Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for those who went from band to sleeve.

For those of you who had the band and now have the sleeve,

1. Have you had any side effects like vomiting or reflux from eating too much?

2. Do you have a normal full sensation again?

3. Have you had any other side effects?

Just a little background since everyone seems so hesitant to reply. I currently am banded, almost for 2 years now. Have been having problems and been unable to lose weight for the last year. Trying to determine if it would be feasible to fix the everslipping band (if that is even possible) or if I should just have a revision to the sleeve or to bypass. I started out at 250, I am only 5'. I was down to 168 when my band all of a sudden became too tight and they did the first full unfill. I had some slippage at that point, but with the unfill and liquids it reversed. I gained quite a bit of weight during the almost 3 months with no fill. Even though I was still watching my diet and working out heavily. It's like my body had to restock. It's basically been the same thing for the last year and I'm currently at 189. Any help with other's experience would be appreciated.

I am band to sleeve. Hated the band, love the sleeve. Having a sleeve is like having a band that actually works without all the never ending complications.

All the newbies tend to love the band until they get about 1-2 years out and then they are sick of the problems.

There is vomiting from overeating but since you are banded you will probably see that you have already completed the learning curve to chewing small bites slowly so it isn't as much of an issue for us as it is noobs.

Feeling full with the sleeve feels just like it did before WLS. It's a different "full" with a band, it's back to normal "full" with a sleeve. Just like before WLS.

Nope, no side effects. Just leftover issues from the band. Esophageal damage, etc.

Sleeves ROCK!

It's nice to know that it's not all my fault that the band isn't working for me/with me. I can never tell when I'm supposed to be full, it's different all the time. I'm just ready for all of the pain and aggravation to be over. Now I just have to save the money!!! I hope to be able to fix this before I have any type of erosion, etc.

It's nice to know that it's not all my fault that the band isn't working for me/with me. I can never tell when I'm supposed to be full, it's different all the time. I'm just ready for all of the pain and aggravation to be over. Now I just have to save the money!!! I hope to be able to fix this before I have any type of erosion, etc.

I think one of the many reasons people have problems with banding is that we are used to eating until we are full vs. satisfied. Since "full" feels different than before surgery people keep eating while looking for full and it's not there. It's different. Then they eat too much and barf.

I revised from the band to the sleeve on 4/1 and have progressed from 10 days of Clear Liquids, to 7 days of full fluids, and am now on a soft diet until 5/2 when I go to a regular diet. I had HORRIBLE heart burn and acid reflux with the band but NO restriction. Three days after the sleeve surgery, I was able to lie flat on my back in bed and have NO heart burn or reflux.

Prior to the sleeve, my normal full sensation was only felt after I consumed excessive amounts of food and calories. With the sleeve, I felt restriction immediately and feel full after a very small amount of food intake. To get an idea, two ounces of tuna with 2 tsp mayo fills me until dinner. Taking my Vitamins and pills with coffee in the morning fills me to the point where I can't even eat Breakfast. This is something I never once experienced with the band. In fact, I think the band encourages poor eating. With the sleeve, I can eat healthy food... just a LOT less.

I'm now 24 days post-op, went back to work (RN) in a week, started working with a personal trainer this week, and have no side-effects.

Way to go Elizabeth! I loved it when I had my trainer.

Do you have a lot of trouble getting those pills you mention down in the morning? I take a lot of stuff. I have interstitial cystitis and there are a lot of herbs that really help with that. If I don't take them, I fee like somebody is shoving a red hot poker in my urethra. Sorry TMI but I just want to show how necessary it is that I take those. I figure I can dump most of them out and put them in Water, as they are capsules.

I bought some chewable Calcium and Vitamins, but I am also worried about my hormones.Those I take at night. My estridol is a patch, but my progesterone is a capsule and it's some kind of oily stuff in there that I don't think I can get out. I'll have to get that capsule down somehow.

Do you have a lot of trouble getting those pills you mention down in the morning? I take a lot of stuff. I have interstitial cystitis and there are a lot of herbs that really help with that. If I don't take them, I fee like somebody is shoving a red hot poker in my urethra. Sorry TMI but I just want to show how necessary it is that I take those. I figure I can dump most of them out and put them in Water, as they are capsules.

I bought some chewable Calcium and Vitamins, but I am also worried about my hormones.Those I take at night. My estridol is a patch, but my progesterone is a capsule and it's some kind of oily stuff in there that I don't think I can get out. I'll have to get that capsule down somehow.

I brought my Synthroid with me and took the dose that I was supposed to take the day of surgery at 10 PM with the antibiotic you're given to take. You also get Ativan for sleep but I did not take that because I was awake for over 36 hours by the time I finally went to bed and did not need it.

The day of surgery you get nothing to eat or drink. The day after surgery I drank the apple juice with the blue dye and took the synthroid. Until I was able to take a full Fluid diet, I only ate the chewable Multivitamins (one in AM and one in PM), took the synthroid, and dissolved the nexium mups as directed.

Since being on full fluids, I take all the Vitamins and Rx medications that I took prior to surgery. Maybe you could talk with your MD about which meds you need to take and see if him/her could substitute different meds? Remember to pack essential medications to take with you. The staff will crush whatever you ask them to.

You can always ask your doctor to change your progesterone to a cream instead! That way you won't have to worry about the horsepill! :unsure: Wouldn't hurt to try to make sure it works for you before the surgery :ohmy:

You sound just like me. The band worked great for me in the beginning. Then I had to have an unfill and it was all downhill from there. I wanted it out as soon as possible before any more complications set in. I am so glad I will never have to worry about another fill or unfill.