Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

good answer...i LOVE it..i LOVE it!!!!....lol

Everyone likes to attack weight loss differently. There are those who like to combine exercise and nutrition; others change their eating only; and some would rather hit the gym and run rather than give up their favorite foods.

Weight loss is possible by watching what you eat exclusively, but the research says that any successful long-term weight loss program includes a strong exercise component. In fact people who diet often regain all the weight they've lost and then some. Not to mention that constantly restricting food can be irritating, leaving us feeling grumpy, tired and hungry all of the time.

So why is exercise better?

1. Exercise changes your metabolism

Physical activity changes the energy equilibrium (your metabolism) of your body by increasing the amount of energy your body needs every day.

2. Cardio burns calories

One pound of fat is equal to 3500 calories. So to lose weight you need a calorie deficiency of 500 a day to lose a pound a week (500 x 7 days = 3500). It's better to eliminate calories with exercise because restricting food can actually lower your metabolism.

3. Activity breeds more activity

Studies show that individuals who exercise are generally more active throughout the day.

4. Working out builds muscle

You can increase muscle mass and the size of your muscle Fiber by exercising (especially weight bearing activity). In order to nourish these fibers the body uses calories from fat that are stored in the body. As your energy requirements go up, you burn more fat during exercise and all day long. So the more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns, the faster you lose weight.

I'm not going to lie: It's hard to burn tons of calories through exercise alone. That is a lot of mornings hoofing it on the treadmill. Obviously for the best success, combining caloric restriction with exercise will get you to your goals faster. I like to eat high water-content and fiberous foods like veggies and fruits that are low in calories but still fill me up.

Find a few activities that you really enjoy doing, and get in at least twenty to thirty minutes a session a few times a week. My knees are bad, so even though jogging/running is a great calorie burner, I have to take a spin class or do a rigorous walk in order to get my time in. Figure out what is best for you so that you'll be able to maintain these activities on a regular basis and, ultimately, make a lasting life change.

i did NOT write this article...i saw it on yahoo...i exercise just a tad more than 20-30 minutes...:)

You know ill just toss it out there and say I HATE TO EXERCISE!! At the start of this journey at 359 lbs there was not much i could do. I did a lil walking and a lil treadmill, the weight did fly off. Low and behold the weight stopped FLYING OFF, i joined a gym........and it really has helped me maintain a steady weight loss since.

My real weight loss did not "kick in" fully until I started exercising. I didn't in the beginning but the exercise changed my loss from small with lenghty plateaus in between to a steady weekly loss for the most part. This was with about 5 hours of exercise a week on average.

For my body, I am sure that the band and eating habits probably got me 60% to goal . . . but I never could have closed the gap for the last 40% without exercising.

Im passionate about not just exercising but really putting in superhuman effort when you do it - it has incredible results.

Yet its weird because exercise on its own does little to strip weight - you cant outtrain a bad diet no matter what you do. Many fat people cross the finish lines when you watch an average marathon.

But absolutely, if you dont exercise you'll probably get half the result you would have and you'll struggle to keep the weight away. I find as long as I continue to run and strength train, I have maintained effortlessly pretty much eating whatever I want. With a loose band.

i was just banded 2 days ago and i am really struggling with walking due to a severe spinal injury last yr. i spent most of last yr in a wheelchair. just walking 5 mins is majorly painful on my back. i lost 4 pounds since the surgery, i hope it gets easier soon

weight.png

i was just banded 2 days ago and i am really struggling with walking due to a severe spinal injury last yr. i spent most of last yr in a wheelchair. just walking 5 mins is majorly painful on my back. i lost 4 pounds since the surgery, i hope it gets easier soon

weight.png

I have severe spinal disease needing a huge surgery along with severe arthritis in my knees (symptoms of that have improved already!). I cannot walk either without great pain and get little exercise, but still have had good weight loss results so far. Now that the knee pain has eased up I am able to ride an exercise bike and ai do that now along with my physical therapy exercises. You might try some Water exercises if you can fin access. The weight will come off even if you cannot exercise much initially!!