Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 ports? Can't be! But sure feels like it. What have I done!!

Hi All. Wondering if anyone can shed a little light on this for me. It has me up in the middle of the night worrying. :w00t:

I am 10 days post opp.

I can't tell which lump under my skin is the port. I have two very obvious lumps. I have one that is very tender and obviously lumpy and protrudes more after I have eaten. It's under the largest incision and more in the middle and slightly to my right side, the other one is bruised around the incision, definitely feels like there is something under the skin but it's not as tender. It's slightly more to the left side.

I had a hiatus hernia fixed at the same time and I'm wondering if going back to work and lifting a few things has caused this? Or perhaps it was the less than really mushy food I've eaten? (Although my dietitian did say to go ahead and try stuff if it wasn't making me vomit)

Could I be feeling the band and the port? Or is it the port and my hernia that i have now messed up by lifting too much, or was it when I had a coughing fit followed by a sneezing fit that brought me to my knees in pain. I thought I was going to pop the staples out and impale someone with them! :) You can see where my mind is going here!

I'm going to call the clinic tomorrow but was hoping to gain some insight here as well, as I"m sure the surgeon's don't want to be paged in the middle of the night by an anxious new bandster.

You're safest to check with your surgeon. If you disregarded any lifting restrictions it's possible it is a hernia. Your doc will know for sure.

It's NOT your band ... that is placed around the top of your stomach and is behind your liver. Hope it all works out ok for you!

Edited by RestlessMonkey

Hi there,

Call your surgeon's office of course. It could very well be a hematoma (sp?) under the incisions which is a gathering of blood and Fluid and leaves a large lump like you described. I have one and at about 10 days post op, I remember it being very sore.

Here is part of a copy of another post I left on different thread to give you my story of my first fill. If I were you, I wouldn't worry, but still call his office.

Anyway, he sticks the needle in and is digging around and can't seem to find it after all! He ended up sticking me 4 times before he found it! The lump that both he and I had been feeling was a hematoma (sp?) under the skin and the port was actually a little deeper than he thought! So, instead of me being the easiest ever, I wound up being the most difficult. He said he has never stuck someone that many times.

The hematoma will go down in time and he wants me to remind him next time that the prominent lump is not the port so I don't have to go through that again! Even after going through all that, it wasn't that painful, but I am a little sore tonight.

I agree that it could be a hematoma. I really don't think it is possible to have 2 ports but there must be something else going on. I would definitely call your doctors office so that they can get you in to be seen.

Is the dietitian that is progressing your diet affiliated with your surgeons group? If she is working directly with them and they are all in agreement with dietary changes then progressing the diet should be fine. If she happens to be a step removed from your surgeons group then I would gather their input as well regarding moving through stages quickly. 10 days post surgery is still fairly early and you have to tread very carefully.