Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aetna approval and fluxuation of weight

Long time reader, first time poster, as the phrase goes.

I have Aetna EPO, and live in NY state. I am a LPN, so I was pretty careful to do my research, contact my insurance, make sure that lap-band was covered IN MY CONTRACT, got my letter from my PCP, went to seminar at my prospective surgeons office....and then hit a hurdle.

I have been 'basically' the same weight for 9 years. I am 5'7.5 and currently 275lbs. However, the issue is, I have been pretty persistant in attempting to lose weight. I have done Atkins, WW, all that fun stuff. I tend to lose weight very quickly for a short period of time...and then crash and burn and regain it all just as quickly.

Case in point: Oct '07, I started working nights. I ate once a day, and the rest of the time consumed coffee by the gallon. I lost 68lbs in 5 months. Then I got shifted back to working days....and gained it all back in 8 months.

The surgeon's office is telling me that Aetna will most likely NOT approve me for lap banding due to the fact that I have not been a consistant weight for the last 2 years, and that I have fluxuated several dozen lbs up and down over the last decade.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any way to fight it? I'm pretty much on my own as my PCP won't really fight for me.

Thanks!

-Ylissa

One year before I had surgery my weight was 40 lbs. lighter due to some meds I was taking. I didnt have any trouble getting approved by Aetna.

I have Cigna insurance, but all they required was proof of my BMI being over 20 for the last 24 months, so I only sent in the medical records that had my highest weights on them. I was approved in a day and a half.

Aetna doesn't have to see all your fluctuations...just send them your highest weights recorded at any doctor appointment in the last two years. Good luck!

Ylissa, I have the same problem! and please fill me in if you get an answer. I finished my requirements but the only thing I am scared about is that in 07' my bmi is 38 and in 08' its 40 and I know Aetna requires a BMI of over 40 and Im nervous about them denying me. So let me know what happens, thanks :lol:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Ladiva04

Hello,
      I had my surgery on the 25th of June of this year. Starting off at 117 kilos.😒
      · 1 reply
      1. NeonRaven8919

Congrats on the surgery!

• Sandra Austin Tx

I’m 6 days post op as of today. I had the gastric bypass 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • RacMag  »  bhogue925

Hi, I’m new here. I’m currently on the liver shrinking diet. So far so good, but I have to say I haven’t found a protein shake I like. Anyone have any suggestions please? My surgery date is September 17th. 
      · 2 replies
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife Core are by far the best. They taste just as they are - chocolate milk. You can either get the 26 grams or the 42 grams (harder to find and more expensive). For straight protein look at Bulksuppliments.com ..they have really good whey proteins and offer auto ship plus they test for purity. No taste or smell...

2. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife has strawberry, vanilla and of course chocolate. No more calories than other protein drinks. Stay away from Premiere, they're dealing with lawsuits due to not being honest about protein content.

• Doctor-Links

HGH For Sale
      hgh for sale at our online pharmacy

Human growth hormone (HGH) is a small protein which is made in part of the brain called the pituitary gland. It travels in your bloodstream all over your body to make your body grow.
      HGH is very important in the body. It is needed for children to grow normally. It helps make sure there is enough muscle and fat in the body. It keeps our bones healthy.
      Buy Rybelsus online, Rybelsus tablets
      You can order for wegovy at our online pharmacy
      Check for the prices of 0.25mg, 0.5mg and 1mg at our online pharmacy and buy ozempic.
      · 0 replies
    • Doctor-Links

hgh kaufen  in unserer Online-Apotheke  
      Menschliches Wachstumshormon (HGH) ist ein kleines Protein, das in einem Teil des Gehirns, der Hypophyse, produziert wird. Es wandert in Ihrem Blutkreislauf durch Ihren ganzen Körper, um Ihren Körper wachsen zu lassen.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches