Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's Going 2 Keep You on Track?

A few early Bunny Bandsters are stating that their early restriction is gone and that bandster hell has started. In the long run the band is just a tool to help us eat less while eating smarter. Has anyone been planning to use a program or eating plan to assist them or do you think the general/your surgeon's eating guidelines will do it?

Good question! My plan (subject to change LOL) is to never be on a 'diet' again...ever. I've been on them all and they don't work (well, I've lost a ton, but gained it back). I do plan to spend a lot of time upfront learning; how to eat healthier, exercise, counting calories, liquids etc., and yeah, I'll be stocking the cupboard with lots of low cal (shhh- yes, diet) foods. I'm going to TRY not to worry too much about what I'm losing or not during Bandster Hell (easier said then done...patience will be tested), and I've been saying since last year that I'm not expecting real restriction until the holdays this year (if it comes sooner then great!). I do plan to follow the Bandster rules, which means not drinking your calories ever (so no Protein shakes EVER once I'm past this pre-op time unless I'm running low on getting Protein in for some reason. I don't get the banders who are drinking 2 meals a day years out from banding...why get a band?). I'm hopeful that eventually (maybe a year or less out) I'll be able to eat the same healthy foods my family is eating (leave out the less healthy ones, but nothing will be totally off limits- I'll just have to figure small splurges into the day) but just a lot less without having to count calories etc. (hoping I'll know enough that it's all habit by then). If I'm not losing I'll go back to counting calories for awhile just to figure out what I'm doing wrong. So in other words I plan to follow the Banding guidlines and make this a lifestyle change. I know I can live with a new lifestyle, but I can't live forever on a diet. Sound like magic to me...we'll see how it goes.

I do think a plan like Weight Watchers is the kind of plan that people can incorporate into the bandster rules (you can do both together without breaking the rules) if they need the added structure to help them along the way and I know that's there if I need it.

Low carb has worked for me in the past...and I think with the tool I have now it will be successful longterm. Plus I won't have issues getting Protein in as the Low carb lifestyle is filled with Protein rich foods. My surgeon is also an advocate of low-carb which helps with my decision.

I don't plan on being on a "diet", but watching what I eat and trying to get my protein in will be a daily goal. I'm sure I'll have many slip-ups during my journey....but, unlike in the past I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I have this groovey little tool that will not allow past issues such as binge eating stop me.

I've seen some post where people were intigrating Weight Watchers into their band life and when I was at the local support group meeting they mentioned doing a South Beach type plan. I agree with you GB that I've lost and gained on many diets in the past. I lost weight pre-op using the 50 Million Pound Challange but it was a bit odd on sme days.

I do like the idea of structured eating plans though when my other half is out of town, road 2 weeeks home 1. Having a plan also made doing food diary easy.

Thanks for the input.........

Edited by JayTee562

Like BG I don't want to be on a "diet". My plan is to work towards being as healthy as I can. I'm a horribly picky eater, very few veggies that I like. But I want to change that. So my plan is to eat more veggies and less processed foods. I would love to say that I would never eat another processed product but I know that that is far fetched for me. But if I could limit those by 50-80% I would be thrilled!

I also plan to use working out or being active as additional tools to the Band. It also helps my goal of being healthy.

I have another great motivator and that is my chunky 5 yr old DD. I do not want her to go down the same road as I did. Her health can only benefit from the changes I make or that our family makes.

I'm with GB!! I did the suothbeach diet to get me started on my pre-op diet. My doctor said they follow that diet, so I thought I might as well start as I plan to go. It ends up that you incorporate more veggies and fruits into your diet, and just cut back on the carbs and fat. Healthy eating! thats what I plan to do.