Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for You Sleevers

What do you do when you need a big drink of Water. You know, the times where we are so thirsty we can drink a gallon so to speak.Do you eventually get too full or do you remain thirsty but can't fit anymore in your tummy? Also, can you drink and eat at the same time. I know you can't with the band, but what about the sleeve?

What do you do when you need a big drink of Water. You know, the times where we are so thirsty we can drink a gallon so to speak.Do you eventually get too full or do you remain thirsty but can't fit anymore in your tummy? Also, can you drink and eat at the same time. I know you can't with the band, but what about the sleeve?

I can drink a bottle of Water in a few minutes. It's slower going than before surgery but totally doable.

No drinking and eating together for sleeves.

No drinking and eating together for sleeves.

Why not? Since there is no band it wouldn't be an issue of making the food "go through" faster. Is it so sleevers don't fill up on liquids and not get enough to eat (whoops, I wrote Fluid there.. I meant food)?

Thanks!

*This is Ajalew posting again, I remembered my OLD password and username from several years ago on LBT and am using that*

Edited by MuffinBirdie

Why not? Since there is no band it wouldn't be an issue of making the food "go through" faster. Is it so sleevers don't fill up on liquids and not get enough Fluid?

Thanks!

*This is Ajalew posting again, I remembered my OLD password and username from several years ago on LBT and am using that*

Yes, it is an issue of food getting soupy and going through faster. It's also stressing the stomach and making it stretch more than it should. Keep in mind, the diameter of your stomach is about that of a pencil. There just isn't room for food and liquids.

Yes, it is an issue of food getting soupy and going through faster. It's also stressing the stomach and making it stretch more than it should. Keep in mind, the diameter of your stomach is about that of a pencil. There just isn't room for food and liquids.

quick note about below msg...I'm not trying to be argumentative here... I'm just trying to clarify since I don't completely understand. :(

How would Fluid in a sleever make the food go through them faster when in a full size (un-sleeved) stomach Fluid doesn't make food go through faster... or does it? Though I do understand how it could more easily cause stress on the seam if a person drinks and eats too much.

I've read that the part of the stomach that is left behind is a much stronger muscle than the removed section of the stomach and less prone to stretching. Have you read the same? I've read that makes the sleeved stomach less likely to stretch due to over eating (though that's not really a problem I have since I'm banded).

You've done so well with the VSG, I hope I find it to work well for me also.

Thanks for your help!

Mae

quick note about below msg...I'm not trying to be argumentative here... I'm just trying to clarify since I don't completely understand. :(

How would Fluid in a sleever make the food go through them faster when in a full size (un-sleeved) stomach Fluid doesn't make food go through faster... or does it? Though I do understand how it could more easily cause stress on the seam if a person drinks and eats too much.

I've read that the part of the stomach that is left behind is a much stronger muscle than the removed section of the stomach and less prone to stretching. Have you read the same? I've read that makes the sleeved stomach less likely to stretch due to over eating (though that's not really a problem I have since I'm banded).

You've done so well with the VSG, I hope I find it to work well for me also.

Thanks for your help!

Mae

Liquids go through your pyloric valve. Example, if I am drinking Water three gulps and I'm full. No more will fit and if I keep trying to drink I'll barf. But if I wait a few seconds it goes through my stomach and I can drink another 3 gulps.

Theoretically the sleeve won't stretch. I don't see any value in pushing that. ;o) It has in some cases but it doesn't seem to be the norm. I know one person who did get a revision by a Monterrey doctor after she stretched her sleeve. It was a problem, apparently the stomach tissue was too thin and it caused a host of problems later.

Liquids go through quickly, solids do not.

Liquids go through your pyloric valve. Example, if I am drinking Water three gulps and I'm full. No more will fit and if I keep trying to drink I'll barf. But if I wait a few seconds it goes through my stomach and I can drink another 3 gulps.

Theoretically the sleeve won't stretch. I don't see any value in pushing that. ;o) It has in some cases but it doesn't seem to be the norm. I know one person who did get a revision by a Monterrey doctor after she stretched her sleeve. It was a problem, apparently the stomach tissue was too thin and it caused a host of problems later.

Liquids go through quickly, solids do not.

Ah! That clarifies it well. Thank you for taking the time to straighten me out. :( I agree though... why push the envelope!

Ah! That clarifies it well. Thank you for taking the time to straighten me out. :( I agree though... why push the envelope!

I've had one revision surgery, I neeeeeever want another! ;o)

Here is an article about how food and liquid go through your digestive system:

Control of Gastric Emptying

I found this helpful in understanding some of the rules.

Even people who have had no WLS, would be better off not drinking about 15 minutes before and wait at least 1 hour after eating.

Why more "so called" weight loss programs don't say this is beyond me?

When you are on the liquid stage, do you need to wait after your have your Protein clear liquid before you should drink Water?

Maybe this is why I am so hungry.

When you are on the liquid stage, do you need to wait after your have your Protein clear liquid before you should drink Water?

Maybe this is why I am so hungry.

No, you don't have to wait on clears. I'm amazed you're hungry! LOL. I haven't experienced hunger since surgery. You must heal quickly! Bravo!

I am starving. My stomach feels like it's gnawing inside.

I really don't get why I can drink as much as I want, as fast as I can. WasA said it could be because my esophagus was/is dilated. I really have to force myself to slow down and not just drink my entire clear liquid Protein down all at once. Same with Water. I would really like to just suck down and entire 8oz glass of Water. It's really difficult for me to sip and go slowly.

Edited by Oregondaisy

I am starving. My stomach feels like it's gnawing inside.

I really don't get why I can drink as much as I want, as fast as I can. WasA said it could be because my esophagus was/is dilated. I really have to force myself to slow down and not just drink my entire clear liquid Protein down all at once. Same with Water. I would really like to just suck down and entire 8oz glass of Water. It's really difficult for me so sip and go slowly.

When they did the barium swallow, I was told my esophagus was VERY dilated and Dr. Aceves mentioned that again to me post-op. Maybe you didn't have a lot of swelling. Also, you don't have a lot of weight to lose so that could be a factor.