state and plan is different. I started my process last June by asking my pcp if I was a candidate for a LapBand. She said yes and gave me a referral. I had to attend a seminar first and in the mean time I check my insurance qualifications. It required a 6 month physician supervised diet and exercise. Needless to say, I didn't get my appointment with the bariatric surgeon until February. By that time I was just under 40 BMI and the doctor said I might not qualify. I was so upset. A few weeks later I was called to tell me I was approved. Due to a work conflict, I was unable to schedule my surgery until 5/6. The past four weeks have been the hardest.

Good luck to you and I hope everything goes smoothly!

Edited by maclynn

I have BC/BS and my husband's policy had a written exclusion for weight loss surgery. I copied all of my records which included cancel checks for Weight Watchers, gym memberships, exercise equipment, ect.. I faxed all (65 pages) the info to pre Cerification and was approved in 20 days. I have surgery date of June 1st.

Good Luck!:laugh:

Thanks ladies! I do know that my BC/BS covers weight loss surgery, so that's the good thing. My BMI at the seminar was 36.2, but I do have a comorbidity of high blood pressure. It has never been very high, but just high enough that my PCP put me on a very small dose of medication. But that counts, I hope! I know all about the failed attempts- everything from Phen-fen and Tenuate back in the '80's, Xenical, every manner of herbal "miracle" that hit the shelves; exercise equipment, Weight Watchers (really a good program if you can stay with it, but if I could eat sensibly I wouldn't be in this predicament), and most recently Nutrisystem (lot of $$$, no results). I joined a gym in January thinking that if I just worked out hard enough I should see SOME results even if my diet didn't change- I do see results, but it has to do with toning and firming, but no weight loss (I work out 3-4 times a week). Of course that's the one thing that I can say I know is not a wasted effort because it's at least something that contributes to my overall health and will be really necessary as I lose wt., so it's good to already be in the habit. I wish you both the greatest success with your surgery!!! You will both be months ahead of me, so I can't wait to hear how your journey goes!!! Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Congratulations! I had to do the 6 month diet too. I thought it was gonna kill me waiting the 6 months but I made it. I just used that time to learn everything possible about the band.