Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

slow digestive system..has anyone experienced this

I was banded in June 2008. Everything seemed fine and on track until December 2008. I began experiencing problems and kept going back to the surgeon to have my band unfilled. I would feel ok a few days then go back to being sick again...excessive vomiting, dehydration, and minimal infrequent bowel movements. I have been through many tests the last few months, an upper GI, endoscopy, and most recently a GES..gastric emptying study. It's been determined my digestive system is working too slow. The purpose of the band is to keep the food in the stomach longer so you feel full, but mine seems to be to the extreme. I am getting backed up and theres no where for the food to go but back out the top. A gastroenterologist ordered the GES test and I have to go back for my follow up, but they suggest I take a medicine to speedup digestion...its called REGLAN. They said i had to sign a legal waiver before it could be prescribed though as it has major side effects including involuntary muscle reflexes and suicidal effects. Needless to say I will be refusing to take this medicine. I am scheduled to see my band surgeon to see what his opinion is, and I plan on having my band emptied for now. I have lost 93 pounds in 10 months, too fast really, as I can barely eat, and have never gotten beyong the soft foods stage. I was just curious if having the band has caused this effect on anyone elses digestive system. I did not have this situation before being banded. I dont know if emptying the band at this point will help my digestive system.

Do rethink the Reglan thing...all drugs have side effects. I don't mean to endorse it or minimize the risks, but either your surgeon or your primary provider can discuss the pros and cons with you. It is commonly prescribed for that issue and can help you. (band or no) Good luck!

Is there any way of determining whether this a problem you would have had anyway or has the band caused it?

I dont even take a panadol when I have a headache most of the time, so I'd be refusing to take medication like that too. I dont want to be on ANY regular medication, particularly not one with horrible side effects like that. But if this is something that is not caused by the band then I'd imagine at some point in time, you're going to have to seriously consider an effective treatment.

First thing to try is as you say, empty the band. Hopefully this will bring you relief without actual band removal.

Restless monkey are you familiar with REGLAN? I looked it up online and was scared to death reading all the potential side effects and having the dr's office ask me to sign a legal document before it could be prescribed.

im a nurse and im familiar with reglan. i've had several patients take it and i've never had any of them have any serious reactions or side effects. it generally works very well

The truth of it is that almost any prescription drug has side effects. And if a drug has had serious side effects in just a small percentage of people, they are required by law to advise you of it .... just like informed consent before your had your band surgery. Watch the ads for the medicines used to treat rhumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, for example. Makes the drugs sound scary as all get out but I have 3 friends with RA and 1 with fibromyalgia and they all get relief from those supposedly scary drugs with no side effects. Try it. If you don't like how you feel, then tell the doc you don't want to take it anymore. Nothing wrong with a test drive!

Thanks for the advice...in the next week I have appointments coming up with my family dr, the lapband surgeon, and the gastroenterologist, I will see what they all have to say. I know the gastro dr doesnt understand things about lapbands, and the lapband surgeon doesnt understand all there is to know about the digestive system, I just with the 2 of them were in 1 room with me when we discuss it. So many places I have gone or peopel I have seen are unfamiliar with lapbands and the effects...and there really is no long term research on any effects.

Restless monkey are you familiar with REGLAN? I looked it up online and was scared to death reading all the potential side effects and having the dr's office ask me to sign a legal document before it could be prescribed.

I too have given it to a few people (nursing student). I'll ask my husband (he's out running around right now) to be sure...he's been a nurse 25+ years and worked in a GI lab for a long time so will know the good AND the bad about it.

I know it is just for short term...and many drugs that would have bad effects LONG term are ok for a short while.

I'm totally NOT a doctor (although I will be a nurse in a month YAY :laugh: so that's why I suggested you discuss it with your surgeon (who is familiar with the lap band and complications thereof) and your primary (who is familiar with YOU and how you handle meds etc). They can help you decide.

OK husband just came in He said "It's pretty benign. EVERYTHING has side effects. It doesn't help with nausea like some claim but it does speed gastric emptying. I'd take it if it were prescribed to me"...

So ..you decide. I told him they wanted you to sign a release and he made the "raspberry" sound (if you know what i mean) and said again...everything has side effects.

With the caveat that he is not a doc either and neither of us know you or your whole medical picture...I think you may be safe to take it. Ask your docs, think it over.