Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI 32 / 60 lbs ...

I cannot see why people would have a problem with low BMI lapband surgery..

me either...

aliveandwell, i realized you directed your question to jachut - and she's a great resource here....but from my own experience, the chat rm here is not worth going to. too many feel they have the right to determine how others should manage their weight issue...sooner/rather than later is my view.

there are other great resources here, and the chat in MO is not one of them. low BMI patients do quite well & i suspect you will also.

I'm glad I found this thread. I too "only have 60" to lose (this time) and I'm getting the band on Thurs.I'd like to talk with others with the lower bmi's too.Good luck to all.

I thank you all so much for your input on low bmi and lapband. I understand about people larger than me, getting mad and thinking I am a joke when their goal weight, is what I am currently.but until they are in my deformed body and in my head, they cant understand how 50 lbs can hurt so much. I am not lazy, I do everything I am supposed to do. I can loose 8 lbs in a week and gain it all back in one day having done nothing wrong!!!!! I am 5.2 and should weigh 109-117, and being 176 hurts me. Is the band a good idea. Please give me all opinions. I am searching for everything everyone's got to tell me. I had 3 weeks to live with colon cancer and just celebrated 7 years, so I am a fighter.... but I cant drop this weight and keep it off ever since chemo.

Give it to me straight should I do this. I am hurting my family because I wont go out in the summer. I'm not vain, just not as self confident to walk around in shorts having obese knees hang out of my shorts. I need to make a move now . This seems like my last hope now.

Mary Lou: FEAR - Such an awful emotion. Yet, a necessary evil as it keeps all other emotions balanced and "in check". And especially when what you fear is the unknown... That being said, I would never have scheduled this surgery if I hadn't had my follow-up care in place. Meaning, a well known local doctor who I could go to for follow-up care. So that is & should be a key component to deciding if you should have this done or not. Whether the care was to be for fills & regular maintenance, or god forbid anything else with respect to getting the band, you should know who you will go to after the surgery is done. There are never going to be guarantees with anything. That's what I would tell my clients before heading into the courtroom. But you have to weigh all the factors surrounding your personal case, and if everything points to a more favorable outcome, then it's a risk that I'm ready and willing to take. When I think about having this done in a few weeks, I get those butterflies in my stomach because I feel nervous and slightly scared - But all in a good way. Much like my very first date with a boy when I was in high school. I'm excited to start this next chapter in my life and know that in the long run, I'll be in a better place physically & emotionally. It is not an easy decision, and it may very well be not a good fit for you... So I wish you much luck on your journey to a thinner and happier you. :eek: For me, this is the right decision -

Alivenadwell: I meant to reply in my above post to you. *sorry*! I too was in your shoes a few weeks ago as I was the one to start this thread. For me, it seems like the right decision. Although I was VERY hesitant because I didn't feel justified. But as it was very eloquently pointed out to me - 60 lbs is a lot to lose!!!! And I won't go out in shorts either!!!! But I am hoping that those feelings will change by the end of the summer. I am excited about having this done, so I am more than happy to post any follow-up "happenings" as I go along this journey of mine. Good luck to you too!:eek:

Give it to me straight should I do this. I am hurting my family because I wont go out in the summer. I'm not vain, just not as self confident to walk around in shorts having obese knees hang out of my shorts. I need to make a move now . This seems like my last hope now.

i'm shorter than you - barely 5'1, and was 195 the morning of surgery. i have arthritis (spinal) and that was my only issue going into this, and the more i weighed the worse it became just to do the daily gig.

won't lie , vanity played into this - i was a college athelete - tomboy and i never cared so much how i looked ....... till it got out of hand. and my sporty body turned into mush.

if your dr and surgeon are on board - i say go for it!!!

Hi everyone! I have a BMI of 31. I am being banded on May 21 by Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana Mexico. I am a Nurse and know 3 other Nurses who have been to this MD and had a wonderful experience & Outcome. This was why I chose Dr.Ortiz. Thought I would pass it along to you all who cant decide on a Doc.

Hi Everyone - I'm glad to have found this thread. I am teetering on this surgery for all the reasons i've read so far. I am also human and thus a little vain and am interested in this single incision procedure, you know so there's no scars when i wear my first bikini ever! anyone been through the SILS procedure?

Also, does anyone know who the best surgeon in los angeles is? I can't believe how many people are going to mexico...I'm too scardy cat for that!

last thing..what does PB stand for?

Edited by thatgirljess

I am also looking for the sils. Single incision. I am in Riverside county California. Just starting to research, will let you know what I find in Cali.

ksk Thank you for your inspirations and thoughts. What scars me is that I'm 61, almost 62!..I don't have anyone here that takes care of you if something goes wrong. She will do the fills and unfills but that's all. What would happen if I should get dementia or Altzheimer, what happens if you should get the flu and you throw up from that. That's what scares me, I would have to go back to Mexico to get this removed. Not that I'm expecting any of these ugly things, but sometimes I think I'm go old to get this band. All you guys are pretty much younger than me and have a lot of years to get it right. Don't get me wrong as I don't think I'm old but anything can happen. I have a very good friend that has Altzheimer and she is much younger than me. She had signs about 55 years old and she is now 63. A very good friend that can't think for yourself or fix her meals or do much of anything on her own. Anyway, all kinds of things are going through my mind now, so I'm just not sure it's a good decision for me. Thanks for listening

I am also looking for the sils. Single incision. I am in Riverside county California. Just starting to research, will let you know what I find in Cali.

thanks! i'll do the same.

We go to Mexico because we can't afford it otherwise. It was anywhere between $10-20,000 here and $6000 there, so the choice was obvious for me. Exact same device and procedure and Mexico has actually been doing lapbands for longer than in the US.

That's awesome if you can afford it here though. Would have loved to just drive a few hours and then be home.

I totally understand, and the prices are VERY attractive. I didn't mean it to sound at all condescending. I'm just battling with the fear of surgery, compounding it with having surgery in a foreign country and it may be more than i can handle!