Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very discouraging news

The clinic I was supposed to be having my surgery at is no longer taking patients. The public clinic has a 2 year wait list. I want to crawl into a hole and cry. I'm not going to be able to do this. I can't wait 2 years. My spirit will die long before then. Just when I had hoped for a better life I had my hopes taken away.

Will it be marginally effective at all to just follow the diet as if I was banded? Will it still work eventhough I won't be having the surgery?

I'm in Canada and am a single parent with 4 kids. There is no way I could afford to pay for the surgery so I have to go with the one that our publicly funded health care decides.

So, there is no option to go to a different province or anything? I am so sorry. I don't suppose with 4 kids you have the ability to finance the surgery elsewhere?

I guess the only thing to do is try to keep yourself intact for 2 yrs. If it's any help at all, we will be here for you to talk to.

The way our health system works is that I have to go to the nearest clinic for it to be funded, otherwise I have to pay all the expenses myself. I'm barely keeping us afloat now as it is, working 2 jobs and not getting any assistance from their dad. It would take me probably 10 years to save the money required.

Do you think it will help to go along with the Lap diet anyway?

Well, there isn't really a specific diet - but getting enough Protein and keeping the calories down would certainly be beneficial.

There are some financing companies that will give you a loan for this procedure - at least in the states. If you could afford to make a payment, you could check that out - but I know that it's similar to car finance. If you can't afford to buy a car for the cost of the surgery - then you probably can't swing the band financing.

Just to be sure, you might want to check out the Inamed website...

http://www.inamed.com/products/obesity/international/patient/patient.html

You can request info to see if there are any financing agencies doing loans in Canada.

(((HUGS)))

Hi Glasartist,

There must be an appeals process even with socialized medicine. IF the clinic is not taking any patients cant you appeal to go to the next closest one? Could you not write a letter that explains that without this surgery you could die from comorbidities and there wont be anyone to take care of your kids, pay taxes to keep the healthcare system going etc? Regarding the bandster guidelines, it can absolutely help you stick to a program of eating Protein and mostly veggies etc... While you wait for a solution. Do not give up hope. It might be harder for you to lose without the band, but you can lose weight.

Babs in TX

I would get on the waiting list as soon as you can, just so you are on it if you are going to try and do anything else. In the meantime, I'm sure you can lose weight if you eat like a bandster. Where the band come in most handy is those tough times when you want to just blow the diet. Unfortunately you wont have the help there, but try and keep the mentality. If you splurge on a meal or snack and have something you "aren't supposed" to have, don't give up for the day or week, get back on track with the very next meal. Don't have an "All or nothing" mentality, just have a "do my best" mentality. At the very least you'll be healthier when you do get your surgery.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your heartfelt replies.

I can't possibly get financing. I was in a bad marriage and my ex destroyed my credit by walking away from a house and all its responsabilities and leaving me in debt which I'm still trying to pay off 5 years later. I can't even get an overdraft at my bank much less a store credit card or loan. That's not an option.

There is no appeal process here. I either wait or pay for it on my own. Neither of those options will work for me. I'm in continuous pain in my joints and my feet especially because of my weight. I can't imagine another two years of this. It took a long time to decide to ask for help and want the surgery. To have to put my dreams on hold for two years is torture.

I will try to follow the bandster guidelines and eat as if I had the surgery. I wish I could get hypnotized to thinking I'd been banded. Maybe that would help :D

There just must be someone in the system you can talk to??!! Just try at least to make as many phone calls as possible to anyone who will listen. My heart is so sadden for you. I hope you get your miracle;0) Chin up & keep positive - you never know when something miraculous may happen. Definetly get on that waiting list. Also I think its great that you try & eat Proteins first & so forth- Anything is always better than nothing. You'll be in my prayers.

Hi Glassartist,

One thing that might bring some hope. There is a new drug that is going to be released soon and even Weight Watchers is getting prepared for it because they are afraid it will put them under like Phen Phen did. they are going to offer it along with their food program. I don't know much about it, but it's supposed to really work.

One other thing is that I think (not sure) that some of the Mexican docs will finance the operation. Maybe you could take out a loan and pay it back over 5 or 10 years.

One last possibility, have a fund drive for yourself. There are many ways to do it.

Here, we had a trail ride for a charity and everyone who came paid $25.00. It was held at a public park recreation area. I don't know what they have in Canada, but here, you don't have to pay to use the park....everyone who showed up was served a cheap lunch after the ride and they didn't mind giving the 25.00 for the good cause.

There may be other clubs that would be willing to help you out???

Or you could have some raffles or do other things to get donated money like sports teams and band clubs do. Maybe a carnival or something like schools do to raise money.

There has go to be a way...