Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Lap Band Buddy / Mentor What should I expect?

Hi...I'm going to the 5 hr orientation tomorrow at kaiser richmond. I'm really excited about the possibility of getting the lap band! I'm not to sure what to expect from here on out. can anyone estimate the amount of weight the surgeon will want me to lose before the surgery? how long does the process takes from orientation to the banding procedure? if there is anyone who woould like to share I would greatly appreciate your support/advice. thank you :rolleyes:

I was just banded at Kaiser Richmond on 4/13/09. One week out and recovering............

My orientation was December 14, 2009 so I took about 4 months. They say it takes about 6-7 months but if you lose the weight quickly it could be faster.

The doctors want 10%.......some a little more, some a little less.......but plan on 10%.

Orientation is alot of information and they will give you the pre op diet and rules. Follow it carefully and try to lose before your next appointment..........

The faster you lose the faster it all goes..................

Also don't let them scare you. The orientation is for weeding out people who are not serious. From what I hear about 90% of the people at orientation don't make it through the program. Be one of the 10% to complete the program.......................

You should come over to the richmond kaiser part of the forum.............we have a very good support system over there and we have all been going through Richmond Kaiser..........4 of use banded so far.............3 more waiting. You will lots of answers over there

Thank you for your response! You are so right when you said "don't let them scare you." They did scare me! they made it sound like we wont lose the weight with the band! I am willing to work as hard as I have to. I really want this! How do I get to the other forum? thanks again!

Well, I had my initial consult with my surgeon at kaiser richmond....and Boy he put me in a tail spin....he thinks that I should have the gastric bypass surgery instead because lapband patients aren't as succesful....HELP I'm confused by this, I read the forums on here and everyone seems to be pretty succesful. I don't persoanly know anyone who has had the lapband to talk to about this, and I really would appreciate anyone willing to give opinions or comments on the matter.

Who is your surgeon? What is your BMI? Lapband takes more work and motivation. There are pros and conswith both. I also felt that push towards gastric through kaiser bit I decided on the band knowing I would have to work harder at it!! My BMI was 40 and the band tends to work better with BMI of 42 of below according to my surgeon. Kaiser just wants you to be sure you know the stats and only you know how much work your willing to put in.........I have been banded only two weeks and have lost 10 pounds. But I lost 25 pre op........I was afraid with gastric bypass of the malabsorbtion and getting sick since I am vegetarian!! That was the deciding factor for me......

My surgeon is Alberts H. Im. He seems nice enough, but I don't want to have the gastric bypass! I think the real deciding factor for me is because I haven't had children yet and I'm afraid to get pregnant after the gastric bypass..... I'm 27 yrs old. I weighed 282 at orientation on 4/21. when I went to the psych app. on 4/29 I was 274...I met him the same day cause there was a cancelation and I took it cause I live in sacramento. My Bmi is 50 (ugh) I feel terrible about this and i'm willing to put in the work. I have lost weight before, but after I got married I gained 70lbs... I have never been able to keep weight off! I can lose 30 or 40 lbs but then bam i gain it back! he told me that when I reach 255 i can make my appointment with the case manager at that point my bmi will be 46.... I REALLY need some advice. I also think another thing that worries me about the bypass is all the lose skin...I think the lap band would be better for me because as I continue to work out it will tone up cause i will lose it slower right?? Thank you for answering my questions! it means alot!

Shia if you want the lap band than just be firm about that. I know what your saying because I felt pressured to go with gastric as well. But I know lap band is better for me.

My surgeon is Dr. Baggs and I really like him. He gave me all the pros and cons and than let me decide.

I started at 254 in December and has to get to 241 for surgery. I also had my psych and surgeon appointment on the same day due to a cancellation. That was January. In February I had my CM appoiintment and could have had surgery that month but waited until April so I could go to AFrica for a month:-) I have been baned for 3 weeks now. Still sore. I have lost 10 pounds in three weeks. I know the weight lose is slower and that I have to be constantly on a diet. I have also lost and gained several time over the year. The band is to help me stay at goal after I lose. I do notice that I get full much faster now.

Hey Shia there are lots of us that went through Kaiser and have lap band. Many of them are your weight or above 300 and they are losing and doing well with the lap band.

Seriously you have to get over the Kaiser Richmond thread because there are somy people over there that would talk you through it. We are all in Sacramento and get together a couple of times a month. You really need to start hanging out with us and asking your questions over there. We are a very supportive group and we can walk you through Kaiser Richmond including how to stand up to the gastric pressure at Richmond!!

Go to search at the top of the forum page. Type in Kaiser Richmond....................than go into that thread. Also read the old post if you want to get educated on Kaiser. You seriously need to be part of our group. Most of us have Dr. BAGGS through Kaiser richmond!!

Hi, I started my journey at the end of april of 2008 (orientation first). They told us that it could take up to 1 years to be banded, insurance requirements etc. Well for me I went to see the nurse first where she explained the whole procedure to me and asked If i was still interested and of course I said yes, then I seen the dietician and spoke with her. They told me that I needed to have a psyche eval at the orientation which that was done in june and I passed it.. it has 500 questions on it its called MMPI 2 test. I had to see the dietician a total of 6 times thats what my insurance required. I completed all of those things and they sent out that info to my insurance company and i was approved in 2 days ( super fast) I was excited when I got the letter from them that I was approved for surgery, I met with my surgeon and he asked what type of surgery I was having ( lap band) and I signed some papers he had, then I met with his nurse and I got my surgery date which was december 19th. So it took me nine months and it was well worth it to me.

this is not a speedy process, i do have friends who only needed 3 dietician visits as well and they had there surgeries a little sooner than mine. You can only see the dietician once a month... i thought perhaps I could do it all in one week..lol Im not a patient person at times.

But hang in there I wish you the best in your journey.. keep me posted

And I didnt need to lose weight before the surgery at all. Some people do if they are over 450 lbs.